GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wii-diculous"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/11/06 at 12:31
Regular
"8==="
Wish they'd released the Wii in August/September when I was still interested in it.

Now it just looks so mind-crushingly boring. I want complication, not simplification and I want re-invention that's actually likely to be fun and worth playing online.

I do not want another load of shallow 'play for ten minutes and get bored' titles - you can get them off Live Arcade for as little as £3.50.

So first of all: No online to speak of yet. Nice one, woop-di-doo, let me just run down the shops and buy one right now!

Secondly oh it's all the familiar licences trotted out AGAIN, oh you mean those very same licences that I played on the N64 and got bored with on the Cube? Shock horror!

Oh let's not forget that oh-so brilliant FPS from Ubisoft that's getting RAVE reviews... a sequel's in the works already you say? Ummm.

So it's past-gen graphically, dumbed-down and currently offline? Wow just let me get my cheque-book out, clearly Nintendo are on the ball when it comes to not dissappointing people.

Revolution was a much better name too. What self-respecting kid is going to own a console called the Wii? The name obviously screams 'pee-take' from the off.

I really hope we see something with depth and/or a decent online multiplayer. A fluffed-up Gears of War rip-off would do nicely, that's complicated but not too complicated and brilliantly innovative but without losing it's core audience.

Ho-hum.
Fri 01/12/06 at 17:04
Regular
"8==="
pb wrote:
>
> So they wanted each game to have it's own style of points
> (usually that means it will have a scorechart or something
> though)

Fair enough but we already have that on the 360, they're called leaderboards and they're game-specific. :D
Fri 01/12/06 at 13:04
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Bah i was 8th best in Europe at one point on Socom, i cared dammit!! :-D
Fri 01/12/06 at 12:49
"possibly impossible"
Hedfix wrote:
> pb wrote:
>
> No, the only thing it does is keep track of how long you've
> been
> playing and what game. I guess it could be up to individual
> games developers as it is on the PS3.
>
> There's no set in stone achiements system on the PS3 either? I
> heard there was one but if developers can opt out that'll be a
> pretty odd situation.

Not that I know of. Last news I heard was that Sony explained it by Jack Tretton stating that,"It's very difficult to draw analogies [between] your success on SOCOM and your success on Madden. Madden players care about peoples' success on Madden."

So they wanted each game to have it's own style of points (usually that means it will have a scorechart or something though)
Fri 01/12/06 at 12:40
Regular
"8==="
pb wrote:
>
> No, the only thing it does is keep track of how long you've been
> playing and what game. I guess it could be up to individual
> games developers as it is on the PS3.

There's no set in stone achiements system on the PS3 either? I heard there was one but if developers can opt out that'll be a pretty odd situation.
Fri 01/12/06 at 12:39
Regular
"8==="
Certainly not, the ranked setup is currently pretty FUBAR and I've yet to hear different.
Fri 01/12/06 at 12:37
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Heh, the 360 version of COD3's crying out for a patch and I won't
> be buying it until it gets a sizeable one to fix the multiplayer
> bugs.

It's still a mess? I thought they'd have learned their lesson from COD2 :(
Fri 01/12/06 at 12:36
"possibly impossible"
Hedfix wrote:
> Heh, the 360 version of COD3's crying out for a patch and I won't
> be buying it until it gets a sizeable one to fix the multiplayer
> bugs.
>
> Quite enjoy earning achievements at the mo, does the Wii have
> such a system on it?

No, the only thing it does is keep track of how long you've been playing and what game. I guess it could be up to individual games developers as it is on the PS3.
Fri 01/12/06 at 12:34
Regular
"8==="
Heh, the 360 version of COD3's crying out for a patch and I won't be buying it until it gets a sizeable one to fix the multiplayer bugs.

Quite enjoy earning achievements at the mo, does the Wii have such a system on it?
Fri 01/12/06 at 12:28
"possibly impossible"
And the Wii will have those other titles. You can argue that multi-format titles will not benefit from the Wii's lack of graphical finesse, and that may turn some people off, but games such as Call of Duty 3 are on the Wii at launch (which means they will be improved for future releases) which uses the Wii remote to create a different feel to the game.

The issue with Call of Duty 3 on Wii is that it doesn't have multiplayer, though. But this is mainly Nintendo's fault for not sorting out their online gaming options on time for 3rd parties. Once this is sorted, future games like this and other franchises/new racing, FPS, sports and other games will use it and you'll have the choice of different control method vs better graphics + more money.

Oh, and Spidey 3 will have a version specially created for the Wii to use the new control system.
Fri 01/12/06 at 12:25
Regular
"8==="
That's probably the journo's making educated guesses then since most of the early reports I've browsed through have been along the lines of 'Here's a new trailer - beyond that we still know next to nothing about the title'.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.