GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GT3 - 'minor' problems in Japan"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/05/01 at 09:34
Regular
From http://www.granturismo.com

-----

Sony has confirmed receiving numerous complaints from gamers bemoaning the fact that GT3 does not work with their console, resulting in the Japanese giant offering help for those affected Reports have surfaced on the web stating that a sizeable number of Japanese gamers have been unable to experience the myriad joys of possibly the World’s greatest racer, Gran Turismo 3.

The story that ran on the Mainichi Interactive site, suggested the problem may have been caused by a decline in performance of the PS2’s optical reading device. Sony has vigorously denied there is any fault with the initial shipment of hardware, but has acknowledged a problem exists. It cites DVD lens cleaners as a possible source for any deterioration the optical device may suffer. To compensate those afflicted, Sony is offering to replace the necessary parts of the console but will only cover shipping costs, the owner having to fork out for the repairs. In Japan, the repair operation costs 9,000 yen (about £50).

A spokesman for Sony Europe had no comment to make on the situation as Sony is still investigating the situation and there is no proof that it has anything to do with faulty hardware. Nevertheless, as with the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo, Gran Turismo 3 is another high profile title that’s giving Sony some problems. Whatever the cause, European gamers can only hope this will be ironed out by the time the game is released in mid-July.
Fri 18/05/01 at 09:34
"High polygon count"
From http://www.granturismo.com

-----

Sony has confirmed receiving numerous complaints from gamers bemoaning the fact that GT3 does not work with their console, resulting in the Japanese giant offering help for those affected Reports have surfaced on the web stating that a sizeable number of Japanese gamers have been unable to experience the myriad joys of possibly the World’s greatest racer, Gran Turismo 3.

The story that ran on the Mainichi Interactive site, suggested the problem may have been caused by a decline in performance of the PS2’s optical reading device. Sony has vigorously denied there is any fault with the initial shipment of hardware, but has acknowledged a problem exists. It cites DVD lens cleaners as a possible source for any deterioration the optical device may suffer. To compensate those afflicted, Sony is offering to replace the necessary parts of the console but will only cover shipping costs, the owner having to fork out for the repairs. In Japan, the repair operation costs 9,000 yen (about £50).

A spokesman for Sony Europe had no comment to make on the situation as Sony is still investigating the situation and there is no proof that it has anything to do with faulty hardware. Nevertheless, as with the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo, Gran Turismo 3 is another high profile title that’s giving Sony some problems. Whatever the cause, European gamers can only hope this will be ironed out by the time the game is released in mid-July.
Fri 18/05/01 at 12:55
Regular
Lucky thing for us is, these repairs will cost nothing as no-one in the UK could have had a PS2 for over a year, unless it's imported. If you've got an import, be afraid, be very afraid.
Fri 18/05/01 at 19:02
Regular
Oh dear. I hope this doesn`t affect us. It wouldn`t be nice to fall out with my PS2.
Fri 18/05/01 at 19:42
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
It could be becuase of the design change in Japan. The early PS2's didnt have the built in DVD drivers. But I know that there are a few people who have GT3 and a early PS2 and have no problem. If it is becuase of the lense I hope mine doesnt break. If it does I hope its when its still under warranty. If its due to lense cleaners then thats alright as I never use them.
Sat 19/05/01 at 09:28
Regular
lense cleaners?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.