GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"any feel a little let down by HL2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Mon 29/11/04 at 19:22
Regular
"Captain to you."
don't get me wrong it wasn't a terrible game but, i got so bored when 70% of the game was burning around the countryside on a buggy or a boat. Then every 5 mins having to get off to solve a simple puzzle or shoot a few things then get back in and drive off again. Parts of the game where great like ravenholme felt really good. But i just didn't feel that must play feeling that you get with alot of really great games. Painkiller and farcry got me gripped and i played for hours, but hl2 i just played on anf off as it didn't grab my attention. It's a good game but no where near as good as i had hoped. fighting the striders and the airships was boring it was jsut running around till you found a rocket create. counterstrike source makes up for alot.
Sun 12/12/04 at 22:22
Regular
"-_-"
i liked those huge blades you could use and you shudda seen my face when that one in like the town square thing breaks when you have all those big head grabbed guys coming towards you. it was something like this: /=-O
Sat 11/12/04 at 22:45
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
yeah, I have some problems with it.... you can see my breakdown in the other faults with the game thread (called 'the problem with Hl2') which is currently floating around the top of this forum.
Tue 30/11/04 at 13:10
Regular
I thought Ravenholm was wonderful. Resorting to picking up plants of wood with my grav gun in close quarters because of running out of ammo, and then later using the shotgun against those alien-3-dog-type things. Great stuff.

I enjoyed the airboat and buggy sections too. Those antlions that look like they've come straight from Starship Troopers are great to kill.

Brilliant game. Haven’t got to Nova Prospekt though yet.
Tue 30/11/04 at 12:03
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I thought the game was nigh on perfect. Every second I played I always found something new to keep hooked, there was rarely a moment in the game I felt bored, something few recent FPS have managed.

The level design was excellent, Valve really did something amazing there, City 17, Ravenhorn, Nova Prospect, the Citadel all brilliant and varied.

The vehicular section where perhaps the weakest part of the game, but then Vehicular section do tend to be the naffest part of any FPS, even Halo which did a pretty good job of it, but ultimately failed to excite with repetitive "Drive here, jump over hill, run midget aliens over, repeat to fade". Nothing beats going around on foot and getting up close with your surroundings.
Tue 30/11/04 at 09:33
Regular
I heard a few people complaining about the Air Boat section, played it and loved it, amazing fun.

I must say I am struggling to find faults, one of the best games out there without a doubt. Loooooooong time since I have enjoyed a game this much.
Tue 30/11/04 at 08:34
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
eye'Aoe wrote:
> I thought Ravenholm was perhaps the worst (but far from bad) part of
> the game.

Personally thought it was brilliant, and a playground of physics and traps. Car goes up, CRASH, car comes down. Car goes up, CRASH, car comes down.

The only part I started to get a little weary of was the riverboat section, which is a lot of peoples most exhilerating moment.
Tue 30/11/04 at 00:29
Regular
There are no bad sections in this game.
Mon 29/11/04 at 22:40
Regular
"Captain to you."
it was the only part of the game that to me had any feeling behind it all the rest just seemed very plain, i liked the idea of a whole town taken over by the head-crab zombies and the dark and dirtiness of it. the last level just felt like a long run nothing really mattered there was no way that i was going to die to all the crappy things vs. my grav gun it was a rubbish last level far to easy. the game was pretty good i just didn't feel much towards it while playing which i was a bit dissapointed by cause i had such high hopes. the new painkiller add-on has got me much more excited.
Mon 29/11/04 at 22:21
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I didn't enjoy Ravenholm too much really.
Maybe I'm just a bit of a girl but it was scary.
Mon 29/11/04 at 19:29
Regular
"\\"
I thought Ravenholm was perhaps the worst (but far from bad) part of the game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.