GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Perfect scores!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/05/01 at 22:33
Regular
The latest PSW has reviews of both Gran Turismo 3 and Formula 1 2001. Needless to say both got perfect 10 ratings!! I always knew that GT3 would but didnt know about F1 2001. Thankfully it does sound every bit as good as it looks and I cant wait to get it next week!!
Thu 17/05/01 at 22:33
Regular
"Whatever!"
The latest PSW has reviews of both Gran Turismo 3 and Formula 1 2001. Needless to say both got perfect 10 ratings!! I always knew that GT3 would but didnt know about F1 2001. Thankfully it does sound every bit as good as it looks and I cant wait to get it next week!!
Fri 18/05/01 at 07:01
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
10/10 may sound good for gt3 but in percentage it was lower than what ssx got. Opinions differ but you'd be mad not to buy it.
Fri 18/05/01 at 09:52
"High polygon count"
Although I admit it does look good, F1 doesn't interest me as much as it used to; probably because I lost interest in the real thing with the last batch of restrictions they placed on the cars.

GT3 however... there are only two reasons not to buy this game, IMHO, and they are:

1) You *hate* racing games.
2) You are stupid!

I have a friend who has a PS2, and says he likes racing games. He's buying F1, but not GT3. He reckons he prefers 'simulations', and GT3 is 'poor' because there's no car damage and crashes.

Therefore I think my friend is stupid! And yes, I have told him so!

According to the developers (from an interview in the latest official mag), there are two reasons the crashes and damage aren't yet in the GT games, despite their wanting to include them:

1) Some of the manufacturers still won't allow their cars to be shown in damaged form.
2) A high-speed crash would result in severe damage, rolling, explosions, and other such game-ending problems.

They apparently want GT to be about the racing aspect, and feel that terminating a race prematurely by crashinig would spoil the fun aspect.

Personally, while I admit that it is odd to hit a barrier at 180mph and bounce off is strange at first, you do get used to it, and for me it doesn't spoil the game. The rest of the game is just so perfect, that for me this is a very minor issue.

The GT series has always had such sublime handling that, once you learn the tracks, you rarely hit the barriers anyway - so it becomes less of an issue the better you get. Even so, if you do make a mistake, it can be hard enough getting back into the race anyway, especially if you're only running races at a few laps.

I suppose the solution - physical damage aside - would be to allow crashes/rolls etc., but have an option to disable them and have a 'classic' GT race. That way everyone would be happy.

What do the rest of you think?
Fri 18/05/01 at 10:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

however... there are only two reasons not to buy this game, IMHO,
> and they are:

1) You *hate* racing games.
2) You are
> stupid!

A tad harsh sir.
I've got GT1 and 2.
Dont really think I'm getting GT3 basically because I've done it.
Now, I'm not knocking this game at all, I think this and MGS2 will sell a lot of consoles, which is a good thing.

Why I think I'll be passing on this one:

Gran Turismo set the benchmark for racers on ANY platform.
Never seen before realism, driving AI, handling, lets you get a load of dream cars etc etc.
Fantastic fun and serious sim all rolled into one shiny package.
Loved it.

Gran Turismo 2 came out and I got it on release day.
2 disc, improvement in graphics, handling, cars, a disc that smells of pit-stops...er..well I bought it anyway.
But, strangely, I found myself not playing it so much after a month or so.
I've done about 59% of it and havent touched it in months.

Not because it's a bad game, far from it, but I just found (apart from the graphical polish) pretty much the same thing with a couple of extra tracks.
Don't get me wrong, it still stands head and shoulders above most games on any platform, just wasn't enough of a departure on the original.

GT3 - Demo is good, graphics look amazing and all the superlatives heaped on it are worthy.
I'm just left thinking "Yeah...but it's the same tracks, a few new cars but it's the same thing...buy car, win, upgrade and win more".

Don't start frothing at the mouth, I'm saying GT3 looks to be a superior title in every respect - just not my cup 'o tea.
Personally, I'm waiting for The Getaway, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Stuntman - Simply because it's more than just racing, winning, racing, winning.

*waits for the derogatory and hostile responses*
Fri 18/05/01 at 10:28
"High polygon count"
Goatboy wrote:
> *waits for the derogatory and hostile responses*

WHY YOU LITTLE...

No, fair point. The 'stupid' comment was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek; in retrospect it would probably have benefited from having a ';-p' after it.

Yes, GT3 is very much the same as its predecessors in terms of gameplay and options etc., and I've always said that a game doesn't need amazing graphics if the gameplay is there. But - for me anyway - despite having oodles of gameplay in both previous versions, GT is one of few games that will benefit greatly from the much-enhanced graphics.

I want it so bad it hurts!
Fri 18/05/01 at 10:31
Regular
I do not think it is in dispute that the Gameplay on GT3 with be similar to the other versions, what set it out fromn the rest is the detail, driving in the rain, the sun throght the trees reflecting on the back of the car, the kick up of dust from the tyres, the glowing breake disks ,it is the visual aspects that will sell the game.

But at the end of the day it is all about personnel opinion, i am sure there will be those that say they do not like MSG2 or SSX, they probably need locking up but it is their own choice and i am sure you will not get beaten up for your opinion, well not much anyway !!
Fri 18/05/01 at 19:01
Regular
"Whatever!"
I think that F-1 cars have been confirmed as a bonus feature in GT3!! Should be quite interesting - Also there is a hidden track which Ive seen a screenshot from which closely resembles the Monaco F-1 course.
F-1 in GT3!! Is this going to be the ultimate racing game or what!!
Sat 19/05/01 at 10:14
Regular
GTA3
MGS2
Red Faction
The Getawy
will all get 10/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.