GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"E Tec Router Help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/01/05 at 21:35
Regular
Hi again,
Ok My E Tec Broadband Router with built in firewall, is it clever enough for me to block certain sites from being accessed? I have two children at home and the eldest is being nosey and looking for things he should not be! and I wondered if it is possible to block certain sites via the router?

If not what would be a solution if any available? still using windows 98 SE

Kev
Tue 25/01/05 at 09:41
Regular
"NULL"
I think WebSense was the content advisor that the county council uses on the schools in the area. Damned annoying that thing!
Tue 25/01/05 at 09:20
Regular
Yes its s steep learning curve! we do have adaware and anti virus, and I have tried to tell him that his actions are putting the rest of our network at risk from attack, but at that age he knows best! oh the joys of a parent.

I switched on the "content advisor" in windows but it blocks every single site on the planet, untill you say otherwise!

Will need to think of something though as am not happy letting him have full access as it is just now, I thought he was going to use the internet to help his education. KIDS

Kev

Hmmm... wrote:
> Related to your question, this may be of interest after reading some
> of your recent posts.
>
> Now that your family are making use of a broadband connection it is
> more likely that your PC will be hit with something malicious -
> especially as you may be on something of a learning curve...
>
> Make sure you have installed all the latest Windows Updates and your
> anti-virus is current. It you run a s/w firewall as well as NAT in
> your router this will also alert you to any strange outgoing
> connections from your PC if there should be something malicious
> running. Get familiar with Ad-Aware and similar applications, you may
> need them soon.
>
> Probably the most effective tool for stopping your children visiting
> unsuitable sites is education. If that doesn't work, once they've
> filled the PC with adware, spyware, malware and viruses you will have
> a whole new world to contend with.
>
> There are lots of sites that have information on PC security - might
> be worth a read. Good Luck ;¬)
Tue 25/01/05 at 09:20
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Some solutions:

IE Content Advisor.
Set up seperate accounts for each user on the PC and admin the content settings in IE for each account.

Net Nanny
Simple application, uses a list of known sites/words etc to allow prents to limit their kids access, though some historical issues with images of Murray Walker;)

People will slate this but: Norton Internet Security Pro 2004/2005
Content filter in this is actually very good and flexible

I've heard there's soon to be a domestic version of WebSense. If this ever see's the light of day (and I hope not after suffering it for 5 years), then this will be the ultimate parent/filter tool on the market.

Thank God I have several years before I have to worry about my own kids doing stuff like this. Though by the time my son is old enough to gain an interest in pr0n, they'll have bio-mechanical implants for this kind of thing!;)
Tue 25/01/05 at 09:08
"Are you sure?"
Related to your question, this may be of interest after reading some of your recent posts.

Now that your family are making use of a broadband connection it is more likely that your PC will be hit with something malicious - especially as you may be on something of a learning curve...

Make sure you have installed all the latest Windows Updates and your anti-virus is current. It you run a s/w firewall as well as NAT in your router this will also alert you to any strange outgoing connections from your PC if there should be something malicious running. Get familiar with Ad-Aware and similar applications, you may need them soon.

Probably the most effective tool for stopping your children visiting unsuitable sites is education. If that doesn't work, once they've filled the PC with adware, spyware, malware and viruses you will have a whole new world to contend with.

There are lots of sites that have information on PC security - might be worth a read. Good Luck ;¬)
Tue 25/01/05 at 00:07
Regular
"NULL"
If he really wants to see a/some given site(s), there's little (read nothing) you can do to stop him. If he's determined enough, he will find a way around it, and even if you do stop him, it'll only make him more determined to find more sites...
Mon 24/01/05 at 23:57
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You can probably block access to certain IP addresses, a slow and fairly insignificant measure though.
Mon 24/01/05 at 22:09
Regular
"Not a Jew"
A swift kick in the ass will sort out discipline problems, not blocking internet sites.
Mon 24/01/05 at 21:35
Regular
Hi again,
Ok My E Tec Broadband Router with built in firewall, is it clever enough for me to block certain sites from being accessed? I have two children at home and the eldest is being nosey and looking for things he should not be! and I wondered if it is possible to block certain sites via the router?

If not what would be a solution if any available? still using windows 98 SE

Kev

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.