GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This stupid 2 FOGs thing"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/05/01 at 20:58
Regular
Note: There is a copy of this one the other FOG as well. Please read the whole of this.

I think this whole 2 FOGs thing is a disatser. It was great before, and I don;t think too many people complained. Sure you got the odd newbie who post some crap topics but they stop after a while and everything's great.

We have regulars because you know that they are usually there at some point and you can chat with them Now there are 2 FOGs you don't know which one they're concentrating on and so I'll end up posting in both. I used to have to have 2 windows open and I could cope very nicely with the one forum, and I would methodically go down each the topics, reading them all and adopting a few to chat on. No I'll have to have 4 windows open to keep up, and I will not be a happy chappy. The response time on posts will half and I might stop coming, because the great response time is what I used to come here for.

I know you've got a webby there with you, so can you please get rid of the chatter forum and rename it something useful, like SR Posse stories. Then, whenever a SR Posse story come in, we can all know, and go and look. You could also somehow work it out so that people in the FOg forum would be alerted of a new SR Posse story.

There, I've said it.
Thu 17/05/01 at 20:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Note: There is a copy of this one the other FOG as well. Please read the whole of this.

I think this whole 2 FOGs thing is a disatser. It was great before, and I don;t think too many people complained. Sure you got the odd newbie who post some crap topics but they stop after a while and everything's great.

We have regulars because you know that they are usually there at some point and you can chat with them Now there are 2 FOGs you don't know which one they're concentrating on and so I'll end up posting in both. I used to have to have 2 windows open and I could cope very nicely with the one forum, and I would methodically go down each the topics, reading them all and adopting a few to chat on. No I'll have to have 4 windows open to keep up, and I will not be a happy chappy. The response time on posts will half and I might stop coming, because the great response time is what I used to come here for.

I know you've got a webby there with you, so can you please get rid of the chatter forum and rename it something useful, like SR Posse stories. Then, whenever a SR Posse story come in, we can all know, and go and look. You could also somehow work it out so that people in the FOg forum would be alerted of a new SR Posse story.

There, I've said it.
Thu 17/05/01 at 21:03
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Note: There is not a copy of this message in the other FOG forum. It is a post, EXCLUSIVE to the FOG chatter forum, in order to raise popularity. I doubt it will work.

I don't think things are likely to stay exactly like this for long, it's a temporary measure. Wait for the next few days, and see what happens. If this works, it will probably stay, if not, then Tony will have been busy thinking up an alternative scheme.

The suggestion to have admittance to FOG by a weekly voting of the notables seems to be the best idea so far. It would certainly add a lot of excitement, and I can't see any glaring errors in it.
Thu 17/05/01 at 21:14
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
My main concern is the rate of growth on the Forums. There are roughly double the number of posts now to what there were 6 weeks ago.

If this were to carry on the single FOG forum would be swamped.

If we make changes that are wrong we can easily undo them.
Thu 17/05/01 at 21:52
Regular
"You've upset me"
Well I still think that having two FOGs is not a good idea. But hey, what do I know? I'm just an emotianlly unstable twelve year old who no one ever listens to. Why should you care what I think?

*Snivelling*
Thu 17/05/01 at 21:52
Regular
"You've upset me"
:-))
Thu 17/05/01 at 21:55
Regular
"Randomly Appearing"
tony if were going to have 2 FOGs can you at least put a link from one to the other so we can switch between them easily
Thu 17/05/01 at 21:56
Regular
I still think the best way would be to entice people into the other forums.

Before, when there weren't perhaps that many posters, it was a good idea to have one central "chatting place".

Now however, i agree with Tony, there are just far too many new topics each day.

I've got a suggestion on how to get people to the other threads:

How about, you make it so that GAD can only be won from the DC forum or PS2 forum or something. This would encourage quality posts in other forums, resulting to replies/discussions beginning in other forums.

Just a suggestion.
Thu 17/05/01 at 21:57
Regular
When i said GAD can olny be won from a certain forum, i meant every once in a while, not all the time.

It could be that GAD will only be chosen from DC forum next thursday, PS2 on friday, all forums on saturday and sunday, Cube forum on monday etc etc
Thu 17/05/01 at 21:59
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
DanDaGr8 wrote:
> tony if were going to have 2 FOGs can you at least put a link from one to the other so we can switch between them easily

Impossible (no page can be any different to any other page) the link would take you back to the same forum from one of the forums.
Thu 17/05/01 at 22:00
Regular
"You've upset me"
Wouldn't work. everyone would then KNOW what to post to win instead of having the mystery that usually surrounds it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.