GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Similar to spirited away?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/01/05 at 20:53
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
I recently watched the anime spirited away and surprisingly enjoyed it. I really didn't expect to. It was charming, lightweight fun and the animation was beautiful. Anyway what others anime's are similar to this great one?
Fri 21/01/05 at 17:33
Regular
Cheers! :)
Fri 21/01/05 at 17:33
Regular
Laputa, though the original dub, I do not like the Disney dub at all.
Fri 21/01/05 at 16:50
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
Thanks for all the help so far :)
Fri 21/01/05 at 14:46
Regular
"tall skinny latte"
I have My Neighbor Totoro on DVD and it's Region 2. The DVD is a composite of three films though. I would say this film is just as good as Spirited Away and I actually prefer it.
I also have Castle in the Sky, but it's not that similar to Spirited Away.
Fri 21/01/05 at 09:38
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
If you're looking for similar anime films to Spirited Away then try checking out the rest of Studio Ghibli's work, particularly the films directed by the great Hayao Miyazaki.

Going in year of made order for Miyazaki directed Ghibli films, we have; Nausicaa, Laputa: Castle in the Sky (or just named Castle in the Sky), My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke.
Of that lot, Laputa, Kiki and Mononoke are available on dvd in the UK, the others are either out in the US or are coming soon.
They really are wonderful films, that everyone should see.

Their latest film, Howl's Moving Castle will be released in the US (and hopefully UK) at some point this year. It has so far been top of the Japanese box office for the last 9, yes, 9 weeks and got a 5-minute standing ovation at the Vencie film festival.
Fri 21/01/05 at 09:36
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
darkcrystal wrote:
> My Neighbor Totoro is similar. It's directed by Hayao Miyazaki
> too.

If you weant some Miyazaki films that are available in this country try Castle in the sky, Kikis delivery service and Princess Mononoke.
Fri 21/01/05 at 00:52
Regular
"tall skinny latte"
My Neighbor Totoro is similar. It's directed by Hayao Miyazaki too.
Fri 21/01/05 at 00:16
I watched it too, I enjoyed it for the bizareness more than anything else. Adults turning into pigs, a kid into a dragon and a ball of sludge wanting a bath? Greaaat. I also found it strange that the animators chose to be lazy by resuing certain animations (father walking through the tunnel, for instance), yet still find the time on the guy's zip.
Fri 21/01/05 at 00:06
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
The thing is Green that most anime films are VERY Japanese. Obviously that's where they originate so quite rightly but sometimes they are too Japanese for the Western World. THey just wouldn't pull a big enough audience at the box office because half the time we'd just be going "Eh?". That's why it has to be something really great like Spirited Away for it even to be released in the UK. To find a film like Spirited Away would be immensley hard as apart from anything else finding someone who'll sell it with subtitles (which is probably the best you'd get for a feature anime film like that) is near impossible. Us westerners like anime with American characters set in Japan with big fook off robots and lots of explosions. At least that's more or less what you'll find if you go into HMV and look in the anime section.
Thu 20/01/05 at 23:37
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
I think:

Not many.

Sorry to say that. :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.