GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The French"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/01/05 at 21:14
Regular
"wow"
I like the French. There is much about their culture that i admire. They live in a beautiful nation, with many beautiful people. They speak a beautiful language, and have a beautiful english accent. Some people say they are arrogant, but they are no different from the english in that they have self respect, the only difference from other nations is that they can't laugh at themselves so easily.

In any case they are a fantastic nation, but one thing does bother me about them, and that is their national pride at their military history. What exactly do they have to be proud of! If you look back over time they have blundered more often than they have smelled success. Though if you read a french text book they are taught that they won the battle of waterloo???? Can they be serious?? Lets just take a brief look at all recoreded French history.

Back in Roman days they were the Gauls, a proud nation who fought naked... and were easily beaten by the Romans in a great number of battles where they lost thousands of troops. When they mostly formed the Roman defensive forces hundreds of years later they were overrun by Germans (The Franks). These Franks who were a germanic tribe did enjoy success; but the Germans often do on the field of battle. Then there was the only real victory in the history of France, the normans invaded england and wales. Unfortunatley for France it all goes down hill after that.

In the hundred years war they lost most of their country to a tiny English force miles from home and suffering from terrible moral. What saved them? A teenage girl who had intense periods who was latter captuerd and killed. Most of the few battles in this war were won by the English, those that were lost were against overwhelming force. Still by the end of the war the French only forced the english back, didn't completely defeat them.

They didn't have much fun in the colonial times either, suffering many defeats (most at the hands of the British). When they do get an empire it is inferior, thats right inferior to the British Empire with one third of the world under its control.

Then Napolean comes on the scene. The French are very proud of this man, one even said "He's the greatest frenchman who ever lived". This man needs to realise that Napolean was Italian, and a nationalist at that. He blamed his many defeats (to the russians, Prussians, British, Austrians and others) on the fact that France was not a good enough host nation for him to be Emperor of. I agree. There was the huge defeat at Trafalgar and of course at waterloo where the British and Prussians sent the french away with their tail between their legs. How they think they won that battle is beyond me.

Then there is WW1 where Britain had to hold the line with France. The Somme was caused because the French wanted the British to relieve some pressure on their lines, look what happened there. Then when the French were given command of all allied forces for a huge attack with a million men they thought they would take berlin in a week. instead 80000 French died in a morning, the Canadians under their command though did achieve their objective. In WW2 they were beaten no doubt about it. Whats worse though is that they joined with the nazis. Some of the french navy sailed from asia to attack the British. Of course the British engaged them and defeated them easily. Then when they were LIBERATED by the allies they claimed they were never beaten due to the resistance and also got a chunk of Berlin at the wars end. Then what did they do? They went out to Indo-China and got masacred. i don't think they have won a war since colonial times and that was probably against natives with sharpened melons. I admit they have won some battles, but why the fierce pride?

Not only do they think they have the most glorious military history in the world, but a french guy said to me that "France is the second strongest military nation on the planet!", to which i said "How much al-ke-hol have you had mate?". This opinion is not just plain wrong, but insulting to the rest of the world. The French have the most notoriously cowardly soldiers on the planet. Have they forgotten about Russia, or China, or North Korea, and lets not forget the best army in the world (so long these reforms don't go ahead) The British Army! They have more nukes than any other european nation, perhaps thats what they are refering to? Then again they must still have forgotten about the rest of the world, especially Russia and China. How can the french think they are superior to three million soldiers, one million aircraft and God knows how many nukes the Chinese have. God knows how many nukes the Russians have. North Korea has about three million men in its army, and about fifteen nukes, or so teh CIA think.

I find this idea the French have that they are proud warriors with a great army and a wonderful history unforgivable.
Wed 19/01/05 at 21:39
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Cycloon wrote:
> Paradox: wrote:
> All the formerly hardcore nations became sisses.
>
> Look at Italy.
>
> When was Italy hardcore?
>
> ?

Roman Empire?
Not strictly Italy, but meh.
Wed 19/01/05 at 20:05
Regular
Xenophon wrote:
> maybe next time you can know little what your talking about before
> you start throwing insults around

Pray tell - when did I "throw insults around"?
Wed 19/01/05 at 19:54
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Scope wrote:

> Yea but what about Thierry Henry, Vieira on form, Pires on form and
> Clichy?
> Pascal Cygan can b*gger off!

Bwahahahahahahaha. You think they're French? Hilarious. Senegalise, Somalian, Portuguese etc. They have a minimal or non-existant amount of French in them. Therefore they are excluded from my hatred.
Wed 19/01/05 at 19:20
Regular
"wow"
Paradox: wrote:
> When they kicked our asses at the Battle of Hastings in 1066.

Their only great victory that won them a war
Wed 19/01/05 at 19:05
Regular
"wow"
Forza wrote:
> Xenophon wrote:
> Most of the few battles in this war were won by the English
>
> Still by the end of the war the French only forced the english
> back
>
> suffering many defeats (most at the hands of the British).
>
> There was the huge defeat...of course at waterloo where the
> British...
>
> Of course the British engaged them and defeated them easily.
>
> lets not forget the best army in the world The British Army!

just so happens that france fought most battles against britain. I can asure you that i'm not british, though i, just like cnn did today, realise they are the best army in the world
Wed 19/01/05 at 18:59
Regular
"wow"
Forza wrote:
> And you also claim that;
>
> "Not only do they think they have the most glorious military
> history in the world, but a french guy said to me that "France
> is the second strongest military nation on the planet!""
>
> Your entire argument seems to be formed because of some mass opinion
> that you seem to think the French have, and because of one single
> person's opinion (which, incidentally, I believe to be some crap you
> simply made up).

i have lived in France for many months and simply used this man's opinion (which was agreed on by many people considering what they are taught ie. victory at waterloo is taught in school over there) to demonstrate more clearly that of other french who i met.

You are nothing but wrong in everything else you say.
Honestly i think that you are a sad bitter childish loner who is in a bad mood. What do you call "which, incidentally, I believe to be some crap you simply made up)", so because you think it then it must make it true is that right kid?

maybe next time you can know little what your talking about before you start throwing insults around
Wed 19/01/05 at 18:54
Regular
HAWHEEHAW
Wed 19/01/05 at 18:53
Regular
Why was he talking with such a despicable rat as a French person, anyway?
UNLESS IT WAS TO SHINE YO’ SHOES, RIGHT GAYBY?
Wed 19/01/05 at 18:50
Regular
And you also claim that;

"Not only do they think they have the most glorious military history in the world, but a french guy said to me that "France is the second strongest military nation on the planet!""

Your entire argument seems to be formed because of some mass opinion that you seem to think the French have, and because of one single person's opinion (which, incidentally, I believe to be some crap you simply made up).
Wed 19/01/05 at 18:49
Regular
Xenophon wrote:
> how do you figure? because i have vastly superior historical
> knowledge than you?

My dead grandmother has a better "historical" knowledge than you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.