GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Johnny Cash"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/01/05 at 17:57
Regular
Haven't listened to much of him, but what I've heard I love and I'm interested in more. Where's a good place to start?
Thu 20/01/05 at 13:42
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Awww now I feel sad I lost a reader.

You haven't lost a reader, I still read your stuff.

> You wrote " I find it hard to believe they wouldn't play his
> stuff because he wouldn't 'fall in line', as it were"
> But that was directly after "I didn't know that the music scene
> was so against him, but now I do know."
> Pick a point and stick to it.

Am I not allowed to make more than one point then? After all, as I worded it, the two I made are not mutually exclusive.

You were the very who explained to me that the music scene was against him. I didn't know this originally, but then you told me. Now I know they were against him, and I find it hard to believe that. But, as I said, I suspect similar things happen today, although to a lesser extent.

I don't understand why you keep bringing up the whole joke thing, as it has nothing to do with Cash, or this topic.

> I'll try to get over your sadness, perhaps if you throw another
> tsunami joke we can all laugh and hug?

Believe me, I have a few more if you want to hear them? I only mention this as you keep bringing this topic up, as if you're in need of some more jokes about it.

> And if you can explain, far from being snidey, how you're not
> an ass that posts tsunami jokes and knows nothing about this subject
> (by your own admittance)?

I post tsunami jokes. I'm not, however, an ass. If I were, I'd be very surprised if I could use the internet. Hooves aren't really the right shape for typing with. Sure, you think I'm an 'ass', and fair enough, but believe me the feeling is beginning to become mutual.

> Your Honour wrote:"Wow, that's like, so cool man" in
> reference to the original pic posted.

So you've never made a sarcastic comment then? In that case I shall bow down and apologise.

>Sure, but it's Goatboy being
> snidey?

You're the one make petty little insults in your posts, not me.

> Besides, you can't tell me what to say maaaaan, that's oppression and
> nobody has the right to tell me what I can and can't say.

Oh look, here's a sarcastic comment, looks like I can stop bowing now...

Anyway I never said what you can and can't say, I said that I personally, in my own humble opinion, would have preffered it if you had explained more background, as you did, and left the little comments out of it.
Thu 20/01/05 at 13:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Awww now I feel sad I lost a reader.

You wrote " I find it hard to believe they wouldn't play his stuff because he wouldn't 'fall in line', as it were"
But that was directly after "I didn't know that the music scene was so against him, but now I do know."
Pick a point and stick to it.
I'll try to get over your sadness, perhaps if you throw another tsunami joke we can all laugh and hug?

And if you can explain, far from being snidey, how you're not an ass that posts tsunami jokes and knows nothing about this subject (by your own admittance)?
Your Honour wrote:"Wow, that's like, so cool man" in reference to the original pic posted. Sure, but it's Goatboy being snidey?
Besides, you can't tell me what to say maaaaan, that's oppression and nobody has the right to tell me what I can and can't say.
Thu 20/01/05 at 12:59
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Your Honour wrote:
> I don't think it's cool. I think it's a piece of marketing genius.
> ---

Quick question: Where is there any 'sneer' in those two sentences?

I have no knowledge of Cash, the only track of his that I've heard was Hurt which I listened to after you recommended it on here. I didn't know that the music scene was so against him, but now I do know.

I find it hard to believe they wouldn't play his stuff because he wouldn't 'fall in line', as it were. Although I suspect that similar things happen in todays society, either music or films, although perhaps to a slightly lesser extent.

As for my 'marketing genius' comment, although based on no knowledge of the bloke whatsoever, there must be a chance that whatever the motive of the advert, it would certainly have got people talking about him and possibly raised his profile somewhat? Just a thought, and once which could be completely wrong, but I know that if I saw that advert in a paper today, it would certainly make me talk about the bloke. But maybe that makes me shallow, who knows.

> You're an ass that posts tsunami jokes and sneers at something you
> have zero knowledge about.
> End of story.

It's a shame you finished an interesting and informative post with such a petty insult which had absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

I used to enjoy reading all your stuff, but now I do so with a bit of terpidation as I have no idea who you're going to insult next. Whether it be the "#@&*ing retards" and "tossfaces" in the Conspiracy Theory topic, or me in here.

Yeah, I know nothing about Cash, and I admit that, but you could have just explained more of the facts, as you did and that was fine, and left it at that, instead of ending with a snide little comment.

I just find it sad, is all.
Thu 20/01/05 at 10:27
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Your Honour wrote:
> I don't think it's cool. I think it's a piece of marketing genius.
---

That's because you don't listen to Cash or appreciate the struggles he had getting recognised.
The Nashville music establishment, until a few years ago, basically controlled the country music scene with things like The Grand Ole Oprey.
If you didn't have their approval then you didn't stand a chance of having a decent career.
And they loathed Cash, because he didn't use their house backing bands, because he refused to appear on The Grand Ole Oprey and do the songs they told him to, because he played in prisons to people that liked him against their advice.
Cash refused to play along and instead carved his own path, making music the way he wanted to, playing where he wanted to.
And it cost him a lucrative career at a time when people like Conray Twitty were selling by the thousands.
He made political statements in his records when the industry wanted "I lawst ma dawg" type of tunes, played in Vietnam to support the troops even though he spoke against the war, in his own words in Man in Black:
"Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.
I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times."

So when Cash finally started to garner critical acclaim and started to sell records, suddenly Nashville liked him and wanted to adopt him.
Hence that advertisement.
Marketing Genius?
Yeah, because Johnny Cash enjoyed huge sales before his death didn't he? Everybody listened to him didn't they?
He started making records in the 50s and it wasn't until the 1990's that he started to get radioplay and acceptance, even had his video on eMpTyV for Hurt.
That's 40 years of being ignored, not being promoted by record companies, not being allowed on package tours that increased his profile. 40 years of being sidelined for daring to try and be honest about how he saw life instead of bashing out country-by-numbers crap that felt wrong to him.
Marketing Genius?
Nope, it was an honest and sincere Up Yours to an industry that had smothered him for nigh-on 40years before suddenly wanting to put the spotlight on him.
Same as the assheads that suddenly like him because he's dead.

You're an ass that posts tsunami jokes and sneers at something you have zero knowledge about.
End of story.
Thu 20/01/05 at 10:13
Regular
You should work in advertising.
Thu 20/01/05 at 09:07
Regular
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> It is if you've paid for a full page ad just to give someone the
> finger.

I don't think it's cool. I think it's a piece of marketing genius.
Wed 19/01/05 at 17:46
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Only know 3 things Cash has done. Cover of Bridge Over Troubled Water, which was dull. Vocals on Girl From The North Country, which is pretty cool. Cover of Hurt, which is one of the best songs I have ever heard, perhaps the best.
Wed 19/01/05 at 16:27
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I liked that tune of his at the beggining of the Dawn fo the Dead
> remake.
>
> Can't say I've heard any of his other stuff as far as I know.

The Man Comes Around?
Wed 19/01/05 at 16:14
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Pandaemonium wrote:

> I bet pixar have that image under the "f*** you" reference.

hehe, i appreciated that :)
Wed 19/01/05 at 16:13
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I've only heard bits and bobs of his material, and some of the more rock-oriented stuff....well, rocked.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.