GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Too Many Processes?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/01/05 at 11:06
Regular
"Bicycle"
Umm... Having just installed a new HDD, my PC is starting up rather slowly. I figure it's got something to do with the startup programs, so, with no programs open other than those opened on startup I have 30 processes running.

There's the usual stuff, but then there's five different instances of "svchost.exe", taking up from 2,928K to 16,284K. The rest looks pretty normal...

Also - I think there's a trojan, crss.exe, but have no idea how to uninstall it, it's undected by AdAware...
Sun 16/01/05 at 11:06
Regular
"Bicycle"
Umm... Having just installed a new HDD, my PC is starting up rather slowly. I figure it's got something to do with the startup programs, so, with no programs open other than those opened on startup I have 30 processes running.

There's the usual stuff, but then there's five different instances of "svchost.exe", taking up from 2,928K to 16,284K. The rest looks pretty normal...

Also - I think there's a trojan, crss.exe, but have no idea how to uninstall it, it's undected by AdAware...
Sun 16/01/05 at 11:25
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Coin wrote:
> Umm... Having just installed a new HDD, my PC is starting up rather
> slowly. I figure it's got something to do with the startup programs,
> so, with no programs open other than those opened on startup I have
> 30 processes running.
>
> There's the usual stuff, but then there's five different instances of
> "svchost.exe", taking up from 2,928K to 16,284K. The rest
> looks pretty normal...
>
> Also - I think there's a trojan, crss.exe, but have no idea how to
> uninstall it, it's undected by AdAware...

As long as your copy of windows is legit, try this out:

[URL]http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx[/URL]

Works very well and gives you control over processes too. From what I've done with it so far, I'ts actually better than Adaware and Spybot combined!
Sun 16/01/05 at 11:40
Regular
"Bicycle"
Cheers mate :D.
Sun 16/01/05 at 12:54
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Verify your task list programs here:
[URL]http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm[/URL]
Sun 16/01/05 at 12:57
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
> There's the usual stuff, but then there's five different instances of
> "svchost.exe", taking up from 2,928K to 16,284K. The rest
> looks pretty normal...

An integral part of the operating system, leave alone – multiple instances of SVCHOST is a normal occurrence.

>
> Also - I think there's a trojan, crss.exe, but have no idea how to
> uninstall it, it's undected by AdAware...

CSRSS is the Client Server Runtime SubSystem. CSRSS is started by SMSS. When the user application makes a Win32 API call, it is usually CSRSS which communicates with the operating system’s Kernel to execute the API call. CSRSS is also known as the Win32 Subsystem.

Recommendation :
An integral part of the operating system, leave alone.
Sun 16/01/05 at 13:24
Regular
This is also very useful;
[URL]http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/[/URL]

I also find that simply punching the process name into Google clears things up.
Sun 16/01/05 at 13:30
Regular
"Bicycle"
Forza wrote:
> This is also very useful;
> [URL]http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/[/URL]
>
> I also find that simply punching the process name into Google clears
> things up.

That's what I usually use, only... It reported crss.exe as a trojan, whilst the Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta reported it being, as Tellah said, an integral part of the OS.

Oh well. Thanks guys! (Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta found 2 other worms... Someone must dislike me :D.)

Just as a sidenote - how do I "get" viruses? I mean, in generall I am a cautious downloader, only the occasional game or video... But I do use a er... "Program whose name refers to a fruit and a wire" to er... "Share" music.

Yes. Would that be the only security hole? I mean, I have a firewall set-up on my router which has been excellent for the past few months, and well, since then I've had no problems.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.