GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What a God send..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Max Payne 2'.
Fri 03/12/04 at 10:32
Regular
Max Payne 2 is...

It seems that these days I play fewer and fewer games with Half-Life 2 taking up the majority of my time when I can be bothered. With Far Cry, Hidden and Dangerous 2 and Rome: Total War sat barely played I was starting to think I was losing interest. Rather than moping around I decided to crack open Max Payne 2 again and before long I was back enjoying a game, really enjoying it.

When it was released I played it to death, must have finished it half a dozen times across the different difficulties yet as with the first, I'm still not bored of playing it.

The story, characters, level design and gunplay are pretty much unsurpassed in any game I have ever played. Everything feels stylish only without the cheesy Hollywood gloss, which has spoilt so many games before it. The story is completely over the top and 'cliched' yet at the same time so bloody well done and fun to follow.

I can't really explain what it is that keeps drawing me back to play it but as a series on the whole it is so bloody addictive.

On that note, anyone got any decent mod sites for Max Payne 2? I tried the Matrix style bullet time mod where you can see the ripple around the bullet as it goes through the air but I was looking for some maps for the time trial shooting sections or something similar.

Oh and to finish on a good note, Max Payne 3 is set to be confirmed within the next week or so despite being a working title at the moment there is talk that Remedy won't be developing it. More on that this week by all accounts, I hope Take Two don't f**k it up!
Fri 03/12/04 at 10:32
Regular
Max Payne 2 is...

It seems that these days I play fewer and fewer games with Half-Life 2 taking up the majority of my time when I can be bothered. With Far Cry, Hidden and Dangerous 2 and Rome: Total War sat barely played I was starting to think I was losing interest. Rather than moping around I decided to crack open Max Payne 2 again and before long I was back enjoying a game, really enjoying it.

When it was released I played it to death, must have finished it half a dozen times across the different difficulties yet as with the first, I'm still not bored of playing it.

The story, characters, level design and gunplay are pretty much unsurpassed in any game I have ever played. Everything feels stylish only without the cheesy Hollywood gloss, which has spoilt so many games before it. The story is completely over the top and 'cliched' yet at the same time so bloody well done and fun to follow.

I can't really explain what it is that keeps drawing me back to play it but as a series on the whole it is so bloody addictive.

On that note, anyone got any decent mod sites for Max Payne 2? I tried the Matrix style bullet time mod where you can see the ripple around the bullet as it goes through the air but I was looking for some maps for the time trial shooting sections or something similar.

Oh and to finish on a good note, Max Payne 3 is set to be confirmed within the next week or so despite being a working title at the moment there is talk that Remedy won't be developing it. More on that this week by all accounts, I hope Take Two don't f**k it up!
Fri 03/12/04 at 12:52
Regular
"the burning sky"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I can't really explain what it is that keeps drawing me back to play
> it but as a series on the whole it is so bloody addictive.

Just how Max feels about his Painkillers :P Anyway, I havent heard of any Mods for MaxPayne2. I've downloaded a few for MaxPayne(1) and they were pretty good.
Fri 03/12/04 at 14:03
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Excellent game, great story, cool action and with the ever present and welcome ragdoll deaths. A pity to hear Remedy aren't on board for Max Payne 3, my only hope is that whoever develops that one doesn't screw it up.
Fri 03/12/04 at 14:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Thanks for the reminder, I'm off to reinstall that and give it some more overly-noir shooty.
Fri 03/12/04 at 15:22
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
This is indeed an awesome game, one of the very few PC games that really kept me totally engaged while it lasted - short and very sweet. In contrast - I still can't be bothered to get past the alpha labs in Doom 3.
Fri 03/12/04 at 15:25
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Tomoose wrote:
> I havent heard of any Mods for MaxPayne2. I've downloaded a few for MaxPayne(1) and they were pretty good.

Theres a kungfu mod floating around and an extra level or two... Im sure google could throw something up - I have them on a PC gamer coverdisc, never actually installed them though.
Fri 03/12/04 at 15:47
Regular
tigamilla wrote:
> I still can't be bothered to get past the alpha labs in Doom 3.

Heh!

I got the special edition version from Hong Kong when I got my graphics card, played the opening 20-30 minutes and was bored sh*tless. It just goes to show that the 'old skool' FPS games are just dull to play. Awesome technical achievement with a cracking atmosphere but gameplay wise it seriously sucks ass.

By the way, you may want to grab the Maxpyne 1.1 patch to stop the critical error when loading the 4th chapter.
Fri 03/12/04 at 20:24
Regular
"the burning sky"
tigamilla wrote:
> Tomoose wrote:
> I havent heard of any Mods for MaxPayne2. I've downloaded a few for
> MaxPayne(1) and they were pretty good.
>
> Theres a kungfu mod floating around and an extra level or two... Im
> sure google could throw something up - I have them on a PC gamer
> coverdisc, never actually installed them though.

Oh I remember having some from PCZone, but it had to be that disc i accidently threw away...
Sat 04/12/04 at 16:17
Regular
I found Doom 3 to be top-notch from start to finish.

Appreciated my surround sound and 9600pro.

I love my audigy 2.

*Brag*
Sat 04/12/04 at 18:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Tomoose wrote:
> Oh I remember having some from PCZone, but it had to be that disc i
> accidently threw away...

PCGamer did an small article on some MP2 mods, I remember one of them being a turn based style game. I've found a couple of mods that add more weapons and a few other tweaks, nothing on par with the Matrix lobby shootout level you could download for the orginal Max Payne though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.