GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband question"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/12/04 at 13:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok, looking at various broadband offers and seem to think that 700k is a decent speed.
Is that gonna let me play online with minimal lag? I'm not interested in the techie stuff, just want to know if that speed is going to let me play without horrid lagging/stuttering etc.
Cheers
Sat 04/12/04 at 11:04
Regular
"Captain to you."
i didn't say anywhere in my post that faster connection = faster ping the 'faster the better' comment is right after i mention downloading i thought people would understand that they where linked comments
Fri 03/12/04 at 23:12
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
chippxero wrote:
> yeah 700k is pretty good you should get around 70 ping or lower on
> counterstrike source (don't know if you play it). You'll get a
> reasonable download speed too. faster is better though i have 1.5mb
> line

A faster connection doesnt mean a lower ping. A 128K NTL connection would ping just as fast as a 1.5Mb connection. With a 1.5Mb connection it would allow you to download alot faster. Higher speed does help if you are sharing the connection and while playing a game the other person was downloading or just surfing.
Fri 03/12/04 at 14:10
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
But don't get NTL yet - I think they're upping the speeds in January to 2MB for the 700k price, I think.

Yes.

[URL]http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/03/ntl_q3_04/[/URL]
Fri 03/12/04 at 14:10
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Goatboy wrote:
> Would I be able to put my Xbox on it as well? Or is that another
> ££ layout?

It just uses any broadband connection via your cable modem. 512k is perfect for that.
Fri 03/12/04 at 14:08
Regular
"Captain to you."
When i am home from uni i have ntl 750k line i think as they up'd my speed a while ago. It's good enough that i have never had problems while playing online. Vietcong i found sniping do-able on my 750k line but i only join servers that report a ping of under 90.
Fri 03/12/04 at 14:04
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Cheers lads, the NTL 700k is the one I'm looking at as well.
Don't want to pay more than £25 and not an avid online gamer enough to want a 1mb+.

I'll have that I reckons.

***EDIT****
Would I be able to put my Xbox on it as well? Or is that another ££ layout?
Fri 03/12/04 at 14:01
Regular
"Captain to you."
yeah 700k is pretty good you should get around 70 ping or lower on counterstrike source (don't know if you play it). You'll get a reasonable download speed too. faster is better though i have 1.5mb line
Fri 03/12/04 at 14:00
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I play Halo and Vietcong on the 700k NTL connection, and a pretty decent PC, and it's normally fine - depends a lot on other player's pings though. Oh, and forget sniping, still not quick enough to do that properly.
Fri 03/12/04 at 13:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok, looking at various broadband offers and seem to think that 700k is a decent speed.
Is that gonna let me play online with minimal lag? I'm not interested in the techie stuff, just want to know if that speed is going to let me play without horrid lagging/stuttering etc.
Cheers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.