GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Java?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/01/05 at 12:10
Regular
Hi guys my son at High school is currently learning all about VB Script and really enjoying it, he is using front page 2000 and word to build programs etc

He is wanting to do Java as well and wondered about java writing programs? is that the right term? what does he need to write Java? any advice for him much appreciated.

Kev
Sat 15/01/05 at 12:10
Regular
Hi guys my son at High school is currently learning all about VB Script and really enjoying it, he is using front page 2000 and word to build programs etc

He is wanting to do Java as well and wondered about java writing programs? is that the right term? what does he need to write Java? any advice for him much appreciated.

Kev
Sat 15/01/05 at 12:32
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
You'll need an editor to write your programs, word and frontpage aren't great for writing programs.
Some people use notepad. For geting started you could try RealJ [URL]http://www.sharewareorder.com/RealJ-3-6-FreeJava-download-3292.htm[/URL]

To compile and run the java programs you'll need the JAVA SDK.
Go to www.java.sun.com and follow these instructions

1. Go to the Java web site.
2. Locate Java products and find the Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition.
3. Go to the download page for the most current SDK version that's available for your platform.
4. After clicking on the download button, follow the instructions. Note the name of the file and the download size.
5. Select one of the FTP download options, unless you're behind a firewall and you need to use the HTTP option.
6. Save the setup file to your hard disk. On a 56K modem, it takes about 2 hours to down-load this file.
7. Once the entire package has downloaded, check to make sure that you got the executable and that the size is correct. Otherwise, you will get an error when you try to run the executable.
8. Run the exe file, and respond to the resulting dialog boxes. When you're prompted for the SDK directory, use the default directory and install all of the components unless disk space is a problem.

You'll also need to configure the SDK with your system, should be information with the download that tell you how to go about doing this (Havn't done it for a while so can't remember.)

He'll then need to learn how to write, compile and run programs.
There are lots of good resources on the internet, try google searching for 'java for beginners' or something similar.
Sat 15/01/05 at 14:36
Regular
Many thanks I / we will look at these links and see if we he / we can master it, may wait untill wednesday to do the two hour download as we will have broadband then! and is it just me or is the net slow today on dial up? BT are very slow today!

Kev
Sat 15/01/05 at 15:04
Regular
"relocated"
A very good, and entirely free in electronic form, book on Java is Bruce Eckel's Thinking In Java: [URL]http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/[/URL]. It's fairly in depth, and it helps if you already have some programming knowledge, but in terms of really understanding the language you can't do much better. If you need help on anything Java related, no matter how small and stupid it may seem, then JavaRanch.com ([URL]http://www.javaranch.com[/URL]) is a great website: it has an excellent beginner's guide and the friendliest and most helpful forums I've ever seen for a language.

I use Textpad to write my Java programs with, which is just a text editor. I haven't tried RealJ but a good, free development environment that I have used is JCreator.
Sat 15/01/05 at 16:35
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Better yet is Borland's JBuilder.

It's free (personal edition) and makes programming in Java many times faster for those working with graphical user interfaces or large programs.

I've been programming heavily in Java for around 5 years, and I must say it's the best development environment I've found. If you want to do any serious projects, you'll want this.

If on the other hand, you're looking for something as easy to use as notepad but with more power, I highly recommend MED programmer's text editor. Besides displaying line numbers and colour-highlighted syntax, it also links up to the java compiler for instant compilation.

As for books, I recommend Sams Teach yourself Java in 21 days.

The java API (see sun's website) is also indespensinle. Sun'd website also has a hige number of java forums which give *very* quick and helpful responses
Sat 15/01/05 at 18:37
Regular
"relocated"
I actually think you're better off beginning Java using as simple an environment as possible, rather than hiding the workings of the language behind an IDE, and introducing unnecessary complexities too early. Only my opinion, of course, but compiling by hand is quite good for you at first - and I found understanding packages, GUI construction etc much easier efter going back to basics.
Sun 16/01/05 at 13:55
Regular
Gosh its a lot to take in, he is 14 and has a good understanding of programming already he makes his own programmes! when I was 14 computers filled a room! and we did not have them at school, he is keen and thinks a career in programming is for him, so I will let him look at all these options put forward via this forum cheers folks.
Sun 16/01/05 at 15:25
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I tend to agree about not using an IDE at first, it just over complicates matters. And its good to get an understanding of how java works at a basic level first. IDEs are good for helping speed up development, but they do slow down learning sometimes.

[URL]http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html[/URL] for Sun's tutorials on how to install & compile java programs.
Sun 16/01/05 at 17:55
Regular
What is it that makes people love Java on here?

We have to do a bit of Java programming in A2 Computing, but at home I prefer using languages such as C, C++ and PHP.

Is it because it's very Object Orientated based?

In my experience Java apps tend to be quite slow!
Sun 16/01/05 at 18:36
It's a great language for learning. It takes care of memory allocation, doesn't use pointers, has automatic garbage collection and only uses single inheritance. And the big winner of course is that it can run on any platform, as long as you have the interpreter.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.