GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just Because I'm Scottish"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/01/05 at 11:32
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
I've applied to a bunch of unis and came back after a nice holiday to New Zealand to a big pile of letters from unis, mostly just acknowledging my application. (To do Software Engineering and such)

However from Bristol Uni I got a fairly harshly worded letter explaining that as I would be under 18 when uni begins (not 18 til december but I look older so that's not really a problem) I wouldn't be offered a place unless under "exceptional circumstances". Also if i did get a place I wouldn't be offered university accomodation til my birthday. And until that I would also need my parents to sign forms so that I could go on flippin trips and that they were looking after me. It makes me feel like I'm twelve or something. So basically I would have to work really hard this year so that they could mess up most of my first year by blocking me out of social activities, like actually meeting random people.

(To those non-Scottish people, because of the weird Scottish school system it happens that quite a lot of people will finish school and go on to university before their 18th birthday.)

Just makes me slightly miffed. But frankly they weren't actually my first choice. But I just don't feel like I'm getting treated like a potential student at all.
Mon 17/01/05 at 13:01
*disPute* wrote:
I just find it so strange that they're not at
> all prepered for what i would see as a fair few Scottish students
> applying who would be under 18 at the beginning of term.

Bristol are just stiff upper lipped tw*ts though. I haven't met a single person who did'nt speak with an upper-middle class, not too posh, not too "normal" accent; even my bro was converted a bit.
Mon 17/01/05 at 09:36
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
lcarus wrote:
>
> I don't think it's *just* the age factor though. If you take the
> entire course in Scotland, from a kid to uni graduation, (I think) it
> still works out the same no. of years as if you had gone through a
> course in the rest of the UK. You start a year early, but apparently
> you need to work an extra year to get the honours thing in your
> degree, while that happens in third year for the rest.
> hat you don't get here.

Interesting, hadn't thought of that at all. God I could be even younger leaving uni. I just find it so strange that they're not at all prepered for what i would see as a fair few Scottish students applying who would be under 18 at the beginning of term.
Sun 16/01/05 at 19:42
*disPute* wrote:
>
> However from Bristol Uni I got a fairly harshly worded letter
> explaining that as I would be under 18 when uni begins (not 18 til
> december but I look older so that's not really a problem) I wouldn't
> be offered a place unless under "exceptional
> circumstances".

I don't think it's *just* the age factor though. If you take the entire course in Scotland, from a kid to uni graduation, (I think) it still works out the same no. of years as if you had gone through a course in the rest of the UK. You start a year early, but apparently you need to work an extra year to get the honours thing in your degree, while that happens in third year for the rest.

Essentially it means when you're applying, you want to skip a year; or, if from Wales/England to Scotland, staying an extra year without the Masters.

And then you have the multiple topics thing that you don't get here.
Sun 16/01/05 at 19:31
They probably give lower priority to those who defer.

Cub!st wrote:
I doubt I
> will as I plan to move out in 2-3 months and in with my boyfriend so
> I'll be working and I definitely want to make the most out of my job
> at HSBC.

Gah, it's alright for you, you have a man to fall back on*. Will he be doing the dishes while you're working at your day job?

*Campest thing I've ever said
Sun 16/01/05 at 19:11
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
I applied for uni this year but deferred everything and haven't got anything back from any unis just the card from UCAS saying they got my application. Personally I don't care if I go or not. I doubt I will as I plan to move out in 2-3 months and in with my boyfriend so I'll be working and I definitely want to make the most out of my job at HSBC. If I can climb up the ladder throughout the year even just a wee bit then I'll be happy.
Sun 16/01/05 at 18:57
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I was the same.
Sun 16/01/05 at 12:19
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I went to Uni when I was only 17 and a half... I could have actually went a year before but I stayed on to sixth year even though I got my five highers.
Sat 15/01/05 at 12:14
Regular
Screw them all and take a gap year!

On another note, I've got a friend here who started Uni at 17 (the hall bar staff were provided with a picture of him so he wouldn't get served! :-D) but he was just some Essex wizzkid.

Perhaps if he'd been Scottist then it might'vr been a different story! ;-D
Sat 15/01/05 at 11:32
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
I've applied to a bunch of unis and came back after a nice holiday to New Zealand to a big pile of letters from unis, mostly just acknowledging my application. (To do Software Engineering and such)

However from Bristol Uni I got a fairly harshly worded letter explaining that as I would be under 18 when uni begins (not 18 til december but I look older so that's not really a problem) I wouldn't be offered a place unless under "exceptional circumstances". Also if i did get a place I wouldn't be offered university accomodation til my birthday. And until that I would also need my parents to sign forms so that I could go on flippin trips and that they were looking after me. It makes me feel like I'm twelve or something. So basically I would have to work really hard this year so that they could mess up most of my first year by blocking me out of social activities, like actually meeting random people.

(To those non-Scottish people, because of the weird Scottish school system it happens that quite a lot of people will finish school and go on to university before their 18th birthday.)

Just makes me slightly miffed. But frankly they weren't actually my first choice. But I just don't feel like I'm getting treated like a potential student at all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.