GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Global Dimming?..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/01/05 at 22:42
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
Theres something called Global Dimming, which could be far more influencial over Global warming than we could ever imagine. Over the last 30 years sunlight reaching the earths surface has decreased, evapouration rates are decreasing. This is due to air pollution;

More particles of soot, sulphur dioxide etc in the air provide more surface area for water droplets to condense on in the atmosphere (at cloud height). This result is more smaller droplets of water, rather than less and larger ones (natural), which results in more light being reflected by the clouds back into space. Less light hitting the earths surface results in a decrease in temperature in that area.

There is a DIRECT link between this and what caused the droughts/famine in 1984, which killed thousands in Africa. How? Well that area relies on the monsoon. This happens when cloud belt around the equator moves North, covering the desert areas and rains its butt off, providing water for plant growth, and (dirty) drinking water.

The belt moved South instead for several years because not enough light was penetrating (haha) and warming the sea/land which causes the evapouration of water, and formation of clouds (remember i mentioned less evapouration).

Whats makes me angry is the fact that WE are responsible for what happened. Car pollution, vapour trails left by planes, factories etc all produce the soot and particles, which caused this "dimming".

This global dimming is actually being reduced, due to better fuels and ways of removing particles from smoke. Ironically, as i will explain at the end, this will have a SUICIDAL effect.

On September 8-11 2001, temperature range across america was 0.5C below average. 11-14th, 99% of commercial flights didnt fly. The temperature range for those 3 days was 2 degrees higher than the previous days! Soon as the planes started flying again, it returned to what it was before. The correlation? Vapour trails prodcued by planes. These expand at high altitudes, as you can see when you look at the sky on a clear day. These cover the sky, and cause dimming in a similar way as i mentioned before, but its impact is more sudden.

Ok. What i learned freaked me out. Global dimming has a cooling affect, by action of air pollution particles. Global warming has a heating affect, by action of greenhouse gases. Its known that Global warming has a slightly stronger affect than dimming. But both are large, making the earths climate very sensitive. If we continue to reduce air pollution particles, but continue to output greenhouse gases, we will shift the equilibrium to the left, making greenhouse affect the stronger. Because dimming and warming are in balance with each other, take dimming out, and global warming becomes worse, far worse.

It is known that by the end of THIS century, global temperatures will have risen 10 degrees C. Take out dimming, and this will happen twice as fast. This will result in death to plant life, and all in all, death to our planet. Whats more, theres a point of no return: At the bottom of the sea there are methane deposits, total volume more than all the gases produced so far. Whats more, methane is 8 times worse than CO2. If the temperature were to rise 5 degreed approx, these deposits would be released from the ocean floor, adding to the greenhouse affect, from which point there would be NO turning back. We would all be screwed:

Result: Greenland ice cap melts. Sea level rises 8M. Amazon basin will no longer recieve rainfall, drys up and dies. More CO2 from there if it catches fire and burns up. Plant life in the UK for example would all die, as virtually none can survive 10C increase. Soil erosion would occur, leading to dust storms in the summer. In the winter, uncontrollable flooding.

And thats world wide.

We HAVE to stop polluting the atmosphere with greenhouse gases NOW. This WILL happen in our lifetimes (assuming your all my age, 18). If we dont, there will be no world for our children, literally, and for us that are still alive.

And heres the statistic youd know id say. AMERICA alone produces 25% of all the worlds Green House gases annually. Yes, the UK is no better, but America is contributing more than its fair share to a future tradegy, and they (Bush) honestly doesnt care (Bush's chair empty at Kyoto summit).

A summary of "Horizons" program which was on the 11/1/04, on BBC2.
By ShortyUK.

What worries me is all of what i just said is FACT, not speculation. Its been proven.
Thu 13/01/05 at 22:42
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
Theres something called Global Dimming, which could be far more influencial over Global warming than we could ever imagine. Over the last 30 years sunlight reaching the earths surface has decreased, evapouration rates are decreasing. This is due to air pollution;

More particles of soot, sulphur dioxide etc in the air provide more surface area for water droplets to condense on in the atmosphere (at cloud height). This result is more smaller droplets of water, rather than less and larger ones (natural), which results in more light being reflected by the clouds back into space. Less light hitting the earths surface results in a decrease in temperature in that area.

There is a DIRECT link between this and what caused the droughts/famine in 1984, which killed thousands in Africa. How? Well that area relies on the monsoon. This happens when cloud belt around the equator moves North, covering the desert areas and rains its butt off, providing water for plant growth, and (dirty) drinking water.

The belt moved South instead for several years because not enough light was penetrating (haha) and warming the sea/land which causes the evapouration of water, and formation of clouds (remember i mentioned less evapouration).

Whats makes me angry is the fact that WE are responsible for what happened. Car pollution, vapour trails left by planes, factories etc all produce the soot and particles, which caused this "dimming".

This global dimming is actually being reduced, due to better fuels and ways of removing particles from smoke. Ironically, as i will explain at the end, this will have a SUICIDAL effect.

On September 8-11 2001, temperature range across america was 0.5C below average. 11-14th, 99% of commercial flights didnt fly. The temperature range for those 3 days was 2 degrees higher than the previous days! Soon as the planes started flying again, it returned to what it was before. The correlation? Vapour trails prodcued by planes. These expand at high altitudes, as you can see when you look at the sky on a clear day. These cover the sky, and cause dimming in a similar way as i mentioned before, but its impact is more sudden.

Ok. What i learned freaked me out. Global dimming has a cooling affect, by action of air pollution particles. Global warming has a heating affect, by action of greenhouse gases. Its known that Global warming has a slightly stronger affect than dimming. But both are large, making the earths climate very sensitive. If we continue to reduce air pollution particles, but continue to output greenhouse gases, we will shift the equilibrium to the left, making greenhouse affect the stronger. Because dimming and warming are in balance with each other, take dimming out, and global warming becomes worse, far worse.

It is known that by the end of THIS century, global temperatures will have risen 10 degrees C. Take out dimming, and this will happen twice as fast. This will result in death to plant life, and all in all, death to our planet. Whats more, theres a point of no return: At the bottom of the sea there are methane deposits, total volume more than all the gases produced so far. Whats more, methane is 8 times worse than CO2. If the temperature were to rise 5 degreed approx, these deposits would be released from the ocean floor, adding to the greenhouse affect, from which point there would be NO turning back. We would all be screwed:

Result: Greenland ice cap melts. Sea level rises 8M. Amazon basin will no longer recieve rainfall, drys up and dies. More CO2 from there if it catches fire and burns up. Plant life in the UK for example would all die, as virtually none can survive 10C increase. Soil erosion would occur, leading to dust storms in the summer. In the winter, uncontrollable flooding.

And thats world wide.

We HAVE to stop polluting the atmosphere with greenhouse gases NOW. This WILL happen in our lifetimes (assuming your all my age, 18). If we dont, there will be no world for our children, literally, and for us that are still alive.

And heres the statistic youd know id say. AMERICA alone produces 25% of all the worlds Green House gases annually. Yes, the UK is no better, but America is contributing more than its fair share to a future tradegy, and they (Bush) honestly doesnt care (Bush's chair empty at Kyoto summit).

A summary of "Horizons" program which was on the 11/1/04, on BBC2.
By ShortyUK.

What worries me is all of what i just said is FACT, not speculation. Its been proven.
Thu 13/01/05 at 22:55
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Well go live in the woods then, nature boy

sorry...
Thu 13/01/05 at 22:57
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
Lol there wont be any woods in the UK in 50 years at this rate...

Not to be mr gloom and depression, but it is a serious issue that needs attention and action now.
Thu 13/01/05 at 23:03
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I don't pollute the environment and unless America/China/Africa stop (which they won't) then I guess we'll all die.

Yey
Thu 13/01/05 at 23:18
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
You dont pollute? You dont give off any methane?...

You mean to say you have a cork up your butt, good god! ;)
Fri 14/01/05 at 11:58
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
This is where my soon to be Manhattan Scientifics shares come into play.
Fri 14/01/05 at 22:45
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
Need to get off of this rock...What do we think are the chances of the issue being resolved? Can I have some guesses please? I'll start at 5%, but this may be a bit optimistic. Let's face it-humanity is retarded, why didn't we just stay in the trees? (or the sea or whatever)
Sat 15/01/05 at 12:08
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
Basically we wont realise were screwed until its actually visible around us, becuase most people are so ignorant they just dont care until it starts affecting themselves. By the time we all take notice it will be too late.

Whats more, even if everyone took notice, the measures we would have to take to beat global warming = reducing ALL types of petrol/oil transport that produce CO2 and those gases responsible, cutting factory production (that produce the gases) and coal/oil power plants.

Basically reducing the luxuries we take for granted every day. I doubt half the world (developed countries that is) would be prepared to do this, ESPECIALLY America. That country wouldnt give up its luxuries for anything, aswell as the fact the country would come to a complete hault without oil for transport fuels.

Basically we need cars that can run on water or non polluting fuels (in development) and ways of producing materials more efficiently, or different methods all together.

In summary, it aint gonna happen. The human race is on a continual "friday night binge" which has no signs of ever slowing or stopping.
Sat 15/01/05 at 12:19
Regular
Listen, life as we know it coming to an end.
Don't worry, the chances of it happening in your lifetime are incredibly slim, but it's happening.

It's nothing to get stressed over, it's just an eventuality which was bound to happen sooner or later.

The fact also is is that some scientists believe that the Earth is going through natural cycles that'll lead to the next ice age, whether we polute or not.

And if there IS something we can do about it, no one can be arsed to, so I guess it's natural for the human race to take a hit. I don't think we'll become extinct, but we're going to have to learn from the mistakes that these ancient metropolitan civilisations made.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.