GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"rasing my sync"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/10/09 at 23:39
Regular
a long time ago my old isp sent me a faulty router that lowered my sync speed from around 7000 to 5500 is they anyway i can make it go backup?
Mon 05/10/09 at 23:39
Regular
a long time ago my old isp sent me a faulty router that lowered my sync speed from around 7000 to 5500 is they anyway i can make it go backup?
Tue 06/10/09 at 12:02
"Are you sure?"
Hi, and welcome to the forums!
Here's an unofficial answer for you:

It's possible that your sync has lowered due to your Target SNR being raised from the default 6db.

For each 3db your Target SNR raises you lose approx. 750kbps of speed - this is BT's systems attempting to stabilise your line if they think there is a problem - possibly caused by your earlier faulty router.

In theory if your line remains stable this will reduce automatically - but sometimes this doesn't always go as planned.

If you can post your line stats: Sync/Attenuation/SNR this will allow people to judge where the problem might be.

More details on understanding ADSL Max

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 06/10/09 at 16:21
Regular
DSL Line Speed
up 448 kbps

down 5920 kbps

Line Attenuation
up 21.0

down 36.0

SN Margin
up 15.0

down 16.0

Total Errors Seconds 0
Tue 06/10/09 at 17:49
"Are you sure?"
My pleasure, don't mention it - I'm pleased to try and help :¬P

You're on a great line with that attenuation! *green*

Yep - it looks like like your Target SNR has been raised...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 06/10/09 at 22:05
Regular
thanks for the info :D
anyway that i can set the snr down apart from waiting??
Wed 07/10/09 at 10:37
"Are you sure?"
Your choices are:

~ If your line is stable and runs without too many errors the Target SNR should reduce automatically in 3db steps. 6db is the lowest it will go to on it's own. This can happen every 14 days or so.

~ You can 'tweak' the Target SNR manually by using tools such as DMT or RouterStats or by Telnet command. This only works if you have a tweakable router running tweakable firmware.

~ You can ask your ISP to arrange for your Target SNR to be manually reduced.

Let us know how you get on.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 07/10/09 at 11:03
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I should give a pre-warning here that Hmmm... has stated we will reduce the SnR manually for you. Not 100% true.

Whereas we can assess the line and see if this is logical, we will not just reduce this without reason. I find myself that it is generally set to a rate that is correct for the line, but we can investigate this should we feel that it is an issue.

If you do want us to look at it, probably best to send a support ticket in.
Wed 07/10/09 at 12:11
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt wrote:
> I should give a pre-warning here that Hmmm... has stated we will
> reduce the SnR manually for you. Not 100% true.

Actually I said "you can ask..." :¬P

Some providers are more successful than others in facilitating this with BT. From experience I know BT don't always play the game - but I also know it can be done :¬)

At one point I believe this exercise was being made easier to carry out - not sure how far that got?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 07/10/09 at 12:15
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Yeah it was going to be made so we could change this at some point. Although I feel that's delving deep in to the wholesalers "to do list" a bit too far :S
Wed 07/10/09 at 13:34
Regular
well i tryed tweaking but my router isn't tweekable so ill just have to wait

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.