GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wii online gaming starts with..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/11/06 at 15:13
"possibly impossible"
Elebits.

Well, almost.

Elebits will hopefully let you share content with other users, get new maps from Konami and send pictures from the game to friends. Not really 'online gaming' but it's an important step because it means Nintendo's online system is working and soon we'll see games like Smash Bros that will (again, hopefully) use the net fully in-game.

Details can be found here
Fri 01/12/06 at 15:43
Regular
"Cool!"
cool
Thu 30/11/06 at 14:13
Regular
"8==="
pb wrote:
> How dare you! :D and a Sony one at that...

:D

> I see where you're coming from, but surely the same can be said
> of the 360? I already know some people who just don't play
> there 360 any more because they're bored of it. I think even
> the PS3 won't escape this though...

Yep, but I think because of the new controller approach the Wii is more susceptible to this because it's aiming at non-gamers and therefore the average console lifespan for a Wii user will be lower because of the mass-market appeal, if you see what I'm getting at.

Basically a non-gamer isn't as likely to be as mad on the console after a few months.
Thu 30/11/06 at 14:09
"possibly impossible"
How dare you! :D and a Sony one at that...

I see where you're coming from, but surely the same can be said of the 360? I already know some people who just don't play there 360 any more because they're bored of it. I think even the PS3 won't escape this though...
Thu 30/11/06 at 14:08
Regular
Aibo....

*shudder*
Thu 30/11/06 at 14:06
Regular
"8==="
Indeed, but it's worth noting that in some cases it will be just a christmas thing, it will be seen by some as just a gimmic and they won't return to it after a while.

Some people will not keep up with new titles, they will stick with the ones they got at launch - grow bored with them and then put the console away.

Not every purchaser is going to be heavily drawn into the Wii gaming scene! :D

As for the 180 pricetag making sure people won't simply bury the console away: if you look at some of the things available such as robotic dogs (Aibo?) and other such temporary gifts with quite high pricetags it's easy to see how the Wii will indeed fall into that category for some people.

Yes that's right, I almost compared a Nintendo console to a walking dinosaur! ;D
Thu 30/11/06 at 13:58
"possibly impossible"
(Warning: Unsurprising response ahead)
I don't think it'll be a 'novelty' toy though. It's primarily a games console in the old-school sense of the word, but with some new control methods. Although the DS is handheld, it's at least proved it has staying power and that had similar concerns levelled at it when it was launched.

Many people are frightened (probably not the right word) by the other two consoles and their far more 'adult' games, they'll go for a Wii (heh) and probably keep using it. I doubt that for £180 odd many people will buy something like that and let it gather dust.

But who knows, eh?
Thu 30/11/06 at 13:52
Regular
"8==="
Definitely.

But will it quickly end up like the christmas boardgames that only come out once a year?

If they're making a profit on each unit sold I don't suppose it'll matter much. Much better than a singing 'Billy Bass' fish anyday! :D
Thu 30/11/06 at 13:49
Regular
I can see the Wii being quite a hit at Christmas with the Family for sure.
Thu 30/11/06 at 13:48
Regular
"8==="
Yes but the shallower the title that is being updated the more of a 'meh' response you can expect to get.

Good job it's always had multiplayer.
Thu 30/11/06 at 13:43
"possibly impossible"
Isn't everything nowdays just an update of something else, anyway?

Personally, I think I'd probably get £30 worth out of it anyway, as I would the £10-£15 out of the old one, especially with friends coming around to play multiplayer.

Online is great, I don't despute the effect Microsoft has had on that, but I think that these kind of games are just as well suited to playing with a gathered crowd of people in one place.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.