GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"i need help to make my pc better"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/01/05 at 23:13
Regular
"Monkey Man"
i'm running a p4 1.8mhz, with 512mb ram.
its got a radeon 9600 se 128mb card, but i need to know what to upgrade to make it run games smoother. i just bought half life 2 and battle for middle earth, which both look really great, but run VERY slow, and tahts with the settings set to low on both games!
I only have an 8x dvd drive, i dont know if its taht, but i want these games to be alot smoother, so i'd much appreciate any advice!
Wed 12/01/05 at 16:17
Regular
"Pwned"
Nimco wrote:
> Defrag your hard drive.

A great piece of software for that is "Diskeeper" from "Executive Software." It defrags your hard drive but does it alot faster and better than windows' defragmentater. And you can set it to do it automaticly. I think you have to pay for it, but you can download it from kazza for free, if it's still there. And it really speeds up your PC, if you do it reguarly.
Wed 12/01/05 at 10:25
Regular
"bing bang bong"
If you bring up the Task Manager (right-click -> Task Manager on the taskbar) while the PC is idle, go to the Processes tab, click on the CPU column header (to sort by that column) and find the row that has an Image Name of "System Idle Process", what sort of number is it sitting at? If it is fluctuating between values, what sort of values is it fluctuating between?

Look down the CPU column. Are there any other processes that have CPU column values significantly in excess of 0? If so, what are they called? (look in the Image Name column - if it's jumping around, clicking on it to highlight it in blue helps to keep track of it)
Wed 12/01/05 at 00:31
Regular
"NULL"
Try running some tools like AdAware and similar. Do a general cleanup of your PC. Disabled any visual effects in Windows XP that you don't need. Make sure you don't have too many background processes running. Defrag your hard drive.

If you do those things, your PC should be able to run a lot faster and thus run your games.
Tue 11/01/05 at 23:30
Regular
"Monkey Man"
framerates arent good. its weird because i've been told before it sould be capable to run these! do i need a new processor?
I want to get doom 3 but i dunno if my pc is up to that! it even plays football manager 05 a bit slow!
Tue 11/01/05 at 23:22
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Mmm, that computer should be capable of running BfME and certainly Half-Life 2 at a playable framerate. You could try downloading some benchmarking software like Aquamark (http://www.aquamark3.com/) and posting the scores it produces here (note that it's a big download, so you'll need broadband).

What sort of framerates do you get in those games?
Tue 11/01/05 at 23:18
Regular
Morbo is pleased, but sticky.
Tue 11/01/05 at 23:16
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
What MOBO do you have?
Tue 11/01/05 at 23:13
Regular
"Monkey Man"
i'm running a p4 1.8mhz, with 512mb ram.
its got a radeon 9600 se 128mb card, but i need to know what to upgrade to make it run games smoother. i just bought half life 2 and battle for middle earth, which both look really great, but run VERY slow, and tahts with the settings set to low on both games!
I only have an 8x dvd drive, i dont know if its taht, but i want these games to be alot smoother, so i'd much appreciate any advice!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.