GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Wars: IT IS ALL OVER!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/05/01 at 20:08
Regular
Sorry to be so truthful. But being realistic, the Console wars is over before the damn thing has even begun!
Nintendo Gamecube of course is dominating the news without even showing anything officially, which is saying something.
And what have we to look forward to for the X-BOX and PS2, apart from HALO, GT3, Metal Gear 2?????
Boring stuff indeed!
Thu 17/05/01 at 12:19
Regular
Games consoles are traditionally bought for Christmas by parents for kids, there wasn't any going about before Christmas because they were all being bought. The only console which kiddies can hassle there parents into buying them this Christmas is the PS2 and with a £100 price cut it will sell bucket loads. The console war will well and truley be over by next January.

Latest score (jan 2002)

PS2 22,000,000
XBOX 1,500,000
Gamecube 600,000
Dreamcast eh??
Thu 17/05/01 at 11:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Simple lines intertwining..I'm influenced by Mozart and Bach..this is a sort of Mach piece
Thu 17/05/01 at 11:00
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:
> It's hard trying to only speak in movie quotes..but I will do so to
> make up for my outburst of seriousness earlier in this
> thread.

>Apart from this post.

>Obviously.

I take it you haven't seen 'The Waterboy' starring Adam Sadler then. That's almost a direct quote....
Thu 17/05/01 at 10:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's hard trying to only speak in movie quotes..but I will do so to make up for my outburst of seriousness earlier in this thread.

Apart from this post.

Obviously.
Thu 17/05/01 at 10:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
turbonutter wrote:

Umm, I did. But I actually bought Linux and installed it. I don't think you can actually buy a Linux system.

You're quasi evil..the diet coke of evil..
Thu 17/05/01 at 10:54
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"

"Why do I have to be so damn pedantic?"

I think you're gonna ignore this particular problem until it swims up and bites you on the @ss Mayor...
Thu 17/05/01 at 10:53
Regular
"not dead"
turbonutter wrote:

Oh, does anyone know about the Linx
> console, inDrema or sommething?

It's been canned.

The website www.indrema.com might still be up, giving all the gory details for those that love to read about failure!
Thu 17/05/01 at 10:51
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Goatboy wrote:
> I know there's anti-Gates feeling, but how many of you went
> out and bought Linux systems because you loathe Microsoft?
Exactly,
> none of you.

Umm, I did. But I actually bought Linux and installed it. I don't think you can actually buy a Linux system.

Oh, does anyone know about the Linx console, inDrema or sommething?
Thu 17/05/01 at 10:49
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:
)

Gamecube is announced!: Hurrah! A new
> Nintendo console and it's £250...er...hang on...

More likely to be under £200

Just,looking
> back, Sony seem the only company that appreciate their customers and
> support them by creating a new console that allows you to play old
> games, a kind of "thank you" for making the PSX what it is
> today as I see it.

Mind you, Nintendo really did have to move on from the cartridge format, and they could hardly have stuck a cartridge slot into a machine as small as the GameCube.

The GBA, however, is backwards compatible, so clearly it isn't only Sony that 'appreciate their customers'.

Why do I have to be so damn pedantic?
Thu 17/05/01 at 10:41
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
N64 Launched: Hooray! A new Nintendo Console and it's £250...er..it's not THAT good is it?..I paid £250 for this?

Playstation Launched: What's this? Looks alright,I'll get one, I mean Sony..new to consoles, you never know

Saturn is launched: Hurrah! New Sega console!..er..it's ok I suppose

(few years later)

Gamecube is announced!: Hurrah! A new Nintendo console and it's £250...er...hang on...

PS2 is launched: Hurrah! Er..I cant find one anywhere..it's rubbish then..I've got one and it's good

Dreamcast is launched: Hurrah! New Sega Console!..er..they stopped doing them?!?!?!?!?

X-Box is announced:...*crickets chirrup in the dark night*.."Hello? This is Bill Gates, I've made a console...hello?....."

Ok, a bit of fun.
Alls I'm saying is, it's a cycle.
I worked at SR when they launched the PSX and Saturn.
The amount of calls we got that were "Which is better?" and the official line was "I cannot recommend a system over another one because they both have merits".
Meanwhile, we all bought PSX based on Sega performance.

Gamecube will be exciting because it's new.
But, personally, I won't touch one because I thought the N64 was an absolute joke.
Saturn, I had seen Sega's pattern of releasing a console early, promoting it and then leaving the room when another system came out.

X-Box, might be ok.
I love PC games, so if the console is any good, I'll get one.

PS2 is, rapidly, getting the titles it deserves with so many on the horizon.

Just,looking back, Sony seem the only company that appreciate their customers and support them by creating a new console that allows you to play old games, a kind of "thank you" for making the PSX what it is today as I see it.
Even years after the fact, N64 games are still £50-£60 when even PS2 average £30, and apart from the occasional decent release, their catalogue is drek.
Sega have cut their losses and come to Sony (humble pie in HUGE doses there).

Nintendo are waving their new machine in our faces and some of you like it, some of you don't.
X-Box is quietly gearing up and I personally feel it will be a slow burner but eventually a huge hit.

I know there's anti-Gates feeling, but how many of you went out and bought Linux systems because you loathe Microsoft?
Exactly, none of you.

It's just a games machine, it's not a war.
It's a nice distraction from our daily trudge through the job markets and families.

Phew, Goatboy is serious.
I apologise sincerly and will spend the rest of today speaking only in movie quotes to make up for this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.