GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wireless ADSL Question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/01/05 at 13:57
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
At the moment I have a PC that connects to the internet through a USB ADSL modem. We are getting a second PC to go else where in the house that has to be able to connect to the Internet and using cables is not an option. So I am thinking about doing it wireless but I don’t know the best/cheapest way to do it. I have a spare D-Link wireless network switch and a wireless network card for a desktop PC. So considering what I have what would be the best way to do it? And what other bits would I need?
Fri 07/01/05 at 09:23
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Just to clear a few things up, I am using BT Internet at the moment and have a USB modem. I also have my Xbox connected to my pc’c NIC so that I can play on Xbox Live. I would prefer it if I could have either of the 2 PC’s or Xbox connected to the internet independently of each other so I don’t have to have one PC on all the time so the other can access the internet.
Thu 06/01/05 at 18:03
Regular
"NULL"
As long as he sets it up correctly. With dialup we had to setup a proxy server - ICS didn't work. I have no idea whether these issues are the same with AOL Broadband as with AOL dialup.
Thu 06/01/05 at 17:45
"Bothered!"
Nimco wrote:
> The only problem I can foresee is the fact it is AOL Broadband. I
> remember with dialup you had to trick them into thinking there was
> only one machine connecting. Not sure if this is still the case :S

Yea but that won't matter coz he wont be connecting two computer to it, he will be connecting the home PC and then the laptop will be feeding off of the home PCs internet connection...surely?
Thu 06/01/05 at 17:27
Regular
"NULL"
The only problem I can foresee is the fact it is AOL Broadband. I remember with dialup you had to trick them into thinking there was only one machine connecting. Not sure if this is still the case :S
Thu 06/01/05 at 17:20
"Bothered!"
Easy, if the switch acts as i think it does then just put the wireless network card in the target machine, then get that talking to the wireless switch and then cable the switch to the modem. Use a splitter if need be.
That should work...im not 100% sure so see what others say, they may say that im talking rubbish. Alternatively, you could have a router instead of a modem (that way, its made for more than one PC to connect to it and you have a network) but my idea MIGHT work...see what people come up with.

SS
Thu 06/01/05 at 13:57
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
At the moment I have a PC that connects to the internet through a USB ADSL modem. We are getting a second PC to go else where in the house that has to be able to connect to the Internet and using cables is not an option. So I am thinking about doing it wireless but I don’t know the best/cheapest way to do it. I have a spare D-Link wireless network switch and a wireless network card for a desktop PC. So considering what I have what would be the best way to do it? And what other bits would I need?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.