GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"JSP"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/01/05 at 17:07
Regular
"NULL"
One of my clients has a half-finished web site. The front-end is mostly finished with minor corrections needed. The back-end is not finished and needs some tweaking. Only problem is, it's written in JSP.

I know PHP very well, but I've not got a clue when it comes to JSP. How hard is it to learn? Is it worth learning or would I be better off rebuilding the back-end in PHP? Does JSP require any expensive software - or any costs for that matter?
Sun 09/01/05 at 19:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
cjh wrote:
> For example, a PHP page making a connection to a database under
> Apache could execute 1000 times in 2 seconds, whereas the same task
> written in JSP using Apache and Tomcat could execute 1500 times in
> the same 2 second period.

I don't suppose they told which was faster when the code is only executed once. :)
Sun 09/01/05 at 17:57
Regular
"NULL"
Cool, cheers for the advice.
Sun 09/01/05 at 17:33
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
From what I've been shown on one of my courses, JSP is a very powerful scripting language, as it is based on Java technology. Because of the way it is compiled and generally written, the benchmarks showed that it was capable of processing more pages within a given time.

For example, a PHP page making a connection to a database under Apache could execute 1000 times in 2 seconds, whereas the same task written in JSP using Apache and Tomcat could execute 1500 times in the same 2 second period.

I'm afraid that's as far as I can go on the subject of JSP, as all I can go on is the becnhmarks from my course, and not personal experience.

I would still go with using PHP though - stick with what you know and take advantage of that would be my course of action.
Sun 09/01/05 at 15:37
Regular
"NULL"
How powerful is JSP as a language? In what ways can it outperform PHP - are there no PHP extensions to increase its functionality to cover what JSP can do? Or is JSP just more efficient?
Sun 09/01/05 at 15:12
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
JSP can out perform PHP with the right set-up, but if I were in your position, I'd change it all to PHP. For me, learning a new scripting language like JSP for a single web site wouldn't be worth it. Whereas using PHP could increase your ability in the language, even if you feel you're already pretty good at it.
Tue 04/01/05 at 22:04
Regular
"NULL"
There's no particular pressure, but after speaking to someone who has seen the site in more detail, he has said the JSP code is very messy. If it's anything like the HTML, it'll be a nightmare.

This guy is more experienced than I am, and he won't touch the site cos of the JSP!!
Tue 04/01/05 at 20:37
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
If you're not under pressure, I'd personally take the opportunity to learn something new.
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:52
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
There are quite a few JSP servers around Blazix, JRun, WebSphere, Tomcat and a few others. Tomcat is an Apache derivative so of course free (and the only one I've ever used to cant really speak for the others anyway).
So you can set that up on your own machine and happily develop away. You don't need anything more than that (except a text editor and the JAVA SDK). There are some very nice open source IDEs available too (eg Eclipse) which are really worthwhile given the size of Java's API.

I cant really answer if you should switch the project to PHP, that would depend on things like the current state of the project, its size and so on. One thing I would say though, if you're not familiar with Java and its workings, JSP can be difficult to debug for somebody unfamiliar with it. If you then add in its not even your code you're going to be looking at initially, you may well find switching to more familiar ground a better option.
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:07
Regular
"NULL"
One of my clients has a half-finished web site. The front-end is mostly finished with minor corrections needed. The back-end is not finished and needs some tweaking. Only problem is, it's written in JSP.

I know PHP very well, but I've not got a clue when it comes to JSP. How hard is it to learn? Is it worth learning or would I be better off rebuilding the back-end in PHP? Does JSP require any expensive software - or any costs for that matter?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.