GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Animal Crossing DS"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/01/05 at 20:03
Regular
"Remember me?"
Yesterday I ordered my Nintendo DS with Super Mario 64 DS, which should arrive by the end of the week (really can't wait for that). Before I clicked on that all important "buy" link, I spent an hour or so browsing the various games and accessories available for the handheld (as you do), and stumbled across the fact that Animal Crossing would be making its way to the DS at some point. At first, I thought that this was a classic example of Nintendo opting for the same "churn out as many re-hashes of old games as we can" strategy, as they did with the GBA. Seeing a port of Super Mario 64 as one of the launch games (no matter how updated and improved it may be over what is already one of my favourite games of all time) along with Ridge Racer DS also at launch and Rayman DS (both ports of N64 games) to come filled me with ghastly flashbacks of the days where countless Super Mario Bros. and other SNES ports ruled my GBA's life (you have no idea how made up I am over the fact there will be a new Super Mario Bros. game on the DS).

But with Animal Crossing, I now believe that this specific game would benefit from being on a handheld system and, if it properly utilises the DS' touch-screen and voice recognition doo-dads, it could surpass the Gamecube and (*sigh* N64) versions quite significantly.

The most annoying aspect of the GC version is that if you don't have anyone else in your household who is willing to play (and I don't, as my brother is a PC nerd glued to his swivel chair and my mother isn't at all interested and is still struggling with the DVD player I bought her two Chirstmases ago), then the game loses a certain something. There's something about visiting somebody elses town, along with interacting with their possessions and sending them lewd messages, that makes the game that much more enjoyable. Sadly, I don't get a lot of chances to do so. Secondly, with the game being on a home console, there are times when you can't sit down with the game and take full advantage of what's going on; you may just not have the time or you could be in work, etc. So you miss out on specific events or items that you might have been waiting ages for. Lastly, writing messages takes ages without a proper keyboard... and I outwardly refuse to sour my game with "omg lolol m8 dat iz soo fkin s**t 2ly omg omg!!!!111"-esque text talk drivel.

But when I think about Animal Crossing DS, I believe that all of these downpoints in the gameplay will simply evaporate. Firstly, the touch-screen and stylus malarkey will make typing messages quick and easy, so instead of being forced into writing things like "omg wkd m8 thnx 4 da prsnt it iz wll gd lol", I can write actual coherent messages like "Oh, how super! Many thanks for the present! I'm simply delighted with it!"... or something less queer, but along those lines. Secondly, with the game being on a handheld system, you can take it with you wherever you are and never have to miss out on some new outfit that's only available for ten minutes of the year, or you can quickly get a chore or two done on your tea break at work. Players will never have to miss out on anything the game has to offer, which will make the game that much more pleasurable (*chortle*) and fulfilling. Lastly, the wireless connecting thing will make it that much easier to take a trip to the town of a friend (or any random strangers who might be in the vicinity). Imagine sitting on a bus, checking your animal based street cred is intact, then all of a sudden someone says "Oh, you have Animal Crossing? Hey, can I visit your town?". It all makes my loins quiver in anticipation, I tells ya.

So that's my Animal Crossing... thing. I didn't particularly need to write it... but I just wanted to share my opinon. Plus, I haven't posted in here for ages and I was worried you all thought I was laying dead in a gutter somewhere. Your views on the upcoming game (or me laying dead in a gutter somewhere) are views I'd like to hear.

Dis-coos!
Thu 06/01/05 at 01:07
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Yes.. As long as they are sitting with the 20 metre wi-fi range :S

By then we might have found out what the secret online Warpipe/Nintendo thing is that's being worked upon.
Wed 05/01/05 at 21:36
Regular
"yo mah m8"
Is it true that animal crossing DS is multiplayer and you can talk to your friends on it.
Mon 03/01/05 at 17:16
Regular
"Remember me?"
Gamespot says September 12th of this year in the US, although I don't know how accurate that is.
Mon 03/01/05 at 13:39
Regular
"thursdayton!"
When are all these games coming out though? Anyone got an Animal Crossing release date?
Mon 03/01/05 at 13:16
Regular
I wouldn't be suprised if I end up playing Nintendo DS more than any other system.
Sun 02/01/05 at 22:46
Regular
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> Herr Dark Wolf wrote:
> Snowboard Kids DS
>
> Is that actually coming? I love that thing.

It's been confirmed by the developers. I loved the one on the N64 and still have it! Never got Snowboard Kids 2 though.
Sun 02/01/05 at 22:25
Regular
"Underbean"
I have spent many hours in front of the tv playing animal crossing, best game ever
Sun 02/01/05 at 22:24
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Wario is meant to be partially underwhelming - but Mario 64's min games truly do own.
Sun 02/01/05 at 22:21
"Uzi Lover"
And on Animal Crossing for the DS...what a perfect game for the system, or for any handheld at that. I just wish now I hadn't played the Cube version and just got the DS one (didn'r know it was coming).

Everything could of been so fresh and new. I spent so long on that game. Bah :-(
Sun 02/01/05 at 22:19
"Uzi Lover"
Herr Dark Wolf wrote:
> Snowboard Kids DS

Is that actually coming? I love that thing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.