GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hard drive interfaces"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/01/05 at 12:08
Regular
"Titty biscuits"
Just installed a new Hard drive (a seagate 120GB Barracuda 7200.7) and apparently it can take a faster cable type, which will improve the drive access speed etc. and I have no idea what that cable type might be. Also, if you know your stuff, will my old hard drive (a 30GB IDE IBM Deskstar) support this cable type? Thanks for any help.
Tue 04/01/05 at 18:09
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
You can get ones for 60 or 70p , dont waste 7 pounds
Tue 04/01/05 at 12:03
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Sly Fox wrote:
> “Don't buy that.” ?????

"Don't buy that cable that's worth a couple of quid at most for £7". Go to PC World or an independent store for one of those.
Mon 03/01/05 at 15:43
Regular
"YTS Primate"
“Don't buy that.” ?????

“Just installed a new Hard Drive”
This would lead me to believe the drive is installed and working for you.

A search on the Seagate web site for “Seagate 120GB Barracuda 7200.7”
shows this as an E-IDE drive so don’t worry about all the confusion that may be caused by well meaning people talking about SATA. Your BIOS is telling you that you need a UDMA 66/100 IDE cable. Just go to my original link.

You have the right cable when it’s blue at one end (the Motherboard) black at the other (master) and grey in the middle (slave).

The picture is wrong on the link but the product should be right from the description.

Hope this helps.
Mon 03/01/05 at 14:03
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Sly Fox wrote:
> [URL]http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG1658_udma_ata_66_or_ata.html[/URL]

Don't buy that.

There are two varieties of consumer-level HD on the market these days, Serial-ATA (SATA) and older IDE drives. If you have bought a SATA drive, you will need a SATA controller either on your motherboard or as a PCI extension card, a SATA cable to connect between the two, and a power supply that supports SATA drives.

If you have an IDE drive, then there are two types of cable available, 40 pin and 80 pin. Both your drives will benefit from an 80 pin cable, which supports much higher transfer speeds. You can tell if you have a 40 pin cable already by counting the number of individual wires in the cable ribbon. If the cable ribbon connected to your hard disk has blatantly more than 40 individual wires in it (it should also be noticeably smoother, with smaller individual wires, than the ribbon connected to your floppy disk drive) then you already have an 80 pin cable.

If you don't know what kind of drive you have bought, look at the back of it. If you see a socket that's approximately 5cm x 0.5cm and contains about 40 individual pins, then it's IDE. If you don't see that anywhere on the drive then it's likely to be SATA.
Sun 02/01/05 at 14:52
Regular
"YTS Primate"
[URL]http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG1658_udma_ata_66_or_ata.html[/URL]
Sun 02/01/05 at 13:45
Regular
Are you talking about SATA?

Serial-ATA

If so, you need to find out whether your motherboard has the correct sockets to accomodate the cable.
Sun 02/01/05 at 12:08
Regular
"Titty biscuits"
Just installed a new Hard drive (a seagate 120GB Barracuda 7200.7) and apparently it can take a faster cable type, which will improve the drive access speed etc. and I have no idea what that cable type might be. Also, if you know your stuff, will my old hard drive (a 30GB IDE IBM Deskstar) support this cable type? Thanks for any help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.