GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"mattributé Entertainment Excellence Awards"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/01/05 at 23:26
Regular
"tokyo police club"
mattributé Entertainment Excellence Awards

Album of the year

The Libertines - Self-Titled

I have listened to, and still do listen to, albums on which each and every song is spectacular. The Coral's self-titled effort springs to mind. But there are very few albums, which have ever managed to touch me in ways The Libertines second album has. It's widely said that this album isn't as good as its predecessor, and that, to be honest, is true. But, then again, what could ever match the genius of Up The Bracket? If the London 4 piece had released this first, I’m sure we'd be saying the same thing.

Like time-release capsules, the tracks each take their time to flourish, meaning that there's always a song or 2 that will keep you coming back to the album. Every listen brings a new interpretation or uncovers a new, previously unheard line.

From it's mixed up, almost confusing beginning to the longing last lines of 'What became of the Likely Lads?', each and every second, every moment is something special. Every line quotable and usable, what The Libertines may lack in musical prowess (which, depending on your opinion, ranges from none whatsoever to genius) they more than make up for in sheer creativity, innovation and poetry. Unfortunately, with Pete preferring the brown over his old mates Carl, the bass player and that black drummer, it looks like their second album may be their last.

2nd place

The Futureheads - Self Titled

Possibly Sunderland’s greatest entry to the musical world, The Futureheads make fast paced, brilliant and completely unique music - which, for once, is a good thing. Despite being classed as 'punk', the band are far from the whiny, love lost fools the genre implies. Unfortunately, what makes The Futureheads attractive is what has most probably kept them off the top spot (that and the fact The Libertines have brought out a modern day classic in the same year). Having an album 35 minutes long is one thing - but to have that album contain 15 songs is another. And although the songs may all be gold, the fact that they don't feel as touching or as personal as Pete and Carl’s masterpiece means they only receive a well earned 2nd place.

Second string Album of the year
Not quite on the a-list of most played, or what would spring to mind as 'best', but definitely worth mention

The Walkmen - Bows and Arrows

Sprawling, epic and beautiful. In 10 years time, this album will still sound just as good as it does today. An amazing album that, at another time, in another place, could've easily won album of the year. The Rat is definitely worth a download or 18.

2nd place

The Stills - Logic will break your heart

A decent album, but, apart from the singles, feels far to samey. Worth a listen, however.

Track of the year

Babyshambles - Killamangiro

After 'leaving' The Libertines, Pete Doherty fell back on his long running side project - Babyshambles. After starting out as a demo band (out of which most Libertine material spawned) Pete decided to re-record and release old favourite Killamangiro for public release. And how the public loved it. Number 8 on its first week and a quick decline after that, Doherty and his cohorts, however smacked up they may be, provided 2004 with a most amazing soundtrack. God bless him.

Most undeserved success

Franz Ferdinand

We know you're gay. We know you're Scottish. We know you appeal to the lonely 'curious' teen market. Now, why don't you go and try to make a song with meaningful lyrics or can last through 5 listens without being more annoying than pubic lice.

2nd place - Snow Patrol

You make okay music. I'll accept that. Spitting games (on its first release) was okay. I enjoyed it. I'd perhaps even download it if I remembered. But then people decide you're okay, despite the fact your singer can do nothing but whisper and blink a lot. Know your place, Patrol.

Honourary Award for Undeserved Success

Green Day

taken from a post I wrote on the Cube-Europe message boards...

"But, I mean, c'mon. Green Day. Green Day. They've basically released the same album 10 times and people STILL buy it.

American Idiot - fair enough, it's a decent enough song, but I hate the politics behind it. Basically it's Green Day trying to exploit all the teenage anti-Bush sentiment and the fact it's cool to hate the President. 'Yey, Green Day are punk rock revolutionaries'. Get over yourself, Billy Joe.

Boulevard of Broken Dreams - I don't even want to start on this one. You know the thing i said about Green Day exploiting the teenage market? Double that. You can imagine the boardroom meetings behind that song...

'There's a new Green Day album coming up and we need a song that'll sell it to the wannabe depressed teenagers. Any ideas?'
'Give it a really boring beat'
'Done.'
'And repeat 'I walk alone' a lot'
'Genius!'

Seriously, the fact they're so contrived amazes me. They have a set pattern for every album - do a nice rocky opener, then move onto something more downbeat for the depressed kids. It's like Eminem."

Band to look out for in 2005

Maximo Park

Apply some pressure has already intoxicated my mind and it will do the rest of the UK's by summer 2005. With a little bit of luck they'll be the band that'll sell millions next year - but, unlike Franz Ferdinand and Green Day, they may actually deserve some of it.

Game of the Year

Halo 2 - Xbox

I must confess, I used to hate the original. With a vengeance. Until I played the co-op mode. Since then I was vying, lusting, hoping for some kind of online play. Any bit of Halo 2 information and I was there, on it in a flash. Every Bungie Weekly Update was read, devoured and re-devoured by me every Friday. I was, of course, building myself up to be knocked down. And knocked down I was.

It may not be all I wanted or expected it to be. The single player levels aren't epic or sprawling, but almost seem timid and submissive, as if t was dumbed down over complaints from the last. The gameplay isn't varied and it all ends far too quickly - on a cliffhanger, no less. Which may be nice for Halo 3, but not nice for those of us who own Halo 2 now.

The online play, however, makes me moist to think about. Perfectly made and crafted, it should be on a disk of its own. Made of gold, with diamond encrusted on the top, just for show. You truly haven't lived until you've played 16 player Dawn of the Dead on Foundation. For anyone with access to Xbox Live, this is a must have.

2nd place

Pro Evolution Soccer 4 - Xbox

The perfect football game with a few flaws. Unrealistic keepers (who know if a shot is going wide or not and, accordingly, either dive for it or stand still), oversensitive referee-ing and imperfect online play. But STILL manages to be the longest lasting, most brilliant sports game ever made. Well done, Konami.

Most Undeserved

Prince of Persia 2: Warrior Within

I played may not have played it for long before I sold it, but in that 30 minute or some period, I had around about 60 fights. 58 of which were the same, the other 2 being mini-boss battles. Sure, flipping over someone’s head and slicing their neck from behind may sound cool now, but after you've seen the animation for it 20 times that minute, it kind of loses any kind of 'cool' factor.

Watch out for in 2005 - Handheld War

Nintendo have got the experience, 2 screens and the battery life. Sony have got the cool edge, graphics but can't stay on for longer than 10 minutes. It'll definitely one which’ll generate a lot of news stories. Place your bets now.

Overall king award: Buddle

Overall Prince award: Aimar.

Love

mattributé
Mon 03/01/05 at 21:22
Regular
Irony-o-meter

|----------------x-|
Mon 03/01/05 at 21:19
Regular
How can you call Halo 2 the game of the year?

It was so disappointing.
Mon 03/01/05 at 20:25
Regular
"tokyo police club"
If he was, i'd bum love him.

I have him ignored, so I can't read his replies.

pity.
Mon 03/01/05 at 20:00
"period drama"
Wow. I didn't realise the Libs were as big fans of Buffy as you.
I bet you're them, aren't you? All four of them contained within your keen little shell.
Mon 03/01/05 at 19:10
"period drama"
Emitime wrote:
> Forza wrote:
> The only Green Day song I like is their acoustic one - Time of Your
> Life.
>
> It's called 'Good Riddance'!
>
> Argh. *explodes*

"Good Riddance (Time of your Life)" actually.
Mon 03/01/05 at 16:07
Regular
"\\"
Forza wrote:
> Life.

It's called 'Good Riddance'!

Argh. *explodes*
Mon 03/01/05 at 16:04
Regular
"you've got a beard"
mattributé wrote:
> Very_Metal wrote:
> so what should music be about if not thoughts/opinions?
> it certainly isn't cool to hate bush, highlighted by the fact that
> the little cretin won again
>
> But does that mean that Bush is cool?

it really depends on your political standpoint.

> I go to college filled with
> rich kids and little goth wannabe's. I take Politics. And all I hear
> is people moaning about Bush as they try to appear educated and
> holier than thou. It certainly IS cool to hate Bush in the market
> that Green Day are appealing to.

possibly.
but the song will also be heard by a lot of people who aren't in your class, it won't stop being a good tune.
hehe, i would like to sit in on one of your classes though, it sounds almost exactly like most of the posers in the uni canteen; bemoaning the world with their inixpliccable scarf/short sleeves combo and permenant morning hair, OH the wackiness.

there's a great line in Good Will Hunting that summarises it nicely and it applies to a lot of people treading water in education, to paraphrase; "the sad thing about people like [these] is that in 10 years time, they're going to do some thinking of their own"

a band writes a song and the record company releases it, after that it's out of their hands. people will interpret and adopt it as they see fit, this shouldn't detract from the song or the band unless it's BLATANTLY been written with the intention of being a cash cow (like Wheatus' "teenage dirtbag". awful, AWFUL song. predictable, tedious, cliche and insulting. i have no time for songs about teenage life being sung at me by a 30 year old poser)

right, in honour of having a massively dull bank holiday, i'm off for a spliff and a coffee.
dynamite.
Mon 03/01/05 at 15:44
Regular
"tokyo police club"
It is a decent song, yes.

But it's been raped by wannabe Goths.

And Goths are mean.
Mon 03/01/05 at 15:42
Regular
Oh well.
I like it.
:'{
Mon 03/01/05 at 15:41
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Forza wrote:
> Life.

Overplayed and is an anthem for a generation of wannabe depressed teens.

Ugh.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.