GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My PC Crashes when Idle (Network card related)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/01/05 at 18:42
Regular
This p****s me off x185.4

I start downloading something (through Bit Tornado (note, perfectly legal etc you have my word blah)), and so I go away for a while or leave it on during the night perhaps.

I come back, and find that my PC has restarted.

"Windows has recovered from a serious error"
I do the error report thing, and it's related to my network card apparently (Netgear FA311), and it links me to the Netgear website.

Anyway, this is bloody annoying. Apparently, it's a sort of half known problem that's other people are having.

Note this: [URL]http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/fa311.php[/URL]
I tried that...and it still crashes.

Is it a faulty network card? If it is, I'll just sneak into the other room where the other PC is and swap them round (sshh).
But yeah, it's gay. I haven't tried disabling the standby timeout thing yet, but that would possibly work considering it's only once I've left the PC for a while that it crashes.

And it is only when the network or whatever (excuse my idiot terms) is open and there's a flow of data and stuff. Aye. So that leads me to believe that stopping it from going to standby would work.

But that would be a pain in the ass. So, my question, eventually, is - any ideas?

Cheers in advance.
Sun 02/01/05 at 19:17
Regular
Hmmmmmm.

It happened earlier just out of the blue.
So that means that the whole standby thing is rubbish.
Which means I have the exact same problem as this:
[URL]http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/fa311.php[/URL]

And I have those drivers in already.
Hmm.
Sun 02/01/05 at 15:47
Regular
"Thank you for submitting an error report. The error was likely caused by:

Netgear Ethernet (fa312nd5.sys)"

Happened again last night.
BAH.

Yeah, I'll try that later and leave something on overnight.
Hopefully...
Sun 02/01/05 at 13:48
Regular
Go away Chad with your Mac speak :P

The only thing (like someone said below) you can do is whip out the card, shove a fresh one in and see if the problem repeats.

Or, just purchase a cheapy card from ebuyer: £1 - £2 - the PC downstairs at my place has one and it works perfectly fine, it didn't even need any drivers!
Sun 02/01/05 at 03:50
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Get a mac.

See if that fixes the problem.
Sat 01/01/05 at 23:09
Regular
I have.

Nothing.
:'{

"Netgear evidently refuses to admit that there is a problem and will not release new drivers (they still have drivers from 2001 on their website.)"
Sat 01/01/05 at 23:03
Regular
"NULL"
Check for driver updates on the WindowsUpdate site...worth a try
Sat 01/01/05 at 23:02
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Try another network card and see.. it's the only way you'll ever be sure.

Process of elimination, my dear Watson.
Sat 01/01/05 at 21:24
Regular
help me you helping people!
Sat 01/01/05 at 18:42
Regular
This p****s me off x185.4

I start downloading something (through Bit Tornado (note, perfectly legal etc you have my word blah)), and so I go away for a while or leave it on during the night perhaps.

I come back, and find that my PC has restarted.

"Windows has recovered from a serious error"
I do the error report thing, and it's related to my network card apparently (Netgear FA311), and it links me to the Netgear website.

Anyway, this is bloody annoying. Apparently, it's a sort of half known problem that's other people are having.

Note this: [URL]http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/fa311.php[/URL]
I tried that...and it still crashes.

Is it a faulty network card? If it is, I'll just sneak into the other room where the other PC is and swap them round (sshh).
But yeah, it's gay. I haven't tried disabling the standby timeout thing yet, but that would possibly work considering it's only once I've left the PC for a while that it crashes.

And it is only when the network or whatever (excuse my idiot terms) is open and there's a flow of data and stuff. Aye. So that leads me to believe that stopping it from going to standby would work.

But that would be a pain in the ass. So, my question, eventually, is - any ideas?

Cheers in advance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.