GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Network question"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/12/04 at 23:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Right, broadband being installed next Tuesday.
And despite me paying for it, ma has insisted she needs it on her computer for work. Yeah, because reading emails and online chatroom sessions with her students requires broadband huh?

So what's the easiest way to set up a network?
Somebody talked about a router that the broadband will be fed into and we go from there?
Wireless? Cable?

Somebody that knows, some advice would be appreciated before I get extremely annoyed with this whole situation and refuse to pay for it simply to spite her.
Tue 14/12/04 at 17:49
Regular
Tyla wrote:
> Mode wrote:
> Cables are more reliable, well for the time being.
>
> That's the funniest thing I've read all day

For an Ad-Hoc network.
Tue 14/12/04 at 17:26
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Mode wrote:
> Cables are more reliable, well for the time being.

That's the funniest thing I've read all day
Mon 13/12/04 at 21:57
Regular
Daveus wrote:
> monkey_man wrote:
> Wireless way too expensive - you'll be looking at over £100
> just
> to play computer games online! Cheap router, cheap cables,
> £30
> tops.
>
>
> Cables are ugly!

Cables are more reliable, well for the time being.
Mon 13/12/04 at 15:22
Regular
You sure she'll have enough bandwidth left to send her e-mails etc, with all those episodes of "My First Sex Teacher" you'll be downloading??
Sun 12/12/04 at 02:15
Regular
"BOSE"
monkey_man wrote:
> Wireless way too expensive - you'll be looking at over £100 just
> to play computer games online! Cheap router, cheap cables, £30
> tops.

Cables are ugly!
Fri 10/12/04 at 14:31
"I love yo... lamp."
There's an Xbox Live FAQ that I wrote with lots of links to routers and stuff. Just replace Xbox with PC and it still all applies.

It covers the different routers for ADSL and cable, wireless etc.
Fri 10/12/04 at 09:40
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Wireless way too expensive - you'll be looking at over £100 just to play computer games online! Cheap router, cheap cables, £30 tops.
Fri 10/12/04 at 08:50
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Indeed. Cheap cable router if all PC's/consoles are located in close proximity, or a Wireless system if they're far apart.
Fri 10/12/04 at 08:44
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Get a cheap router for about £20-30 from PC World (or SR, if you must), which will allow you to plug up to 4 devices via ethernet cables. Very, very simple. Bit like me really.
Thu 09/12/04 at 23:45
Regular
"gsybe you!"
A router is a simple answer - one cable from phone socket to router, and then cables from router to each possible destination - a PC, another PC (possibly), and/or an Xbox/PS2 for example.

However, if said destinations (my word for it) are a long way apart, or you hate cables, a wireless system would be better - requires cable into router and then some sort of 'bridge' - I'm not so sure how this works, as I simply have a cable........but somebody will answer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.