GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PROGRAMMING VACANCY AT SR"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/05/01 at 19:57
Regular
As the title suggests there is a programming vacancy at SR doing stuff like PHP and doing/learning stuff like Linux and SQL.

Good enthusiastic sla... er bod required - hard working etc.

Not much experience necessary - keen interest required. Oh - and flexibility too. That means coming in at midnight when the servers crash.

E-mail [email protected] and ask for an application form.
Wed 16/05/01 at 12:49
Regular
Yep 4 years of uni, I just done half of first year law, but i missed my puters, even a playstation 2 from my student load couldn't fill the void.
Wed 16/05/01 at 12:43
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I was going to do that course. Are you talking about the 4 year course? I got offered 18 points for the first year which I should get. I decided not to go thought as its a long way away from where I live at home. They do a good course at a Uni near me that will get me into programming. I have done a little programming at home and school but I just am not in the mood to study it all the time as Iam busy doing other things. If I was doing programming at school or Uni and had it for a subject which I did in the day. Then that would be good as I could do all the other things that I like, e.g Computer games, Internet and Tv.
Wed 16/05/01 at 12:25
Regular
You can get a free c++ compiler from www.borland.com which supports standard c++, all you need to run it is a text editor and a couple of extra files (which you do not get from borland) and then you've got a fully functional compiler. If you're looking for a course, look at the University of Abertay up here in Dundee, i'm about to start a Bsc in Computer Games Technology + japanese which is partly run by DMA design (The guys who made lemmings and GTA). The uni is also a member of the Scottish Games Alliance so you can make some good contacts for getting into the games industry.

Darkness_2K wrote:
> On the subject of programming, I know HTML.

But, I wanted to
> expand my knowledge. I was thinking 'java' or 'c' languages, but
> everyone here being educated, I wondered if you could help me
> choose?

PS - I don't have much money for compilers etc.! :(

Wed 16/05/01 at 12:16
Tony wrote:
> That means coming in at midnight when the servers
> crash.

What do you mean our servers never crash (except the mac ones)!
Wed 16/05/01 at 11:04
Regular
"not dead"
COmmon Business Oriented Language my eye!
Wed 16/05/01 at 11:03
Regular
"not dead"
I can program. :-)

In COBOL. :-(
Wed 16/05/01 at 10:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Goaty is yer man.

Except my musical commitments prevent me from comitting to a full time job.
Anyhoo, had an interview before with Tony for web-related position and we ended up fighting in the car-park over the priority of humour over work-ethics.

Anyways, who takes a math test at an interview?

That sucked man..
*s*
Wed 16/05/01 at 10:09
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Darkness_2K wrote:
> On the subject of programming, I know HTML.

But, I wanted to
> expand my knowledge. I was thinking 'java' or 'c' languages, but
> everyone here being educated, I wondered if you could help me
> choose?

If I were you I'd learn Java first as opposed to C++. It's significantly easier for beginners. You can get all the development kit stuff you need off the net for free, but I recomend actually learning from a book rather than a web-based tutorial. It will cost you £20-£30 for a decent Java book you can learn from.

How much HTML do you know? If you've already familiar with javascript (which isn't the same as java, I might add), then you'll already understand many of the basic concepts required for Object Orientated Programming. If not, then hava a go at Javasctipt first. You don't want to throw yourself in at the deep end.
Wed 16/05/01 at 07:40
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I'd love to, but I'm only 15. Work from home? Weekends?
Wed 16/05/01 at 07:40
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
On the subject of programming, I know HTML.

But, I wanted to expand my knowledge. I was thinking 'java' or 'c' languages, but everyone here being educated, I wondered if you could help me choose?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.