GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future Of Video Games Has Come And Gone!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/05/01 at 16:20
Regular
Computer games are going backwards, and about time too!! For the past four or five years we have been playing the same games over and over again with little in the way of care for quality, playability and (dare I say it?) FUN!! We are constantly still being harrassed over whose console is better, mine does this, mine does that, who cares?? What needs to be considered is why people play games. The answer will be the same as why the game boy has lasted ten years and pokemon has become the single largest franchise in gaming history. What is it I hear you ask?? Attention to detail. And before anyone harks on about graphics and visual detail, I couldn't care less. Can the gameboy produce 3d models made up of 50k polygons, mm, no. How many people 16+ can say that their best game playing times were spent playing a spectrum or C64, these people will probably remember the early incarnation sof the dizzy series (proof that sequals do not have to be identical to thier predecessor). What the gaming industry needs for the future is not to return to it's roots as such but to at least look back at where it came from. I currently own a PS2 and have noticed that this has already begun, ZOE, Kessen, Starfighter and Timesplitters have something which has been missing for some time. These games creat that little feeling inside that makes you forget what time of the morning it is, even though you've got a lecture at 9 the next morning. And I'm glad to say i've seen that before.
Wed 16/05/01 at 14:40
Regular
Other than Code Veronica the Dreamcast doesn't have any games with any sort of depth, how boring was Shenm...zzzzzzz
Wed 16/05/01 at 14:38
"possibly impossible"
Bonus wrote:
> Meka I am glad to see you agree with me. These games all had an
> instant playability that was present in most past games (except for
> Zelda on the n64, so boring!). Goldeneye is a classic because it
> challenged the player, it was not easy to complete all the missions
> within set times. also the attention to detail in the levels has
> never been matched in any other first person shooter. But the main
> point is, good computer games will make the player want to keep
> playing and engrosses you. Admittedly the Dreamcast has good games
> (I do own one, by the way) but very few games with the exception of
> Code Veronica are little more than extended Arcade games, ie Crazi
> Taxi, not bad games but i expect more when I buy a console for
> £200.

Expect more that playing the perfect Arcade games on a home console? I'm just happy I can do that, then there's all the new stuff the Dreamcast has got that doesn't come from an arcade, or have arcade style gameplay. Dreamcast is best of both worlds, that's what I say.

The problem is that for every original game with good detail and playability on any console, there are a couple that are really bad and have no redeeming features.
Wed 16/05/01 at 11:54
Regular
Meka I am glad to see you agree with me. These games all had an instant playability that was present in most past games (except for Zelda on the n64, so boring!). Goldeneye is a classic because it challenged the player, it was not easy to complete all the missions within set times. also the attention to detail in the levels has never been matched in any other first person shooter. But the main point is, good computer games will make the player want to keep playing and engrosses you. Admittedly the Dreamcast has good games (I do own one, by the way) but very few games with the exception of Code Veronica are little more than extended Arcade games, ie Crazi Taxi, not bad games but i expect more when I buy a console for £200.
Wed 16/05/01 at 08:06
Regular
"not dead"
Not sure that I agree entirely with the title of the post "The future of Video Games Has Come And Gone!!"

I expect to see many new innovations in the future to keep gaming special.

In recent years I have also experienced some truely special games, so I'm not sure that I agree with some of your posts content either. I don't suppose you could let us know which console you owned before you got your PS2? I have an N64, and my opinion is that this system has seen some fantastic games, in which the attention to detail, and depth of the game have just left me amazed.

Super Mario 64 still plays wonderfully to me today, some 4 years after I first played it. It was a huge step up from anything seen on the SNES, and a truely great gaming experience.

Goldeneye followed and showed the world just how good the FPS genre could be done on a colsole. I found that there was just t so much to this game compared to what else was available back in the day.

Look also at the two Zelda games on the N64. You won't find a much better gaming experience than these. I found that with different sub-quests, and items to collect that you could lose hours of your time, completely fixed on your gaming world.

I'm sure that Dreamcast owners will also tell you that they have played on many great games in recent years too.

You are right to argue that good graphics don't make a good game, and it is true that many, many games have ignored this factor, and scored high on looks, but low on playability, but it's always been this way. Back in the days of the SMS people raved about the graphics, and compared to what had come before it, often they were, and like today, some games looked amazing (for the day) but played terribly.

Attention to detail within the game is an important factor, I agree. I'd like to see more interactivity within the environment, so any item you can see, you can pick up, and take with you if you decide that it might be useful. I'd like to see non-playable characters that did more than just quote the same line at you every time you walked into them. I'd like to see many different paths that the game could take me down. I'm hoping some of these things will be in the future of gaming, but if not, I'm sure there will be other things that continue to fascinate me, and keep me hooked on gaming for a long time to come.

Maybe what we'll see a return to, in the future, is that little feature in which you have to spell 'BONUS' by collecting the individual letters to gain an extre life ;-)
Tue 15/05/01 at 17:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Ummm, I've already said this almost exact same topic once.
Tue 15/05/01 at 17:51
Bonus has some good points in his article though.

In becomming mainstream videogames have lost the plot a bit, with many games now looking great but being completely unplayable. I also remember the old Dizzy games, loved them!
The GameBoyAdvance will hopefully see a return to playability over flashy graphics
Tue 15/05/01 at 17:27
Regular
I think he just smuggles himself abroad, they don't usually look for brains in overhead compartments... and thanks, I'm sure he'll do fine, and be back in no time.

Tue 15/05/01 at 17:26
Regular
To be honest, I wouldn't be too worried. The brains seem to have formed their duties underground... I get lots of nods from people I've never met before, only for me to be told (Oh, that's only Jim from the states... I wonder what he's doing down here.)

You should be gratful, actually.
Tue 15/05/01 at 17:24
Regular
"A square watermelon"
Ah, I see.

Why would I be scared? I find that perfectly normal.. I wish your brain luck :) Hope he (?) comes back soon to keep you company again! Do brains get discounts on flights, as they don't take up as much room?
Tue 15/05/01 at 17:23
Regular
My brain is now degected at not getting an invite

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.