GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The History of the Internet"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/05/01 at 20:56
Regular
Ever wondered how the internet evolved? Let me tell you the story of how it came about..

Is started with a military group "ARPANET" (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network) involved with Sputnik satellite. Out of a great need of security they decided to make what we now no as the internet. The idea was a faster better, safer way to share information on their projects. They succeeded and a new technology was born.

It was in 1983 when a modern form of connection which we use regularly today was created. However, at the time there were a few problems. Firstly Hardly anyone had a personal computer. Computers were more common in business and education. So there was an Internet but not any users. The only people who would use it were in work or education. Secondly the computers were what could only be explained as poor. There was the Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair Spectrum, Dragon, Acorn Atom, Commodore Pet and Vick. By today’s standards they were primitive. The ZX81 for example had a Membrane keyboard (touch sensitive pads) connected to a television, was black and white and only had 1K of ram.
:-0. Nowadays the average comp has 64-128 MB Ram about 64,000-128,00 times more.

The internet was there and waiting to evolve but it just didn't have the user base to help it. As computers grew more powerful it was possible to buy modems. Small bulletin boards and sites started to grow. Again there was a problem. All the websites were independent - each site had to be connected to individually ie. All had different telephone numberss. The biggest was Prestle which I believe still exists to date which was provided for example education. Still they were primitive as unlike today you couldn't simply phone one number to get all the sites. Also Computers had very small hard disks for storage. For many you still had to use an old cassette recorder these often took 10 minutes to load.

It was around 1995 when the Internet came of age. Home computers started to get much more powerful and ISP's started popping up all over the place. Now it was possible to dial just the one number as we do today instead of individual numbers! These ISPs connected to all the sites from a main PC so there was no need for the other more complicated system.

Today the internet is the largest global communications network in our history. It is successfully used by businesses, its a place of entertainment, a place where u can meet new people and communicate with them and a huge place containing education and resources to find and use. It has unlimited potential and nearly anything can be done with it. And what will the future bring? So far it looks like advances will be made in mobile phones to provide complete internet access as on a PC. (Currently you only have a selected few specially made "WAP" sites).

I hope my knowledge interested you.
Mon 14/05/01 at 20:56
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Ever wondered how the internet evolved? Let me tell you the story of how it came about..

Is started with a military group "ARPANET" (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network) involved with Sputnik satellite. Out of a great need of security they decided to make what we now no as the internet. The idea was a faster better, safer way to share information on their projects. They succeeded and a new technology was born.

It was in 1983 when a modern form of connection which we use regularly today was created. However, at the time there were a few problems. Firstly Hardly anyone had a personal computer. Computers were more common in business and education. So there was an Internet but not any users. The only people who would use it were in work or education. Secondly the computers were what could only be explained as poor. There was the Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair Spectrum, Dragon, Acorn Atom, Commodore Pet and Vick. By today’s standards they were primitive. The ZX81 for example had a Membrane keyboard (touch sensitive pads) connected to a television, was black and white and only had 1K of ram.
:-0. Nowadays the average comp has 64-128 MB Ram about 64,000-128,00 times more.

The internet was there and waiting to evolve but it just didn't have the user base to help it. As computers grew more powerful it was possible to buy modems. Small bulletin boards and sites started to grow. Again there was a problem. All the websites were independent - each site had to be connected to individually ie. All had different telephone numberss. The biggest was Prestle which I believe still exists to date which was provided for example education. Still they were primitive as unlike today you couldn't simply phone one number to get all the sites. Also Computers had very small hard disks for storage. For many you still had to use an old cassette recorder these often took 10 minutes to load.

It was around 1995 when the Internet came of age. Home computers started to get much more powerful and ISP's started popping up all over the place. Now it was possible to dial just the one number as we do today instead of individual numbers! These ISPs connected to all the sites from a main PC so there was no need for the other more complicated system.

Today the internet is the largest global communications network in our history. It is successfully used by businesses, its a place of entertainment, a place where u can meet new people and communicate with them and a huge place containing education and resources to find and use. It has unlimited potential and nearly anything can be done with it. And what will the future bring? So far it looks like advances will be made in mobile phones to provide complete internet access as on a PC. (Currently you only have a selected few specially made "WAP" sites).

I hope my knowledge interested you.
Mon 14/05/01 at 20:59
Regular
Vick.

Hmmm...
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:00
Regular
Sorry. Feeling rather mad tonight.

Baa haa ha.

See?
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:00
Regular
"A square watermelon"
I'm just glad it exists. I can't imagine what I'd do without it. Interesting how it all started though, amazing how it spread world wide.
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:03
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Yep imagine a world without the internet... very scary :-0. It's amazing how much a part of our lives it now is...
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:06
Regular
"A square watermelon"
Indeed. I go mad whenever I get cut off for more then a few days... It takes up too much of my time, but who really cares. It's the way of the future and beneficial to my education (at least that's what I tell my parents, if they ask why i'm here all the time..)
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:08
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
:D he he
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:17
Regular
Of course this is beneficial to us...

We... err... learn social skills. Allow us to argue in depth a chosen subject. Every now and again, we talk about games.

It also teaches us how to type better, and also how to write short stories better. Certainly has done for me, anyway.

You also learn that not EVERYONE on the net is a paedophile... most of them, but not all of them. ;0)

Mon 14/05/01 at 21:19
Regular
"A square watermelon"
Oh yes :) And it's improved my typing no end. 'Rents are still Paranoid, and learning to argue is fun and needed for "The Real World" You also learn how to get the most out of the internet and the modern age. Tada, wonderful speech. It's things like that, that get me two phonelines and unlimeted access. Still need to work on getting a cable modem though.
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:20
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Rakuga wrote:
> It was around 1995 when the Internet came of age. Home computers started to get much more powerful and ISP's started popping up all over the place.

Yep - 1995. That's the year we started "reserve.co.uk", on a Macintosh of course.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.