GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Size matters?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/05/01 at 20:28
Regular
Hey,
The length of games is really an issue now, especially with the release of many PS2 games, being hailed as short but oh so sweet.
So are graphics the demonic souls that sacrifice the longevity of next generation games?
No, of course not. Thats just stupid.
But of course, there must be a reason that the PS2's leading titles (ZOE, Shadow of Memories) are shorter than what we are used to.
I personally don't really know for sure, but here is one reason I have been thinking of.

Many games have trouble holding our attention these days. The Resident Evil series are infamous for being short lived, but if they were longer, would they be known as true gaming greats now? I mean, I wouldn't be able to sit through any more bad voice overs or tedious puzzles in any of the series games.
But then, on the other side of the coin is the RPG, which holds our attention and no matter how long it lasts, we are there right until the "Thank you for playing" (or whatever) message is displayed.(Good examples are Zelda and Final Fantasy)

Now, having made a point, and then contradicted myself, I will stop typing....
Cheers
Raven_spw
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:58
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Are you gonna change to just jimmy now that your not so new?
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:55
It would be nice if games were longer, however playability comes before lastability in my books. Its better to play a good game that only lasts a short while than play a bad game that lasts ages.

The Resident Evil Games prove this point theyre short but great fun to play.
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:53
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Game lengh doesnt bother me too much but it is quite importaint.

Two of my favourite arcade games, time crisis and HOTD2 are very short but it doesnt stop them for being great games.

Your right in a way, shenmue was quite short and didn't provide you with any reason to play it again, which left me angry because the little that is was astounded me.

Game lengh should be sorted out so that you feel that the game was long enough so you felt it was worth your money.
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:43
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I'm a believer that games should be much, much, larger. I'm referring in particular (well... 'only' would be a more appropriate word) to 3D adventure/rpg/etc type games here. CBFD, for example. Unlike most games, these tend to have relatively little replay value - therefore they should be longer in the first place.
Mon 14/05/01 at 20:35
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Actually, they do. a 1000 poly podel is a tenth of the size of a 10000 poly model. Then there are graphics subroutines etc.

But really, the developers can't be bothered. It takes so long to program a PS2, it's far too much effort.

A good way to test:

Look at the bottom of a PS2 disc. You might just be able to make out 2 areas. The inner one is the game. See how much of it it takes up. Don't think that because it's up to half way means it's 50% full, though.

Also, see if a PC will recognise it. That'll tell you exactally how much game there is. I think a CD should be 650mb
Mon 14/05/01 at 20:28
Regular
"Forum Tweener"
Hey,
The length of games is really an issue now, especially with the release of many PS2 games, being hailed as short but oh so sweet.
So are graphics the demonic souls that sacrifice the longevity of next generation games?
No, of course not. Thats just stupid.
But of course, there must be a reason that the PS2's leading titles (ZOE, Shadow of Memories) are shorter than what we are used to.
I personally don't really know for sure, but here is one reason I have been thinking of.

Many games have trouble holding our attention these days. The Resident Evil series are infamous for being short lived, but if they were longer, would they be known as true gaming greats now? I mean, I wouldn't be able to sit through any more bad voice overs or tedious puzzles in any of the series games.
But then, on the other side of the coin is the RPG, which holds our attention and no matter how long it lasts, we are there right until the "Thank you for playing" (or whatever) message is displayed.(Good examples are Zelda and Final Fantasy)

Now, having made a point, and then contradicted myself, I will stop typing....
Cheers
Raven_spw

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.