GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SP2 Worth it?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/12/04 at 09:41
"Genius!"
Thinking about getting SP2 on my pc, but ive heard so many varied comments, some good and some bad.
Please give your opinions on it.

Thanx!
Tue 21/12/04 at 13:10
"Genius!"
Ok thanx guys.
I'll probably install it, not sure yet though.
Tue 21/12/04 at 13:03
Regular
I installed it on an existing Win XP machine a few months ago. I had also read that it can cause problems for some.

I have had no problems, although I did follow all the instructions for backing up you system, clearing out any un-unused applications etc.

So it is worth allocating some clear time for this - as it can take a few hours in all. Don't rush it and read the instructions first!!

Good-luck... and hope it s a good one for you.
Tue 21/12/04 at 13:03
Regular
Pretty much what the other two said. I basically got it for the Security updates then disabled the Firewall etc using services.msc so it is essentially stripped down to the bar bones with the security updates.

Not sure if my on-going f**k face of a problem with Medal of Honor is related to Service Pack 2 in anyway but every other game/application I have used has ran without hiccups. So far only ever installed it straight after a fresh boot of Windows so I can't speak out for the problems some have had installing on top of an existing Service Pack 1 system.

Some say it uses around 6% for of your CPU power when running high end applications but to be honest I am unable to see frame differences when running timed demos between games I tried before getting Service Pack 2.

If you have Broadband then go for it.
Tue 21/12/04 at 11:19
Regular
"you've got a beard"
so far i've seen it installed on a fresh build and it proved to be quite useful, on the other hand, i saw it added to an existing machine and it screwed up pretty much everything...
Tue 21/12/04 at 10:24
Regular
"NULL"
I would install it because it does have some important security updates, but be aware that you may encounter some hiccups. I suggest you uninstall your firewall before you install SP2 - that's what I had to do.
Tue 21/12/04 at 09:41
"Genius!"
Thinking about getting SP2 on my pc, but ive heard so many varied comments, some good and some bad.
Please give your opinions on it.

Thanx!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.