GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best Graphics Card For £120 - £150?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/12/04 at 00:17
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
After christmas I will have about £120 - £150 to spend on a new graphics card and I was wondering which would be the best one to get.

I currently have a GeForce 5700LE which is pretty lame - I had to swap my 6800LE for it because HL2 wasn't working with that GPU for some reason.

Thanks.
Sat 18/12/04 at 00:17
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
After christmas I will have about £120 - £150 to spend on a new graphics card and I was wondering which would be the best one to get.

I currently have a GeForce 5700LE which is pretty lame - I had to swap my 6800LE for it because HL2 wasn't working with that GPU for some reason.

Thanks.
Sat 18/12/04 at 00:21
Regular
"Captain to you."
B.A.S.I.C wrote:
> After christmas I will have about £120 - £150 to spend on
> a new graphics card and I was wondering which would be the best one
> to get.
>
> I currently have a GeForce 5700LE which is pretty lame - I had to
> swap my 6800LE for it because HL2 wasn't working with that GPU for
> some reason.
>
> Thanks.

You can't really get a card better than yours for that sort of money or not at least from teh websites i just checked. What was up with the 6800? Did you contact nvidia and look on the valve forums and try different drivers?
Sat 18/12/04 at 00:34
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
chippxero wrote:
>
> You can't really get a card better than yours for that sort of money
> or not at least from teh websites i just checked. What was up with
> the 6800? Did you contact nvidia and look on the valve forums and try
> different drivers?

The monitor kept switching onto standby - no signal or something. I tried everything (5 different drivers, 3 different tech supports, about a dozen forums, different monitor, etc) but nothing worked.
I've seen the Radeon 9800 for about £120 on a website, the name of which I can't remember. What similar cards are there.

EDIT:
You can get a Radeon 9800 from SR for £125.99 - That'll do me, at least this one is DirectX 9 - the 5700LE is only 8.5. Thanks anyway for your help.
Sat 18/12/04 at 00:44
Regular
"Captain to you."
B.A.S.I.C wrote:

> The monitor kept switching onto standby - no signal or something. I
> tried everything (5 different drivers, 3 different tech supports,
> about a dozen forums, different monitor, etc) but nothing worked.
> I've seen the Radeon 9800 for about £120 on a website, the name
> of which I can't remember. What similar cards are there.

Shame you couldn't get it working. A 9800 is only a better than your card at the moment really. But if your going for one try to get a 9800 pro it's about the same as a Geforce FX 5900 XT. But if i was you i'd try to go for a 256mb card if you can get one for the price.
Sat 18/12/04 at 00:48
Regular
B.A.S.I.C wrote:
> The monitor kept switching onto standby - no signal or something. I
> tried everything (5 different drivers, 3 different tech supports,
> about a dozen forums, different monitor, etc) but nothing worked.

My mate had a similar problem. What's happening is that your graphics card supports a very high refresh rate and games will often try and use this. However if the refresh rate is pushed beyond the limits of your monitor it will go into standby. You need to go into your motherboard bios settings and change a monitor or graphics card setting so that it wont go higher than your monitor refresh rate.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.