GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anything to take into consideration with new HDD?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/12/04 at 01:58
Regular
"We are the dead"
I'm getting either:

(Incidentally, which would you go for? I'm swayed by the Maxtor because it's, well, a Maxtor)

Anyway - is there any compatability issues I should take into consideration when getting a new HDD?
I don't want to buy the damned thing then find out it won't run at full speed or won't work at all etc etc etc.

Cheers.
Sat 11/12/04 at 16:30
Regular
"Bicycle"
Indeed.

Owiee.
Sat 11/12/04 at 15:11
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Afternoon wrote:
> Can you remove the links from the post, its currently violating one of
> our forum rules.

A fully understandable rule and I don't have a problem with following it. But if you want to enforce it, at least have some consistency about doing so. Numerous posts floating around here with links to competitors, I see no reason to single out this one in particular.
Sat 11/12/04 at 14:46
Regular
"We are the dead"
Do it yourself if it's a problem.

Apologies for not linking to your overpriced hardware instead.
Sat 11/12/04 at 14:42
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Can you remove the links from the post, its currently violating one of our forum rules.
Sat 11/12/04 at 13:38
Regular
"Back For Good"
Seagate Barracuda, no doubt about it. It'll go forever.
Sat 11/12/04 at 12:12
Regular
"Bicycle"
Go for a Seagate 7200.7, but the 200GB version.

It has 100GB PLATERS! 100GB!

That's what I'm getting for Christmas. Sweet as cherry pie.
Sat 11/12/04 at 10:55
Regular
"We are the dead"
Cheers muchos.
Sat 11/12/04 at 02:41
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
You wont go far wrong with either. Most brands are fairly comparable, people always have personal preferences of course. My last Maxtor died within a year of buying it, so all the drives I've bought since have been Seagate. Equally, you'll find people that swear by Maxtor drives on here.

> Anyway - is there any compatability issues I should take into
> consideration when getting a new HDD?
> I don't want to buy the damned thing then find out it won't run at
> full speed or won't work at all etc etc etc.

You shouldn't have any compatability issues at all unless you have a really old system. About the best I can suggest is to make sure you have an IDE cable thats rated for ATA133 (although its rare you get those kind of speeds anyway).
Sat 11/12/04 at 01:58
Regular
"We are the dead"
I'm getting either:

(Incidentally, which would you go for? I'm swayed by the Maxtor because it's, well, a Maxtor)

Anyway - is there any compatability issues I should take into consideration when getting a new HDD?
I don't want to buy the damned thing then find out it won't run at full speed or won't work at all etc etc etc.

Cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.