GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo 2 Soundtrack - Volume 1"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/12/04 at 02:00
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I'm not really one to listen to gaming music. I'll be forced to listen to 5 minutes of gamingfm.com an hour after my friend has managed to dig up some old Saturn game theme, but other than that, i'm a Jazz/Blues guy. However, after playing the masterpiece that was HALO, I was addicted to some of the more ambient tracks, 'A Walk In The Woods' and 'Under Cover of Night', namely.

So then, expectation was high for the sequel, as far as I was concerned. I wanted more of the same. But different. Some more of the same type of relaxing music that I could listen to both in the car and in bed. And my request was answered... so much so in fact - it's disappointing! The reason being... a handful of the tracks from the HALO 2 Soundtrack: Volume 1, are no more than re-arrangments of HALO themes.

The rocked-out Title Theme aside, 'Heretic, Hero' starts well, but around a minute in, stops and starts again as 'A Walk In The Woods'. It sort of fits, but a bar of percussion is left in between... so where as they could have faded it in smoothly, it all seems a bit bolted on. Shame really. Another clone-track is 'Flawed Legacy'. Almost identical to it's HALO 'cousin' Perchance To Dream. You won't notice much differece here!

But it's not all HALO spruced up. All the music is good, even the new stuff. You have 'In Amber Clad', which is a movie-style slow tempo rock somg. No lyrics, as with most of the songs, a little distortion on the guitar. Almost a song for mourning. But quite good for you rocker-skatery types you want something mellow, but are afraid your friends will pick on you if it doesn't have and 'grit' to it.

You also have an 'Oddessy'. Courtesy of the band Incubus, under the supervision of Marty O'Donnell, this 'Oddessy' is a 4-Part collection. it's rock. But more of a jam session. So don't be too afraid to listen to it at least once, if head-aches, lip-piercing and festivals aren't your thing. It's a bit moody. And ironically not 'up to par' with the rest of the soundtrack, but not bad enough that you'd want it professionally edited from your disc! There's also another rock track at number 2 on the disc. it's your average rock-song with some guy shouting about something. Not all bad though. There's also a 'Connected' track by Hoobastank, whoever they are. Again, it's a 'big' name writing a 'samey' track for their favourite game. Definitely should be on there album so as not to taint the soundtrack, but still. I'm sure someone will listen to it... maybe.. if they forget to press repeat or back to a different track.

The rest of the songs are all new. What you have to remember is that these songs were written to be included in a videogame. They're there to add atmosphere. To heighten the senses. To help tell a story. They weren't created for you to listen to on a CD, although they're actually that good. The only main problem is that a handful of the new tracks are all Covenant/Flood ambience tracks, so they don't really do much for listening to! Skipping the 'Never Surrender' track is also advised, unless you're drugged up to your eyeballs and have a 'thing' for Drum and Bass - Blimey!

All in all, we're only half-way. Volume 2 should be out soon (Febuary 9th Melarchy?!) And we'll see what's left to sample. Ideally, any fan should have this.. Arguably just for the new and frankly incomparable 'Peril' track from the 'Delta Halo' level. It's the nice ancient-ruins track, and can genuinely put a smile on your face. Especially when you remember all the funny Grunt remarks from the level. Genius. So, there you have it. Not a bad soundtrack, especially for people who like a bit more 'kick' to their music. Hopefully we'll have some more in-house music in Volume 2, and maybe some special track that didn't quitemake it into the game!

Recommended Primarily For Fans, But also Rockers, Skaters and the odd Money-Wasting, Pill-Popping Scally-Wag!

Anyone else heard it?
Tue 07/12/04 at 02:00
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I'm not really one to listen to gaming music. I'll be forced to listen to 5 minutes of gamingfm.com an hour after my friend has managed to dig up some old Saturn game theme, but other than that, i'm a Jazz/Blues guy. However, after playing the masterpiece that was HALO, I was addicted to some of the more ambient tracks, 'A Walk In The Woods' and 'Under Cover of Night', namely.

So then, expectation was high for the sequel, as far as I was concerned. I wanted more of the same. But different. Some more of the same type of relaxing music that I could listen to both in the car and in bed. And my request was answered... so much so in fact - it's disappointing! The reason being... a handful of the tracks from the HALO 2 Soundtrack: Volume 1, are no more than re-arrangments of HALO themes.

The rocked-out Title Theme aside, 'Heretic, Hero' starts well, but around a minute in, stops and starts again as 'A Walk In The Woods'. It sort of fits, but a bar of percussion is left in between... so where as they could have faded it in smoothly, it all seems a bit bolted on. Shame really. Another clone-track is 'Flawed Legacy'. Almost identical to it's HALO 'cousin' Perchance To Dream. You won't notice much differece here!

But it's not all HALO spruced up. All the music is good, even the new stuff. You have 'In Amber Clad', which is a movie-style slow tempo rock somg. No lyrics, as with most of the songs, a little distortion on the guitar. Almost a song for mourning. But quite good for you rocker-skatery types you want something mellow, but are afraid your friends will pick on you if it doesn't have and 'grit' to it.

You also have an 'Oddessy'. Courtesy of the band Incubus, under the supervision of Marty O'Donnell, this 'Oddessy' is a 4-Part collection. it's rock. But more of a jam session. So don't be too afraid to listen to it at least once, if head-aches, lip-piercing and festivals aren't your thing. It's a bit moody. And ironically not 'up to par' with the rest of the soundtrack, but not bad enough that you'd want it professionally edited from your disc! There's also another rock track at number 2 on the disc. it's your average rock-song with some guy shouting about something. Not all bad though. There's also a 'Connected' track by Hoobastank, whoever they are. Again, it's a 'big' name writing a 'samey' track for their favourite game. Definitely should be on there album so as not to taint the soundtrack, but still. I'm sure someone will listen to it... maybe.. if they forget to press repeat or back to a different track.

The rest of the songs are all new. What you have to remember is that these songs were written to be included in a videogame. They're there to add atmosphere. To heighten the senses. To help tell a story. They weren't created for you to listen to on a CD, although they're actually that good. The only main problem is that a handful of the new tracks are all Covenant/Flood ambience tracks, so they don't really do much for listening to! Skipping the 'Never Surrender' track is also advised, unless you're drugged up to your eyeballs and have a 'thing' for Drum and Bass - Blimey!

All in all, we're only half-way. Volume 2 should be out soon (Febuary 9th Melarchy?!) And we'll see what's left to sample. Ideally, any fan should have this.. Arguably just for the new and frankly incomparable 'Peril' track from the 'Delta Halo' level. It's the nice ancient-ruins track, and can genuinely put a smile on your face. Especially when you remember all the funny Grunt remarks from the level. Genius. So, there you have it. Not a bad soundtrack, especially for people who like a bit more 'kick' to their music. Hopefully we'll have some more in-house music in Volume 2, and maybe some special track that didn't quitemake it into the game!

Recommended Primarily For Fans, But also Rockers, Skaters and the odd Money-Wasting, Pill-Popping Scally-Wag!

Anyone else heard it?
Tue 07/12/04 at 13:22
I love the Peril track. When I played Delta Halo I just knew I needed that track. Don't really like the Oddyssey ones, and a couple in game tunes were just stagnating too much.

Ancient Machine is also worth a mention, it'll scare the willies off ya.
Tue 07/12/04 at 17:41
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
I will certainly be getting this, the soundtrack is truly superb.
Tue 07/12/04 at 17:51
Regular
"\\"
It was terrible. Fin.
Wed 08/12/04 at 21:22
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
got this ages ago..very good soundtrack..2 or 3 songs i dont care for but the rest is great
Wed 08/12/04 at 22:41
Regular
"gsybe you!"
eye'Aoe wrote:
> It was terrible. Fin.

What, some of the best in-game music ever heard in a game?

Destroyed Half Life 2s.

OOO, CONTROVERSY!!11
Wed 08/12/04 at 22:44
Regular
":'{"
Cycloon wrote:
> Destroyed Half Life 2s.

INCORRECT!!!11

:)
Wed 08/12/04 at 23:11
Regular
"\\"
Cycloon wrote:
> eye'Aoe wrote:
> It was terrible. Fin.
>
> What, some of the best in-game music ever heard in a game?
>
>
> OOO, CONTROVERSY!!11

Yeah. Half Life 2 isn't the best game for music... But you still can't say Halo 2 is good for it.

Compared to Halo, Halo 2 is terrible...
Wed 08/12/04 at 23:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Halo 2 has some of the best in game music ever - I have no idea what you're on about.

In terms of actual game, it beats Halo 1 as well, but that's not what we're on about.
Wed 08/12/04 at 23:14
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Cycloon wrote:
>
> OOO, CONTROVERSY!!11

If its anything like half lifes tehn there will be half off a song when you put your suit on and thats it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.