GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Stepford Wives"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/12/04 at 20:49
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Frank Oz remakes the 1970's classic.
Capsule review? Great if you haven't seen the original and have recently awakened from a coma and need help to feed yourself.

What was originally a sinister, creepy comment on the suburban nuclear family and the male dominant society has been turned into a slapstick comedy.
A comedy where the big twist is revealed within the 1st 20mins, the very first social engagement the new couple go to and there-you-go, she's a robot.
*shakes head*
There's no menace, the men aren't an oppressive group of alpha-males intent on creating their idealised woman who won't trouble them.
Nope, they're robot-wars playing nerds who swap their wives for robots because they're too meek to deal with feisty, independant women.
It's lost the entire premise of the book/original movie - which was one of subjugation of the female to allow the male to pursue other interests without the annoyance of the banal.

Nicole Kidman doesn't understand comedy and seems to think she's in some dramatic study of relationships, whilst John Lovitz eats cupcakes and makes rubbish jokes.
It just doesn't gel, veers between clumsy social comment (in precisely 2 speeches/monologues delivered, I kid you not, during a lightning & thunderstorm at night) and sub Jerry Lewis slapstick pratfalls.
Giving up on watching it with any interest, I put the Frank Oz commentary on to see if it shed any light on this mewling abortion of a remake.

And one comment sums up why this turgid loaf doesn't deserve your £.
It's during the scene where Kidman discovers her previously feisty friend (man hating in this version) has been turned into a robot.
Oz explains that there was a scene that had Midler flipping out and having all sorts of Inspector Gadget type appliances shooting out after Kidman stabs her in an attempt to get away. One of the few scenes that was in the original as well incidentally.
Oz says "The test audience didn't really go for the whole robot thing, they thought it was silly. So we cut that out"
Sorry? A film about women being turned into robots, and you cut out the money-shot effects sequence because the audience didn't really go for the robot angle?

Avoid.
Mon 06/12/04 at 20:15
Regular
Saw this not long ago, thought it was alright, and haven't seen the original.. should try and investigate.

Not bad, but not amazing.
Mon 06/12/04 at 18:32
Regular
The thing that annoys me about Nicole Kidman is that she only seems to have one expression for all occasions.
Mon 06/12/04 at 18:00
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I try and avoid Nicole Kidman full stop. Something about her face just irritates me. And she's ginger.
Mon 06/12/04 at 15:02
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hey, 4/6 ain't bad.
Sun 05/12/04 at 21:16
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Hmmm, do I believe several paragraphs of reasonable, well thought-out discussion, or 6 attempts at getting a word right?
Sun 05/12/04 at 21:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Figures.
Sun 05/12/04 at 20:59
Regular
i fink it a gr8 film
Sun 05/12/04 at 20:49
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Frank Oz remakes the 1970's classic.
Capsule review? Great if you haven't seen the original and have recently awakened from a coma and need help to feed yourself.

What was originally a sinister, creepy comment on the suburban nuclear family and the male dominant society has been turned into a slapstick comedy.
A comedy where the big twist is revealed within the 1st 20mins, the very first social engagement the new couple go to and there-you-go, she's a robot.
*shakes head*
There's no menace, the men aren't an oppressive group of alpha-males intent on creating their idealised woman who won't trouble them.
Nope, they're robot-wars playing nerds who swap their wives for robots because they're too meek to deal with feisty, independant women.
It's lost the entire premise of the book/original movie - which was one of subjugation of the female to allow the male to pursue other interests without the annoyance of the banal.

Nicole Kidman doesn't understand comedy and seems to think she's in some dramatic study of relationships, whilst John Lovitz eats cupcakes and makes rubbish jokes.
It just doesn't gel, veers between clumsy social comment (in precisely 2 speeches/monologues delivered, I kid you not, during a lightning & thunderstorm at night) and sub Jerry Lewis slapstick pratfalls.
Giving up on watching it with any interest, I put the Frank Oz commentary on to see if it shed any light on this mewling abortion of a remake.

And one comment sums up why this turgid loaf doesn't deserve your £.
It's during the scene where Kidman discovers her previously feisty friend (man hating in this version) has been turned into a robot.
Oz explains that there was a scene that had Midler flipping out and having all sorts of Inspector Gadget type appliances shooting out after Kidman stabs her in an attempt to get away. One of the few scenes that was in the original as well incidentally.
Oz says "The test audience didn't really go for the whole robot thing, they thought it was silly. So we cut that out"
Sorry? A film about women being turned into robots, and you cut out the money-shot effects sequence because the audience didn't really go for the robot angle?

Avoid.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.