GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What I think about Hip Hop"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/05/01 at 11:39
Regular
I have got a lot of things that I could say about hip hop. I could talk about my favourite artists, groups etc. or the state of hip hop at the moment.
I'll do both, but begin with the state of hip hop!

I think that the Americanisms (before people complain, I know that isn't a proper word!!!) that are present throughout the world in rapping, just shows how much we take from that country. Ok, so it started there, but that doesn't mean we can't finish it in Britain does it?!

I don't mean to say that all the artists in America are wack, because we all know that without them, we wouldnt be anywhere in the hip hop industry, but, the little kids that are gettin involved, at the tender ages of 12-13 (Lil Bow Wow) is gettin a little stupid!! I mean he is just racking up the sales because he is young, related to Snoop Dogg, and cuz all tha gurlz think he is cute!!! I mean, he doesn't even write his own rhymes!

Now that I've gotten over the fact that a kid 3 years younger than me is on tha 2 triangle (2 million sales!) and a whole lot richer than me, I can get back to Hip Hop!!!

A lot of people nowadays are getting more into Hip Hop, be it rapping, dancing, or just listening to it. I think that England needs some more hot spots in reagrds of clubs around the country promoting Hip Hop. We have got alots of young stars on this little island, and yet no-one has really made it into the bigtime. For example, I could name you about 50+ American artists, but I'm sure that every rap fan visiting this site couldn't name 20+ British rap acts in the mainstream!

OK, that's enough about how America has more rap artists, now I can get onto who I think are the best in the game, lyricists, producers etc.

My favourite star right now would have to be DMX. He is only just turning 30, and yet has written, sold, even produced some of his hundreds of tunes!!!!

There are a lot of good rappers though, one of the most wll known of course has to be Eminem. I like some of his rhymes, but others can be a bit far fetched. One of my favourite Eminem tunes has to be his first. I was one of the first in my whole area to hear that, so it stuck in my memory, and I just love everything about that song; storytelling, comedy etc!!!

One of my favourite groups at the moment have to be M.O.P. not many people in England have heard much from them, apart from the latest track "Cold As Ice", but I picked up the album a short while ago, and its hotter than Christina Aguilera sitting on a cooking stove!!!!! I think they are a pair to watch for the future!!!!

I have a really short comment to make about what I think of OutKast recently, with the exception of their beats and the song Rosa Parks - WACK! Nuff said!!!

The best producers in the business have to be Dr Dre and DJ Premier. Dre somehow manages to get a different beat EVERYTIME he produces a song. He obviously does all of his, and none of the beats on 2001 sound alike. On all of Snoop's latests album "The Last Meal" all the tracks sound different too. DJ Premier is quite unheard of in England also. He makes quite sensuous beats, and has a knack of beaing able to make a soothing, yet aggressive beat! That is hard to explain, but you have to listen out for him, give him about 5 years, and he'll be as big as Dre (I mean reputation wise of course!!!)

Anyway, I think I have ramlbed on for a long time now, just post what you all think too!!!

aiight then

{1 Luv}
Sun 13/05/01 at 11:39
I have got a lot of things that I could say about hip hop. I could talk about my favourite artists, groups etc. or the state of hip hop at the moment.
I'll do both, but begin with the state of hip hop!

I think that the Americanisms (before people complain, I know that isn't a proper word!!!) that are present throughout the world in rapping, just shows how much we take from that country. Ok, so it started there, but that doesn't mean we can't finish it in Britain does it?!

I don't mean to say that all the artists in America are wack, because we all know that without them, we wouldnt be anywhere in the hip hop industry, but, the little kids that are gettin involved, at the tender ages of 12-13 (Lil Bow Wow) is gettin a little stupid!! I mean he is just racking up the sales because he is young, related to Snoop Dogg, and cuz all tha gurlz think he is cute!!! I mean, he doesn't even write his own rhymes!

Now that I've gotten over the fact that a kid 3 years younger than me is on tha 2 triangle (2 million sales!) and a whole lot richer than me, I can get back to Hip Hop!!!

A lot of people nowadays are getting more into Hip Hop, be it rapping, dancing, or just listening to it. I think that England needs some more hot spots in reagrds of clubs around the country promoting Hip Hop. We have got alots of young stars on this little island, and yet no-one has really made it into the bigtime. For example, I could name you about 50+ American artists, but I'm sure that every rap fan visiting this site couldn't name 20+ British rap acts in the mainstream!

OK, that's enough about how America has more rap artists, now I can get onto who I think are the best in the game, lyricists, producers etc.

My favourite star right now would have to be DMX. He is only just turning 30, and yet has written, sold, even produced some of his hundreds of tunes!!!!

There are a lot of good rappers though, one of the most wll known of course has to be Eminem. I like some of his rhymes, but others can be a bit far fetched. One of my favourite Eminem tunes has to be his first. I was one of the first in my whole area to hear that, so it stuck in my memory, and I just love everything about that song; storytelling, comedy etc!!!

One of my favourite groups at the moment have to be M.O.P. not many people in England have heard much from them, apart from the latest track "Cold As Ice", but I picked up the album a short while ago, and its hotter than Christina Aguilera sitting on a cooking stove!!!!! I think they are a pair to watch for the future!!!!

I have a really short comment to make about what I think of OutKast recently, with the exception of their beats and the song Rosa Parks - WACK! Nuff said!!!

The best producers in the business have to be Dr Dre and DJ Premier. Dre somehow manages to get a different beat EVERYTIME he produces a song. He obviously does all of his, and none of the beats on 2001 sound alike. On all of Snoop's latests album "The Last Meal" all the tracks sound different too. DJ Premier is quite unheard of in England also. He makes quite sensuous beats, and has a knack of beaing able to make a soothing, yet aggressive beat! That is hard to explain, but you have to listen out for him, give him about 5 years, and he'll be as big as Dre (I mean reputation wise of course!!!)

Anyway, I think I have ramlbed on for a long time now, just post what you all think too!!!

aiight then

{1 Luv}
Tue 15/05/01 at 09:13
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
UK hip-hop is at it's strongest for a long time.

You have artists like Mark B & Blade, Black Twang, Roots Manuva, Rodney P, London Posse etc.

It's a problem with being taken seriously. UK rappers can't use the slang and topics of the U$A because we don't experience the same lifestyle.
If you do attempt the same, it comes off like an uncle dancing at a wedding.
Tue 15/05/01 at 09:22
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I don't claim to know a lot about Hip Hop (indeed I sit opposite a learned Hip Hop fiend who sneers every elementary mistake I make about the subject) but it's something I'm really getting into at the moment. I've been listening to albums like Deltron 3030 and Handsome Boy Modelling School (which introduced me to the genre), plus the Gorillaz album is rather ace too.

I may not know who DJ Funtymunch and all his mates are, but I know what I like. And i likes the sounds of Hip Hop.
Tue 15/05/01 at 09:38
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I've been an advocate of hip-hop since my school days, being mocked for listening to Power by Ice-T when everyone else had Spandau Ballet.

If you're getting into Hip-Hop, I can personally recommend:

Mark B & Blade - The Unknown (UK at its finest)
The Gza - Liquid Swords
DMX - It's dark and hell is hot
Deliquent Habits - Return of the Tres

All solid gold records.
Although right now, hip-hop is sitting on the floor whilst "Lateralus" by Tool is stunning me
Tue 15/05/01 at 15:18
UK hip hop is wat ive been tryin 2 promote for that last god knowz how long, but i have 2 agree it is hot ryght now, and still gettin betta!!!
Tue 15/05/01 at 15:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yes it is.

I do feel it's a shame that Blade has been doing his thing for over a decade now with barely a flicker of recognition, but Feeder come along and remix a track, suddenly he's on Radio 1 every hour.

I'm pleased for him, but the reason he's being played is not entirely honourable
Wed 16/05/01 at 16:40
Not really sure if this should be classed as Hip-Hop or Rap, never mind if they're UK or not (I don't know much about any of it to be honest), but I've heard a couple of tracks by MOP recently - Cold As Ice, and Ante Up... both really good.
Thu 17/05/01 at 20:06
Regular
Joe@SpecialReserve wrote:
> Not really sure if this should be classed as Hip-Hop or Rap, never
> mind if they're UK or not (I don't know much about any of it to be
> honest), but I've heard a couple of tracks by MOP recently - Cold As
> Ice, and Ante Up... both really good.

too rite
Sat 19/05/01 at 14:39
yeh they r Hip Hop, and i got their album.....Ante Up is their new single, and the remix with Busta rhymes is brilliant as well....they aren't from the UK, but they r still kewl!

about tha Blade thing...i agree with you that it is kinda cold how tha track is bein played just cuz its been mixed, but i heard songz like "Ain't No Stoppin Us" as an example long before i heard the song mixed by feeder!!!!

{{{1 Luv}}}
Sun 20/05/01 at 10:01
I love DMX too. Hey MrMod you know anything about a new album he's bringing out I've heard a few rumours?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.