GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Escape from butcher bay"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay'.
Tue 21/12/04 at 08:55
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Potty mouthed, extremely violent and damn good fun. Vin Desil even manages to create a likeable character. Graphics are very similar to doom3 (Plastic people, which seems to be an opengl normal mapping problem) but without the flash lighting.

Nice introductory tutorial too. Very unexpected.

Anyone buying it, please note NOT to use the 2.00++ shader setting.

On a 3500 64 and a 6800gt golden sample, I was getting jerky visuals at 800x600. Dropping to the 2.0 shader gets 60+ fps in 1280 with fukll antistropic filtering.

Good stuff.

On a side note, am I the only one who reads "Xzibit" and the brain thinks "biscuit" and not "exhibit". weird.
Tue 21/12/04 at 08:55
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Potty mouthed, extremely violent and damn good fun. Vin Desil even manages to create a likeable character. Graphics are very similar to doom3 (Plastic people, which seems to be an opengl normal mapping problem) but without the flash lighting.

Nice introductory tutorial too. Very unexpected.

Anyone buying it, please note NOT to use the 2.00++ shader setting.

On a 3500 64 and a 6800gt golden sample, I was getting jerky visuals at 800x600. Dropping to the 2.0 shader gets 60+ fps in 1280 with fukll antistropic filtering.

Good stuff.

On a side note, am I the only one who reads "Xzibit" and the brain thinks "biscuit" and not "exhibit". weird.
Tue 21/12/04 at 11:08
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I actually like Vin Diesel after playing the game on Xbox.
Tue 21/12/04 at 14:58
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> On a side note, am I the only one who reads "Xzibit" and
> the brain thinks "biscuit" and not "exhibit".
> weird.

I read it as ex-e-bit, a stupid name, but a decent voice over effort.

The game actually manages to be far better than the movie, a $100million dollar production that just barely scrapped through at the box office. Says allot about gaming, Butcher Bay didn't have half of that budget, got rave reviews and sold so many copies that it's getting a sequel before the movies it‘s based on.

Too short though, and not allot to go back to once it's completed. Good while it lasts though.
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:06
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
cipro wrote:
> Too short though, and not allot to go back to once it's completed.
> Good while it lasts though.

Looking forward to the developers commentary to be honest.
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:42
Regular
Cycloon wrote:
> I actually like Vin Diesel after playing the game on Xbox.

Heh! Same.

Best Xbox game and behind Half-life 2 my favourite game of the year.
Wed 22/12/04 at 00:41
Regular
One of my favourites for sure, the knife fights are particularly entertaining.
Wed 22/12/04 at 00:49
Regular
"accidental superher"
i liked it but yeah it was a bit short really
Wed 22/12/04 at 08:34
Regular
"Captain to you."
I liked it, i'd say i was entertained for most of the game more so than most of HL2. Towards the end of the game i got a bit annouyed it started to feel like a console game when the rest of it was pretty nice and PC-esc.
Wed 22/12/04 at 15:54
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> cipro wrote:
> Too short though, and not allot to go back to once it's completed.
> Good while it lasts though.
>
> Looking forward to the developers commentary to be honest.

Darn, I forgot about that, I was going to listen to it but have since taken the game off my PC to make room for newer releases.

The hand to hand combat system was implemented quite well to say such a mechanism hasn't quite left an impression in the past. Will be interesting to see if next years F.E.A.R. can better it seeing as it's promising the same style of fighting.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.