GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Linux"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/11/04 at 12:23
Regular
"NULL"
I'm seriously contemplating moving to Linux for several reasons.

1) The 64-bit version of Mandrake Linux is out now so I can take advantage of this.
2) I would still keep Windows XP installed so I can use that if I need to.
3) WineX can emulate most programs that don't have a linux port as far as I can tell - e.g. Macromedia Studio MX??
4) It's free and legally so....

I'm thinking of using Mandrake 64-bit. Can anyone give me any advice on what to expect, hints, tips, etc?
Mon 29/11/04 at 06:02
gamesfreak wrote:

> It's different as well and I'd highly reccomend it if you are
> thinking of doing programming or doing some form of Computer Science
> at college or university.

I don't. You actually waste more time setting it up and stuff than if you ignored it altogether.
Sun 28/11/04 at 20:23
Regular
Nimco wrote:
> What's better about Linux?

Depends really.

Linux is more powerful in terms of what you can do with your system. You can tweak everything within it.

It's different as well and I'd highly reccomend it if you are thinking of doing programming or doing some form of Computer Science at college or university.

Oh and one more thing: It's free :-)
Sun 28/11/04 at 19:19
Regular
"NULL"
This may sound like a stupid question, but what are the actual advantages of Linux over Win XP? I know my way around Windows and it does everything I need it to. What's better about Linux?
Sun 28/11/04 at 17:32
Regular
Nimco wrote:
> 1) The 64-bit version of Mandrake Linux is out now so I can take
> advantage of this.

The 64bit version of Gentoo Linux is out aswell.

> 3) WineX can emulate most programs that don't have a linux port as
> far as I can tell - e.g. Macromedia Studio MX??

You can purchase *cough* acquire a package called Crossover Office which is a subset of wine but with a few extra's, it'll alow you to install Office as well as a few other things (Photoshop, Macromedia etc)

> I'm thinking of using Mandrake 64-bit. Can anyone give me any advice
> on what to expect, hints, tips, etc?

Mandrake is boring.

(This is my opinion of it anyway) - It's too much like Windows, you just put the disc in and it installs - But there again people like that.

I suggest learning a few simple bash commands and understand the terminal. If you need any program reccomendations, feel free to ask.
Sun 28/11/04 at 15:13
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Winex maybe able to emulate environments for the programs to run in but it is slower for obvious reasons.
I would recommend you partition your hard drives yourself and give an exact amount of space to it so you know how big it is. The installers for Linux often mark drive letters differently from windows (which I found out when someone I know destroyed his windows installation).
Sun 28/11/04 at 12:23
Regular
"NULL"
I'm seriously contemplating moving to Linux for several reasons.

1) The 64-bit version of Mandrake Linux is out now so I can take advantage of this.
2) I would still keep Windows XP installed so I can use that if I need to.
3) WineX can emulate most programs that don't have a linux port as far as I can tell - e.g. Macromedia Studio MX??
4) It's free and legally so....

I'm thinking of using Mandrake 64-bit. Can anyone give me any advice on what to expect, hints, tips, etc?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.