GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Red Hat problem"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/11/04 at 19:54
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
Ok i must be really dumb and missing something obvious but when trying to install my dlink gwl-520+ wireless card on red had linux it wouldnt recognise it, no probs, went on windows, put the driver on a floppy, now how the hell do i get to the floppy disc, i cant see a way at all! Help!
Mon 29/11/04 at 19:05
Regular
lcarus wrote:
> How can it be more advanced operating system if they're both the
> same? The differences in distros are in how it is presented to you
> (graphics) and variations in some files. The mass core is the same,
> nothing is less "advanced"; the only limitation is what
> you're willing to learn, but your choice of distro rarely affects
> that.

Maybe I phrased myself wrong.

By 'advanced distro' I meant how you install it and what you need to do to getting a machine properly running.

Yes the 'core' linux kernel and features are there in every distro.

But you've got to admit.

Installing Mandrake is easy. You put the disc in, tick some boxes and click a button, watch the progress bar for a few minutes then boot into your new system.

Once you're in, if you have limited knowledge of UNIX/LINUX you are pretty much screwed in terms of understanding what to do. Yes you might have a nice KDE desktop filled to the brim with features, and nice Mandrake customised control systems, but do you know that you have to mount stuff before you can access them? Whats the difference between user and root? Why not just stay logged in as root? Where can I get ? Why do RPM's need loads of dependancys? Where can I open a terminal? How can I compile something from source? Where is internet explorer? Why can't I read CD's? Where is my Sound?

Mandrake try's to give the user Windows under a linux kernel and it all becomes confusing when it's time to peform tasks you usually would in Windows.

With an installation like Gentoo or Debian, you get 'weened' onto a linux enviroment through the install process. On both you are teached how to use their package managers (Portage and Apt-Get) and most basic bash commands are covered, giving you a stepping stone into understanding your system post-install.
Mon 29/11/04 at 06:05
gamesfreak wrote:

>
> This happened to me in my early Linux days, I installed Mandrake and
> got confused after the installation because I didn't know what to do
> from there.
>
> Installing a more advanced operating system kind of weens you into a
> linux enviroment.

How can it be more advanced operating system if they're both the same? The differences in distros are in how it is presented to you (graphics) and variations in some files. The mass core is the same, nothing is less "advanced"; the only limitation is what you're willing to learn, but your choice of distro rarely affects that.
Sun 28/11/04 at 21:23
Regular
Not really.

You're only confused because RedHat doesn't teach you anything.

You install it fine and everything, but from there you have no idea what to do. You don't know any linux commands, you don't know how to mount anything, you don't even know how to su into root!

This happened to me in my early Linux days, I installed Mandrake and got confused after the installation because I didn't know what to do from there.

Installing a more advanced operating system kind of weens you into a linux enviroment.
Sun 28/11/04 at 21:15
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
but the problem with red hat is that its more confusing, surley more advanced stuff would be worse?
Sun 28/11/04 at 17:46
Regular
Or - Go for a more "hardcore" style distribution like me and (I think Turbonutter).

I use Gentoo Linux, it's an operating system in which you compile everything from source, you set compile operations and you learn loads of stuff throughout the installation process. Nothing is hidden from you, and the user community is great.
[URL]http://www.gentoo.org[/URL]

Turbonutter uses Debian I think, similar to Gentoo in a way, except the compiling thing.
[URL]http://www.debian.org[/URL]

Then there is FreeBSD [URL]http://freebsd.org[/URL] etc

Mandrake/RedHat are just Windows clones, they hardly teach you anything about Linux, and it usually leads to frustration.
Sun 28/11/04 at 17:40
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
yeah i might just stick to windows, the only problem is the cost and instablitity
Sun 28/11/04 at 17:34
Regular
.exe files are Windows executables.

You might have to find proper graphics drivers for your card before you can change the refresh rate.

This is why I hate Red Hat/Mandrake etc - once you've installed you have no idea of what to do from then on.
Sun 28/11/04 at 14:33
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
ah this si so frustrating, ive got into the floppy, thanks for that help, but now what do I do??? Does linux not run .exe files? Oh yeah and this is painful, where do you change the refresh rate? Ive checked in display stuff but its not there
Sun 28/11/04 at 12:17
Regular
What if he hasn't got a /mnt/floppy folder - eh, EH?

I needed him to check his /dev/ folder because some devices are given rubbish names like /dev/floppy/fd0 or /dev/fd0

mkdir /mnt/floppy
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
cd /mnt/floppy
Sun 28/11/04 at 09:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You guys SUCK.

You need to find out if RH automounts the floppy. Place the floppy in the drive and look in /mnt/floppy, either with the graphical explorer, or by runnning "ls /mnt/floppy" in a terminal.

If there's nothing there, you need to mount the floppy. Do this by running, in the terminal:

"mount /dev/fd0 /floppy"

You need to be root to do this. Alternatively, there's probably an option in the "disks" section of redhat's control panel.

Now you should be able to read your files.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.