GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 novice need some help"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/12/04 at 16:13
Regular
"its all good"
Hello I am one of those sad people that has just purchased a PS2
recently I bought Final Fantasy vii off an American website I know its a PS1 game but the PS2 is backwards compatable.
Anyway it comes up with an error when I try to run it asking for a format disk or something like that I cant remember exactly what it said
My question is will American PS2 games run on a european PS2 machine or are games area specific anyway thanks in your help in advance and if this is a stuipid question my apoligies(also for spelling mistakes)
Wed 29/12/04 at 23:07
Regular
Didn't see it mentioned below, so I thought I'd add that we are Region 2 for things like DVDs, where as America are Region 1, so if you order DVDs, the same rules apply. To play region 1 DVDs, you can buy a region x kit, to get rid of the restrictions (also gets rid of the "green screen" when using an RGB cable), but I am unaware of any similar remedy that can be used for the gaming side, other than getting all Jack Sparrow about things.
Wed 29/12/04 at 22:23
"High polygon count"
PAL/NTSC has nothing at all to do with it - if your TV isn't NTSC compatible, you can buy adapters.

The issue is that games are regionally coded, much like DVDs - but there are fewer regions. When you 'chip' the machine, it basically over-rides the regional coding.

But regardless, as US game will not function on an un-modified console.
Wed 29/12/04 at 20:51
Regular
"The definitive tag"
American games will not run on European PS2's. We have PAL format and America has NTSC.
Wed 22/12/04 at 18:59
Regular
"-_-"
hmm i dunno i DEFINATELY know that it is regions for DVD's. Thnk its the same for games.
PAL and NTSC are related to it though, jap has NTSC as well but is in a nother region if i can remmeber correctly..
Wed 22/12/04 at 18:36
Regular
"\\"
They don't have numbers. It's PAL (Europe), NTSC (America)... and... erm... JAP? I don't know what it's called for Japan. :P
Wed 22/12/04 at 18:33
Regular
"-_-"
theres 3 regions. no idea which area has eachj number. But Uk is in one of em...US in another and japan in another...
Wed 22/12/04 at 16:26
Regular
"xbox-nation.o-wh.co"
American games will not run on a European console and the other way round.
Wed 22/12/04 at 16:13
Regular
"its all good"
Hello I am one of those sad people that has just purchased a PS2
recently I bought Final Fantasy vii off an American website I know its a PS1 game but the PS2 is backwards compatable.
Anyway it comes up with an error when I try to run it asking for a format disk or something like that I cant remember exactly what it said
My question is will American PS2 games run on a european PS2 machine or are games area specific anyway thanks in your help in advance and if this is a stuipid question my apoligies(also for spelling mistakes)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.