GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where now for the VCR? … Is the VCR Dead and Buried?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/05/01 at 22:39
Regular
I don’t think anyone will deny that the Video Cassette Recorder has had a good innings…

They’ve been stuck under the tellies in people homes for 20 years… and have been floating around studios, production companies for at least another ten.

And given the move to Digital over analogue broadcasting, a change of format was long over due.

And although there have been suitable enhancements in Video Cassette technology to provide superior picture quality, the fact is that cassette recording was too limiting for interactivity, control over film play, etc…

DVD provides a fine replacement to videocassettes. Although alike the cassettes, the DVD has been around for a while before it was released for general public consumption. Long enough for a name change, long enough for marketing changes, long enough for it to be updated, and long enough for it to be superseded by newer technology.

However, as the technology adopted by both the Hollywood production studios and the electronics manufacturers, it is not only the video distribution method of the present, but that of the foreseeable future too.

What does this mean for the humble VCR? Although still remaining a favourite by many homes in the country, rather like Sony’s Playstation 1 is still largely played around the UK. Its days are most definitely numbered. Support for DVD is continually growing.

With some DVD, home purchase releases available months before the VCR. Video Rental and retail shops allowing DVDs to tae up more and more of the space previously allocated to Video Cassettes. And most Internet e-tailors not selling videocassettes at all.

In fact, it seems the only strength of the Video Cassette recorder over the DVD player is its ability to record. And even with this well-established and remarkably useful addition, it would seem the videocassettes days are most definitely numbered.

I think is pretty obvious that purchasing Video Cassettes is pretty much the same as throwing your money down the drain, and that purchasing DVD’s are the only valid option, I am curious…

Are we now really in the Eplilog of the video recorders 50’s cop show life analogy?

Are video recorders and videocassettes precariously balancing on the cliff edge of irreverence and antiquity?

In five years will kids make you all feel old by asking what a video cassette is?

Does it really matter? Is the loss of the VCR actually a good thing? And is it about time?

Where now for DVD? … How will it evolve over the next few years?
Mon 14/05/01 at 13:28
Regular
"Back For Good"
When VCD was hanging around i thought great videos on disc, no more rewinding and slightly better quality,for some reason vcd failed to take over,mainly because you could hardly fit a film on one disc and the quality was just slightly higher than vhs.

When DVD hit the shelves i thought yeah the little section in the corner will die out soon just like VCD.but DVD quality is amazing and supports 5:1 digital sound,angle,subtitles,ratio and lots of extras and it has taken over big time and the prices used to be £20 minimum,now you can get them from £5.99 +

I think VHS will be around for a while longer until we have recordable DVD which will completly distroy VHS.i've got so many videos which are unavailible on DVD but until i can copy them onto DVD i'll keep my video player.
Fri 11/05/01 at 22:39
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I don’t think anyone will deny that the Video Cassette Recorder has had a good innings…

They’ve been stuck under the tellies in people homes for 20 years… and have been floating around studios, production companies for at least another ten.

And given the move to Digital over analogue broadcasting, a change of format was long over due.

And although there have been suitable enhancements in Video Cassette technology to provide superior picture quality, the fact is that cassette recording was too limiting for interactivity, control over film play, etc…

DVD provides a fine replacement to videocassettes. Although alike the cassettes, the DVD has been around for a while before it was released for general public consumption. Long enough for a name change, long enough for marketing changes, long enough for it to be updated, and long enough for it to be superseded by newer technology.

However, as the technology adopted by both the Hollywood production studios and the electronics manufacturers, it is not only the video distribution method of the present, but that of the foreseeable future too.

What does this mean for the humble VCR? Although still remaining a favourite by many homes in the country, rather like Sony’s Playstation 1 is still largely played around the UK. Its days are most definitely numbered. Support for DVD is continually growing.

With some DVD, home purchase releases available months before the VCR. Video Rental and retail shops allowing DVDs to tae up more and more of the space previously allocated to Video Cassettes. And most Internet e-tailors not selling videocassettes at all.

In fact, it seems the only strength of the Video Cassette recorder over the DVD player is its ability to record. And even with this well-established and remarkably useful addition, it would seem the videocassettes days are most definitely numbered.

I think is pretty obvious that purchasing Video Cassettes is pretty much the same as throwing your money down the drain, and that purchasing DVD’s are the only valid option, I am curious…

Are we now really in the Eplilog of the video recorders 50’s cop show life analogy?

Are video recorders and videocassettes precariously balancing on the cliff edge of irreverence and antiquity?

In five years will kids make you all feel old by asking what a video cassette is?

Does it really matter? Is the loss of the VCR actually a good thing? And is it about time?

Where now for DVD? … How will it evolve over the next few years?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.