GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half life 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Thu 23/12/04 at 15:49
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
New PC should be put together and finished today so I'm now thinking its time to buy Half-Life 2.

Just wondering if its worth going out to a shop to buy it or whether its easier just to download it from steam. Steam version seems a bit cheaper and means I don't have to head into town which will be full of christmas shoppers.

Then again the steam version dosn't come with a disk, box etc. But I never really cared much for the box contents...

Anyone else downloaded it from steam and wished they hadn't?

Cheers
Fri 24/12/04 at 21:32
Regular
"Unretired"
AliBoy wrote:
> give it a quick game.

I'm willing to bet money that your first encounter with HL2 will not be a "quick game" :)
Fri 24/12/04 at 16:45
Regular
"\\"
AliBoy wrote:
> Just waiting for HL2 to download then hopefully give it a quick game.

Just watch as your Christmas day gets sucked into just playing on Half Life 2 :)
Fri 24/12/04 at 14:42
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Seems my dad is more excited to play it than I am.

Not only has he stumped up the cash to pay for the download via steam but he's decided he wants the silver package so he can play some of the older games too.
Top stuff.

Just waiting for HL2 to download then hopefully give it a quick game.
Thu 23/12/04 at 19:05
Regular
"Unretired"
I got the DVD version, and the only extras you'll get from the DVD version is the box art and the disk, since there is no manual.

But anyway, prepare to be amazed. HL2 blew me away (I havnt completed it yet, for fear of withdrawal symptoms)
Thu 23/12/04 at 17:35
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Thanks.
Once I get the PC set up properly I'll probably just download it from steam.

Look forward to playing it.
Thu 23/12/04 at 17:03
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
cipro wrote:
> Probably an overnight fare. It's not a massive file, but Steam does
> get allot of traffic (which lead to the many problems some people had
> on the launch).

Steam isn't. It's a 600k client that expands to 24mb. Half Life 2 on the other hand is a 3 1/2 gig monstrosity.
Thu 23/12/04 at 16:17
Regular
I can't get onto any Steam game ATM. Pishing me off too, seeing as Azul and Creepy are on...
Thu 23/12/04 at 16:15
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Probably an overnight fare. It's not a massive file, but Steam does get allot of traffic (which lead to the many problems some people had on the launch).
Thu 23/12/04 at 15:59
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
How long is it likely to take to download?

Are we talking overnight or days?

I've got 600Kb broadband
Thu 23/12/04 at 15:57
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I got it off Steam and didn't suffer the difficulties that those who bought from the shops did. Just got up, signed in, downloaded a small file and was away. Lack of box, manual or disc really don't bother me, as this means no fiddling about putting a disc in every time I want to play, or having to make room for a bulky box.

The trouble however is that you'll have to download the game, which does take a long time. I didn't have that problem as I already downloaded it before it's release.

I'd say go Steam, if not for the convenience then for the ease of use as you'll have to use Steam anyway regardless of which version you buy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.