GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which is more important, the cache or clock speed of a P4?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/11/04 at 19:56
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

Where Pentium 4s are concerned, is it better to go for one with a large cache but slightly lower clock speed than others around, or should I just get the fastest P4 and not bother about a low cache? In particular I'm thinking about '3.2GHz - 1MB cache' and a '3.4GHz - 512k cache'.
Wed 24/11/04 at 08:31
Regular
Heh!

That will be in the same auction along with my limbs, liver and spinal column... and of course my reserved season ticket at St. James' ;)
Wed 24/11/04 at 08:31
Regular
Heh!

That will be in the same auction along with my limbs, liver and spinal column... and of course my reserved season ticket at St. James ;)
Tue 23/11/04 at 21:14
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Get an AMD 64, preferably an FX ;)

*Splutters*

Though if you ever think of selling your kit give me a shout.
Tue 23/11/04 at 20:48
Regular
Don't get a Prescott!

First hand experience of the 3.4 1MB cache, crap over clocking CPU, red hot core, poor performance due to the Intel cooling technology which slows the clock speed down the hotter it gets.

Get an AMD 64, preferably an FX ;)
Mon 22/11/04 at 23:06
"I love yo... lamp."
Clock speed is to do with how fast the processor runs. A 3GHz processor is faster than a 2 GHz.

Cache memory is a tiny amount of memory that is part of the processor and runs at very high speed. The more the better.

The important thing to consider here is that the 3.4 GHz processor with 512 KB cache is a Northwood core, the 3.2 GHz, 1 MB cache processor is a Prescott core.

Unless you actually plan to overclock and have good cooling, the Northwood will destroy the Prescott. Prescott is just a bad CPU design. Clock for clock they run slower than a Northwood in most things. The extra cache doesn't make up for the longer pipeline. And yes, I am aware that makes little sense to most of you.

But yeah, I'd go for the Northwood, if I was getting an Intel processor. But I'd be going with an Athlon 64 anyway, so it is an academic arguement.
Mon 22/11/04 at 22:37
Regular
"Bicycle"
What exactly are clock speeds and the cache?

I assume clock speeds are how fast the proccessor is at retrieving info - as in how many clock cycles etc - and the size of the cache... I have no clue.
Mon 22/11/04 at 22:32
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
So would i, im guessing you would have to pay a premium for that 3.4 as well, go for the 3.2 and overclock it.
Mon 22/11/04 at 20:59
I'd go with the bigger cache.
Mon 22/11/04 at 19:56
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

Where Pentium 4s are concerned, is it better to go for one with a large cache but slightly lower clock speed than others around, or should I just get the fastest P4 and not bother about a low cache? In particular I'm thinking about '3.2GHz - 1MB cache' and a '3.4GHz - 512k cache'.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.