GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] The Beatles Rock Band (Value Edition)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Beatles: Rock Band'.
Mon 05/10/09 at 12:40
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Dear All, here is my first slash at a game review, I hope you find it either readable or useful.
JTD

You know how it is, you’ve been a Beatles fan as long as you can remember, you’ve been a big kid for more years than you care to recall, you find yourself walking past a GAME store whose window is full of The Beatles Rock Band and you feel you have a distinct lack of something really heavy to carry back to the car.

10 minutes later you find yourself lugging a huge box through a crowded shopping centre, grinning like a ten year old at Christmas and wishing you were already home.

The Beatles Rock Band (Value Edition) contains everything you need to become the fifth, sixth and seventh Beatle – with the added on possibility, after splashing a little extra cash, of allowing your mates to become the eight, ninth and tenth Beatle. Does life get any better than that? No, no it doesn’t.

Upon opening the box you get the immediate feeling that this is a quality product. The guitar is a wireless Fender Stratocaster with finger pads at the top and the bottom of the fret board, a strum bar and whammy bar for those big points solos.

The Drum kit connects by cable to a 4 port USB device (provided) and comprises four rubberised drum pads, two wooden drumsticks (with rubber tips) and a base foot pedal. The whole lot sits sturdily on an aluminium constructed stand, which so far has stood up to some fairly rigorous drumming. Badoom tssssh.

The microphone could easily have been a cheap plastic affair but this is not the case. The logitech USB microphone is metallic and feels weighty but comfortable in the hand.

On to the game. The first really cool thing I, as a first time RockBand/Guitar Hero player, found was the whole BeatlesRB menu can be controlled individually by each of the instruments. The guitar and drums each have their own built in Wii controller buttons but both also control the menus by use of pressing the finger pads or hitting the drum. The microphone is controlled by the Wiimote but you only need one regardless of how many microphones you have plugged in – neat touch. With each of the instruments having their own confirmation sound you can actually get up a decent tune by playing the menus.

On the subject of Menu’s, the navigation around the game using the instruments is very intuitive. The game style is of a toned down flower power era, very 60’s but not gaudy. Cut-shots between chapters are tastefully done and usually accompanied by Beatles era relevant song snippets and animated link sequences.

Once you’ve stopped playing the menus you can either dive straight into playing one of the 45 songs available or you can take on one of the graduated training courses.

Training: Each instrument has its own ‘recording studio’ driven training course taking you though the basics of the instrument before leading you on to more advanced techniques. You also learn how to trigger Beatlemania (but more on that later).

The game play itself is relatively simple. Choose an instrument (or instruments), choose a song, choose the difficulty level (easy, medium, hard or expert), grow your hair, practice your oooooooo’s then become a Beatle.

Even I as a RockBand virgin picked up the playing notation of colours representing finger pads and drum pads fairly quickly but in BeatleRB there is also a Beatlemania element whereby if you play sufficiently well for a prolonged period of each song you can trigger Beatlemania which will either increase your score multipliers or in the event of one of your band members not performing well enough, you can use your new found Beatle powers to rescue him. After all 1000’s of screaming Beatle fans will forgive the odd duff note if you’re strutting your stuff well.

The Quickplay option allows you to choose any song you like from the song list whereas the Story option leads you, song by song, along the Beatles career path.

The Beatles Story is divided up into Chapters, with each chapter containing a preset song list of between four to seven tracks. Before you start each song you see an instrument split difficulty level to help you decide which level of difficulty you want to tackle it on. Your performance on each song is rated up to 5 stars, with your target of achieving a three star standard on each song to progress to the next chapter. As well as unlocking the next chapter in the Beatles story, performing fairly well on a song will unlock one rare photo, whereas a five star performance will unlock two rare photographs. Every 20 photographs will unlock rare and previously unseen video footage or audio tracks.

The early years at the Cavern and on to the Ed Sullivan show start at a fairly gentle pace but by the time you reach Shea Stadium and onto the Abbey Road sessions you realise you need fairly nimble fingers to get 100% lead licks (as I write this I have the lead solo of Something wandering through my mind in a never ending loop), the drumming patterns become more sophisticated and the voice levels are more demanding – and that’s only on the medium level.

During the performance of the songs the background is filled with what Harmonix call dreamscapes (apparently) which are animated interpretations of the song being performed. It wasn’t until I watched someone else playing the game I realised how much effort had been put into creating a total Beatle experience through the entire game.

As you progress through the story you hear snippets of unheard Abbey Road outtakes and you unlock rare footage of Beatle film clips and other recording. All gold dust to Beatle people.

Playing on your own is great fun but playing with other band members is something else. Relying on your band mates to reach the standard required and getting those band synchronous bonuses makes you feel part of a real band. I know, I know, that is sad but it is also true.

A handy feature of the game is the ability to switch on a ‘no-fail’ mode which prevent a song from failing simply because one of your band members (or you – (as if..)) are having a bad day.

There is an online play option with the game but at the time of writing this I have yet to venture into that world.

…and the bad bits: Being a lifelong Beatle fan and long time guitar player I expected this to fall well short of expectations but it didn’t. Perhaps the only let down for me is the lack of unlockable songs and limited studio clips – after a few plays you begin to hear the same clips again and again – however this is merely a minor annoyance, if that. You would think 45 songs was enough to be getting on with for now, and there is an option to buy more songs from a currently empty on line option, but there are hundreds of Beatle tracks I’d like to have a crack at – but there again perhaps that’s just me being greedy for more. Having said all of that I have only just managed to 5 star all songs on medium – I suspect moving up to the Hard level will bring a whole new challenge to my RockBand guitar skills.

With me having more money than sense it is a shame the Hoffner Bass, Rickenbacker, Gretch and Gibson guitars can’t be bought separately yet. The BeatlesRB (Limited Edition) can be bought with the Rickenbacker and Hoffner along with a Beatles bass drum skin can be bought as a pack but I’m not sure the extra £60 odd quid is worth it.

I have read reports of people finishing the game on expert in a couple of hours but I suggest this can only be done by seasoned Guitar Hero pro's. For a regular Joe like me it'll be a long, long, long time.. before I get to that stage.

If you’re a Beatles fan and you into this sort of game then this is a must.

…and I say, It’s alright, red, green, red, green, yellow - and hold it – green, red, yellow, bluuuuueee, whammy……..

Presentation: Sexie Sadie
Gameplay: I've got blisters on my fingers....
Sound: yeah yeah yeah yeaaaaaaaaaaah
Logevity: when I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide….

JTD
Mon 05/10/09 at 16:02
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
According to RockBand she does - but then again the game also thinks my playing sounds like George Harrison, which we all know is considerably wide of the mark.
Mon 05/10/09 at 14:31
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Blimey. Does she sound like a Beatle then? 0_o
Mon 05/10/09 at 14:23
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Mrs JTD is also a Beatle fan - in fact we met at a Beatle quiz in Durham almost 23 years ago this week - she has an excellent singing voice and the first thing she did was ramp up the singing difficulty to expert and started hitting 99-100%'s straight away. Some people are just show-offs.
Mon 05/10/09 at 13:37
"possibly impossible"
Nice review.

I agree, it's a great game. I was lucky enough to have the instruments from a previous Rockband and the game courtesy of Freeola! It's a great game to just sing along to as well, rather than playing the other instruments (although my family have had to put up with the noise!).

Love the unlockable Christmas message single the band released.
Mon 05/10/09 at 12:46
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Well done. I must say it covers everything I wanted to know. Even though I'm not a massive fan of the guitar sims.
Mon 05/10/09 at 12:40
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Dear All, here is my first slash at a game review, I hope you find it either readable or useful.
JTD

You know how it is, you’ve been a Beatles fan as long as you can remember, you’ve been a big kid for more years than you care to recall, you find yourself walking past a GAME store whose window is full of The Beatles Rock Band and you feel you have a distinct lack of something really heavy to carry back to the car.

10 minutes later you find yourself lugging a huge box through a crowded shopping centre, grinning like a ten year old at Christmas and wishing you were already home.

The Beatles Rock Band (Value Edition) contains everything you need to become the fifth, sixth and seventh Beatle – with the added on possibility, after splashing a little extra cash, of allowing your mates to become the eight, ninth and tenth Beatle. Does life get any better than that? No, no it doesn’t.

Upon opening the box you get the immediate feeling that this is a quality product. The guitar is a wireless Fender Stratocaster with finger pads at the top and the bottom of the fret board, a strum bar and whammy bar for those big points solos.

The Drum kit connects by cable to a 4 port USB device (provided) and comprises four rubberised drum pads, two wooden drumsticks (with rubber tips) and a base foot pedal. The whole lot sits sturdily on an aluminium constructed stand, which so far has stood up to some fairly rigorous drumming. Badoom tssssh.

The microphone could easily have been a cheap plastic affair but this is not the case. The logitech USB microphone is metallic and feels weighty but comfortable in the hand.

On to the game. The first really cool thing I, as a first time RockBand/Guitar Hero player, found was the whole BeatlesRB menu can be controlled individually by each of the instruments. The guitar and drums each have their own built in Wii controller buttons but both also control the menus by use of pressing the finger pads or hitting the drum. The microphone is controlled by the Wiimote but you only need one regardless of how many microphones you have plugged in – neat touch. With each of the instruments having their own confirmation sound you can actually get up a decent tune by playing the menus.

On the subject of Menu’s, the navigation around the game using the instruments is very intuitive. The game style is of a toned down flower power era, very 60’s but not gaudy. Cut-shots between chapters are tastefully done and usually accompanied by Beatles era relevant song snippets and animated link sequences.

Once you’ve stopped playing the menus you can either dive straight into playing one of the 45 songs available or you can take on one of the graduated training courses.

Training: Each instrument has its own ‘recording studio’ driven training course taking you though the basics of the instrument before leading you on to more advanced techniques. You also learn how to trigger Beatlemania (but more on that later).

The game play itself is relatively simple. Choose an instrument (or instruments), choose a song, choose the difficulty level (easy, medium, hard or expert), grow your hair, practice your oooooooo’s then become a Beatle.

Even I as a RockBand virgin picked up the playing notation of colours representing finger pads and drum pads fairly quickly but in BeatleRB there is also a Beatlemania element whereby if you play sufficiently well for a prolonged period of each song you can trigger Beatlemania which will either increase your score multipliers or in the event of one of your band members not performing well enough, you can use your new found Beatle powers to rescue him. After all 1000’s of screaming Beatle fans will forgive the odd duff note if you’re strutting your stuff well.

The Quickplay option allows you to choose any song you like from the song list whereas the Story option leads you, song by song, along the Beatles career path.

The Beatles Story is divided up into Chapters, with each chapter containing a preset song list of between four to seven tracks. Before you start each song you see an instrument split difficulty level to help you decide which level of difficulty you want to tackle it on. Your performance on each song is rated up to 5 stars, with your target of achieving a three star standard on each song to progress to the next chapter. As well as unlocking the next chapter in the Beatles story, performing fairly well on a song will unlock one rare photo, whereas a five star performance will unlock two rare photographs. Every 20 photographs will unlock rare and previously unseen video footage or audio tracks.

The early years at the Cavern and on to the Ed Sullivan show start at a fairly gentle pace but by the time you reach Shea Stadium and onto the Abbey Road sessions you realise you need fairly nimble fingers to get 100% lead licks (as I write this I have the lead solo of Something wandering through my mind in a never ending loop), the drumming patterns become more sophisticated and the voice levels are more demanding – and that’s only on the medium level.

During the performance of the songs the background is filled with what Harmonix call dreamscapes (apparently) which are animated interpretations of the song being performed. It wasn’t until I watched someone else playing the game I realised how much effort had been put into creating a total Beatle experience through the entire game.

As you progress through the story you hear snippets of unheard Abbey Road outtakes and you unlock rare footage of Beatle film clips and other recording. All gold dust to Beatle people.

Playing on your own is great fun but playing with other band members is something else. Relying on your band mates to reach the standard required and getting those band synchronous bonuses makes you feel part of a real band. I know, I know, that is sad but it is also true.

A handy feature of the game is the ability to switch on a ‘no-fail’ mode which prevent a song from failing simply because one of your band members (or you – (as if..)) are having a bad day.

There is an online play option with the game but at the time of writing this I have yet to venture into that world.

…and the bad bits: Being a lifelong Beatle fan and long time guitar player I expected this to fall well short of expectations but it didn’t. Perhaps the only let down for me is the lack of unlockable songs and limited studio clips – after a few plays you begin to hear the same clips again and again – however this is merely a minor annoyance, if that. You would think 45 songs was enough to be getting on with for now, and there is an option to buy more songs from a currently empty on line option, but there are hundreds of Beatle tracks I’d like to have a crack at – but there again perhaps that’s just me being greedy for more. Having said all of that I have only just managed to 5 star all songs on medium – I suspect moving up to the Hard level will bring a whole new challenge to my RockBand guitar skills.

With me having more money than sense it is a shame the Hoffner Bass, Rickenbacker, Gretch and Gibson guitars can’t be bought separately yet. The BeatlesRB (Limited Edition) can be bought with the Rickenbacker and Hoffner along with a Beatles bass drum skin can be bought as a pack but I’m not sure the extra £60 odd quid is worth it.

I have read reports of people finishing the game on expert in a couple of hours but I suggest this can only be done by seasoned Guitar Hero pro's. For a regular Joe like me it'll be a long, long, long time.. before I get to that stage.

If you’re a Beatles fan and you into this sort of game then this is a must.

…and I say, It’s alright, red, green, red, green, yellow - and hold it – green, red, yellow, bluuuuueee, whammy……..

Presentation: Sexie Sadie
Gameplay: I've got blisters on my fingers....
Sound: yeah yeah yeah yeaaaaaaaaaaah
Logevity: when I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide….

JTD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.