GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why I think the most important new console is the XBox."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/05/01 at 19:45
Regular
Lets face it, if Sony hadn't released the PlayStation we'd probably still have Sega as a hardware manufacturer. To use an often used expression: Sony came in and bought the video games market.

Now here comes Microsoft with enough money to try and do the same thing, or at least buy a big share of it. The way I see it the Xbox is either going to be really successful or fail miserably - I can't see there being much middle ground between the two.

Suppose it succeeds. Then both Sony and Microsoft will have used their massive bank accounts to their advantage in buying their share of one of the most profitable markets in the world. In doing so it may, as Sony did, crush a long-standing member of the opposition (Nintendo), forcing them to become a software only company (I wont go into the pros and cons of that, I'm sure someone already has at some point anyway). There is a danger that the Xbox's success may encourage any company with any sort of connection to this market (and enough money) to have a go and develop a console of their own. Some have already tried and decided it's not for them after all fairly early on in the development but how many companies out their are too stubborn to admit they were wrong and carry on anyway?

There are those that argue that a one-machine market would be a bad thing but what about the other end of the scale - how many different systems can it support at once? How many is too many? I'm not going to say why I think a one system market would be a good thing. Just read page 481 on C4 (Digitiser) before the end of the day and you'll find a very similar opinion to mine (written by a fat pig rather that a cooked fish).

On the other hand suppose the XBox fails. A lesson will be learned by any other companies with enough money to attempt the same thing and may convince them that the video games market isn't ready or willing to accept their contribution before they go all the way to releasing it before deciding it was a mistake.

Sega are out and unless the GameCube is a really big success it will probably be Nintendos last hardware contribution. This draws us to a one system market. However, this way, any competitors would make sure they know what they're doing before jumping in unprepared like Microsoft did and really give Sony something to worry about.

In short, if the Xbox is a success, it will encourage anyone with enough money to have a ago, resulting in an overcrowded market. If it fails it will show that the market is tougher to crack than people think, thereby upping the calibre of any future opposition.

No matter how much Sony does wrong people just wont stop buying PS2's. How many players will there be in the generation after the one just beginning? The next steps will be decided by Microsoft's success and their success will be decided by us.

The Xbox could be a great thing - but I think it would make the biggest contribution to the industry by having the smallest amount of success.
Fri 11/05/01 at 19:45
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Lets face it, if Sony hadn't released the PlayStation we'd probably still have Sega as a hardware manufacturer. To use an often used expression: Sony came in and bought the video games market.

Now here comes Microsoft with enough money to try and do the same thing, or at least buy a big share of it. The way I see it the Xbox is either going to be really successful or fail miserably - I can't see there being much middle ground between the two.

Suppose it succeeds. Then both Sony and Microsoft will have used their massive bank accounts to their advantage in buying their share of one of the most profitable markets in the world. In doing so it may, as Sony did, crush a long-standing member of the opposition (Nintendo), forcing them to become a software only company (I wont go into the pros and cons of that, I'm sure someone already has at some point anyway). There is a danger that the Xbox's success may encourage any company with any sort of connection to this market (and enough money) to have a go and develop a console of their own. Some have already tried and decided it's not for them after all fairly early on in the development but how many companies out their are too stubborn to admit they were wrong and carry on anyway?

There are those that argue that a one-machine market would be a bad thing but what about the other end of the scale - how many different systems can it support at once? How many is too many? I'm not going to say why I think a one system market would be a good thing. Just read page 481 on C4 (Digitiser) before the end of the day and you'll find a very similar opinion to mine (written by a fat pig rather that a cooked fish).

On the other hand suppose the XBox fails. A lesson will be learned by any other companies with enough money to attempt the same thing and may convince them that the video games market isn't ready or willing to accept their contribution before they go all the way to releasing it before deciding it was a mistake.

Sega are out and unless the GameCube is a really big success it will probably be Nintendos last hardware contribution. This draws us to a one system market. However, this way, any competitors would make sure they know what they're doing before jumping in unprepared like Microsoft did and really give Sony something to worry about.

In short, if the Xbox is a success, it will encourage anyone with enough money to have a ago, resulting in an overcrowded market. If it fails it will show that the market is tougher to crack than people think, thereby upping the calibre of any future opposition.

No matter how much Sony does wrong people just wont stop buying PS2's. How many players will there be in the generation after the one just beginning? The next steps will be decided by Microsoft's success and their success will be decided by us.

The Xbox could be a great thing - but I think it would make the biggest contribution to the industry by having the smallest amount of success.
Fri 11/05/01 at 20:08
Regular
Another console wars in the making. I didn`t give a full thorough read, but I don`t recall seeing the bit about X-box not being liked in Japan, which could basically turn the entire room let alone the table.
Fri 11/05/01 at 20:13
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Probably do well in America, okay in UK and Europe and not very well in JAPAN!
Fri 11/05/01 at 20:17
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
ssxpro wrote:
> Another console wars in the making. I didn`t give a full thorough
> read, but I don`t recall seeing the bit about X-box not being liked
> in Japan, which could basically turn the entire room let alone the
> table.

If you did give it a full read through you'd realise it's not about console wars, it's about the benefits of the XBox's failure (that should really be 'global' failure).
Fri 11/05/01 at 21:22
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
SmokedKipper wrote:

In short, if the Xbox is a success, it
> will encourage anyone with enough money to have a ago, resulting in
> an overcrowded market.

Because there are so many people with the kind of money to do that?

There has already been hundreds of millions of dollars pumped into the X-Box... and its not even released until the end of this year... reach our shores next...

Besides since Sega has become software only, the number of machines being released is the same as there were for the last set.... Sega DC/Sony PS1/Nintendo N64 ... Sony PS2/MS X-Box/Nintendo GC... If Nintendo follow Segas suit, and also become a Games Only company (not that I'm saying they are!)... then the market will be at its emptyest for over 10 years...

Also... I havnt read Digitiser... but a one system market really would be terrible idea...

:)
Fri 11/05/01 at 21:29
Regular
I think that the Fat Sow's arguement is flawed.

All a video player or CD player is read of a disk and convert it into sound. The makers of the product is only limited by their own equiptment.

In the games market though, devellopers can do more with better machines. Competition and new ideas are what bring the game industry forward.

One day it'll get to the point where machines are so powerful, devellopers won't need more power and THEN a single format machine would be a fair idea.

Until then, let's keep the industry moving forward.
Fri 11/05/01 at 21:36
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dan uk wrote:
One day it'll get to the point where machines are so
> powerful, devellopers won't need more power and THEN a single format
> machine would be a fair idea.

Not in our lifetime...

:)
Fri 11/05/01 at 21:38
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
SmokedKipper wrote:
Sega are out and unless the GameCube is a really big
> success it will probably be Nintendos last hardware contribution.
> This draws us to a one system market.

What?! Is this true?

Correct me if I’m wrong but did you say, “unless the GameCube is a really big
Success it will probably be Nintendos last hardware contribution”? In other words, if the GameCube turns out to be cr@p (which I strongly doubt, but anyway) they will not make another console?

This is an even better reason to buy a GameCube. It’s a way of showing your respect for Nintendo, if you like. Will Nintendo do a Sega then? Just make games for consoles? If this is the case, will we be sing hits like Mario on the Sony machines? I can not see this happening at all though, can you?

I would be very surprised if the GameCube will be Nintendo’s last console, because if you ask me, Nintendo actually enjoy making Computer Consoles.

I suppose there are some good points about the GameCube being there last console (if what you said is true). People who buy a GameCube will be getting their moneys worth out of it. I.E. Nintendo will continue making quality games for it, instead of making another console, making the GameCube “old news”.
Fri 11/05/01 at 21:40
Regular
Nah, if the GC is crap then screw it and get an Xbox instead.

It won't be crap though so we'll all be buying a Gamecube anyway :-)
Fri 11/05/01 at 21:50
Regular
"Randomly Appearing"
i think everyone should buy a gamecube or a ps2 just so bill gates can't use all his money the destroy the competion (eg. like he's doing to apple) and lets face it a console running on windows is actually a very bad idea considering its past record of being cr@p

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.