GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Possible overclocking?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/11/04 at 21:33
Regular
Would it be possible to overclock my AMD64 3200+ (running at 2.2MHz)
by just a bit without making any modifcations to the case (i.e. fans) without damaging anything. If you can will it actually make much of a difference? If you can, how? bearing in mind i am a dumass :-) thanks for any help.
Fri 19/11/04 at 02:17
"I love yo... lamp."
Um, clock for clock the Clawhammer is faster having more cache memory. Clawhammers don't tend to overclock quite so well as the Newcastles, which in turn don't overclock as well as Winchesters. There is no "better", it depends on the clock speed. The cache makes up for the speed differences at times.

Chad, there is no set more than 30% is bad rule. In the past there have been processors that succesfully got 100% overclocks. As long as it is cooled properly and there aren't stupid voltage levels, overclocking is safe for processors and is simply about how fast your processor will go.
Thu 18/11/04 at 22:01
Regular
"NULL"
Oh right, I've got the ClawHammer. Is the Newcastle core better then?
Thu 18/11/04 at 21:17
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
+30% speed is the total max that you should overclock to, i dont suggest pushing it that hard, but with a big fan it should be ok to over clock a bit.
When people say overclocking is bad, its only bad if you expect to keep the pc for years on end.
Thu 18/11/04 at 20:15
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Isn't there a 3200+ Winchester CPU too, can't remember if thats at 2GHz.

If you have a Winchester, they're meant to overclock nicely.
Thu 18/11/04 at 13:21
"I love yo... lamp."
No, 2.2 GHz is the native speed of the Newcastle core 3200s. They only have 512 KB cache, compared to the 2 GHz, 1 MB cache Clawhammer cores.
Thu 18/11/04 at 13:19
Regular
"NULL"
I'm assuming you mean 2.2GHz rather than MHz, and that is overclocked anyway. That CPU should natively run at 2.0GHz. I've got mine at 2.27GHz with no stability issues.
Wed 17/11/04 at 21:46
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Try it and see what difference in temperature and stability you get. If you arent happy with it, go back to the stock settings.
Wed 17/11/04 at 21:33
Regular
Would it be possible to overclock my AMD64 3200+ (running at 2.2MHz)
by just a bit without making any modifcations to the case (i.e. fans) without damaging anything. If you can will it actually make much of a difference? If you can, how? bearing in mind i am a dumass :-) thanks for any help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.