GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Hedfix Awards 2004"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/12/04 at 09:51
Regular
"8==="
The Hedfix Awards

(Not strictly based upon just this years games but I felt like doing it)

Best Firstperson shooter: Halo 2

No surprise here, absolutely sublime with plenty of modes to keep you coming back, more of the same but if it's the best then it doesn't need fixing.

Worthy mentions: Riddick:EFBB, Ghost Recon 2, Rainbow Six: Black Arrow

Best strategic game: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Nothing comes close to the sheer enjoyment that can be gained from a well played well executed bit of onlone co-op on SC:PT

Worthy mentions: Halo 2, Ghost Recon 2, Gladius, Wrath Unleashed,

Best realtime strategy game: Goblin Commander

Hmmmm slim pickings here really, the title may very well belong to Kingdom Under Fire which I have yet to play.

Best turnbased strategy game: Gladius

Having finished it originally on normal in just under 80 hours completing every battle I could I then came back 6 months later to finsh it off on the harder difficulty in under 40 hours. Interesting combat, plenty of bits and pieces to play with and customise, varied battles and characters.

Worthy mentions: Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown

Best Beat 'em up: Wrath Unleashed

The pick up and play factor is unmatched and the perfect balance of strategy and simple gameplay makes this one of the best hybrids ever made. Lucas Arts have some balls after all.

Worthy mentions: Buffy: Chaos Bleeds, Gladiator: Sword of Vengence

Most underrated game of the year: Thief 3/Deus Ex 2

Hmmmm tough one. It's a tie between Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2. Thankfully both games are expected to receive more outings in the future.

Worthy mentions: Sudeki, Gladiator: Sword of Vengence, Wrath Unleashed, Phantom Crash

Hardcore game of the year: Metal Dungeon

Has to be. Pretty much the only game on xbox requiring 'power levelling' a strange approach and and odd combat system. The visuals aren't up to much but the strange attrition gameplay and exploration make for a strangely addictive title. In some ways the combat system is similar to KOTOR except you have a much higher chance of losing your entire party and you can only save when you exit the dungeon meaning an hours worth of play can dissappear because of one too many risked encounters.

Worthy mentions: Phantom Crash, Gladius, Morrowind:GOTY

Most innovative game of the year: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Like it, loathe it: the simple fact is it deserves recognition.

Worthy mentions: Halo 2, Thief 3, The Thing, Psi Ops:TMC, Second Sight, Breakdown(?)

Biggest dissapointment of the year: Finding out a decent MMPORPG wasn't coming to the xbox any time soon.

Worthy mentions: Judge Dredd, Max Payne 2, Tenchu

Best Adventure: Deus Ex 2

Worthy mentions: Riddick:EFBB, Thief 3

Best realtime RPG: Morrowind

Worthy mentions: KOTOR, Fable, Sudeki

Best turn based RPG: Gladius

Worthy mentions: KOTOR(ish), LOTR:TTA

Best Movie-tie in: Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

A quality title from start to finish, a little on the short side but replay value is assured as various parts have multiple routes and there are different approaches to take. Playing the character of Riddick is great fun.

Worthy mentions: LOTR:TTA, The Thing

Best Hack 'n Slash: Fable

Definately snatched the title away from anything that could be considered a rival as a hack 'n slash game.

Worthy mentions: BG:DA2, D&D Heroes, Blood Rayne, Buffy: Chaos Bleeds

Most immersive game of the year: Morrowind

Too many late nights and early mornings of this year have I spent exploring the world of Morrowind.

Best Mech game: Phantom Crash

Without a doubt of best approach to Mech gaming on the xbox.

Worthy mentions: The one that costs 120 quid that I've forgotten and so have you. :P

Best Stealth game: Tied. Offline: Thief 3. Online: SC:PT

Best Racer: Burnout 3

It might've only lasted a glorious 2 weeks but it's still the most fun I've had on an xbox racer.

Shortest lifespan: Star Wars: Battlegrounds

Within 12 hours of owning it I was putting it up for sale. Stats would have saved it.

Best use of custom soundtracks: Burnout 3

If it didn't have the option I think a fair few copies might've found themselves quickly returned.

Best sports title: Death Row

Everything else would become awful after a half hour of play.

Most 'dumbed down' title of the year: Fable

Most of the extra additions lacked enough depth to really make them worth bothering with, why bother owning a house, getting a wife and trading bits of wood? Pointless options without the inclusion of any real incentive to use them.

Best story: Thief 3

Without giving anything away: this has it all.

Worthy mentions: KOTOR

Best music: Halo 2

Incubus and Hoobastank etc.

Most infuriating game: Wrath Unleashed

ARGH! Crazy evil AI from hell on the higher settings!!

Most 'old school': Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown

Plays like a CDi game, good oldschool gameplay and worth a look if you're after some cheap old style gaming.

Weirdest purchase of the year: New Legends

Bit too shallow in combat options, strange story that isn't explained very well and you can basically run through the levels rather than fight through them. Very odd but fun to play about with.
Sat 01/01/05 at 22:54
Regular
"8==="
It's one I intend to replay. On a higher difficulty setting if there are ones - I've forgotten.
Thu 30/12/04 at 23:21
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Just got free after planting a bomb to let out *Spoiler* the aliens. Great atmosphere at the moment.
Thu 30/12/04 at 22:50
Regular
"8==="
I put Halo 2 above Riddick because:

-Great multiplayer
-Great co-op
-Massive areas
-AI that reacts satisfyingly different each time you replay a section and face them in a massive battle in a massive area

Although I preferred the atmosphere of Riddick, it's more of a corridor shooter and it's got nothing on Halo in multiplayer (because it has none and they've admitted they couldn't equal the standards of Halo in multiplayer which is why they didn't include any).
Thu 30/12/04 at 03:33
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Thief 3 is most worthy. And thosey tricksy Pagans and theirs strangerness lingo.
Wed 29/12/04 at 22:27
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
I just bought that yesterday and I have to agree, theres nothing more satisfying than turning a guards gun on himself and blowing his head off in the dark. Down at the mines at the moment looking for Jaggar I think dont know if im far but it feels like an age.
Wed 29/12/04 at 03:11
Regular
Assuming this is only Xbox games I agree with a lot of those.

Although Halo 2 really is a very poor FPS, in single player at least. And not having Live, Riddick is my favourite Xbox FPS this year.
Wed 29/12/04 at 00:45
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Its never been done before?
Tue 28/12/04 at 15:44
Regular
"tokyo police club"
How the hell is putting Hide and Seek online an innovation?
Tue 28/12/04 at 13:10
Regular
"BOSE"
I can't remember, what does action replay do? I was playing with a bunch of people on BO3. One guy actually told us he had some cheat card pluged in and his xbox chiped so he could just drive THROUGH the traffic. I was like saying to him, WTF!? Why you telling us you're cheating? Why would you use that on burnout 3? Traffic is a big part of the game! I've heard a lot of people say "i hate the traffic!" i'm like, it's part of the game!
Mon 27/12/04 at 20:25
Regular
"Touched!"
Hey I can't help it if I'm good! *cuddles Action replay*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.