GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When all's said and done..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/11/04 at 18:46
Regular
It's not that great, is it?

I mean, I finished the first city and there is absolutely nothing that entices me back to play the next. Aside from the likes of Just Business and Reuniting the Families the missions were, if we're being honest, pretty crap. The characters (yes, all of them) were as annoying as hell and the plotline was small-time and dull.

Granted, these criticisms are most likely confined to the first city, which probably functioned as an introductionary stage. But as a third of the game, and the opening performance, surely it should have made more of an impression? With such an underwhelming beginning, can San Andreas really deserve all this acclaim?

I was pleased to see the level design improved over Vice City, but it's too big. Very little is memorable unlike the confined but familiar Liberty City of GTA3. Is bigger better? Really? Such a scale suits games like Morrowind, but I'm unsure whether or not it works here.

More generally, there's been no attempt to change the now outdated car physics, the graphics can be pretty awful in places and I don't think we needed all those unnecessary RPG-style complications - a stamina and muscle bar would've been nice, but nobody asked for The Sims on ground level. Furthermore, with this level of involvement, why does your character even speak? It's not the best idea to force us into being a person who we don't necessarily like/agree with.

The combat is good, planes and bikes are easier to drive and some other changes have genuinely been made for the good. They've tried to make it a worthy sequel, and there's enough new stuff here to say that they've achieved that, but in doing so they've overcomplicated a bulletproof formula that made GTA3 so much fun. I'm not saying San Andreas is a bad game, per se, nor am I trying to go against the crowd - it's just a pity that it will sell so much and, thus, be the game that represents the industry for quite some time.
Tue 23/11/04 at 13:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
What 'MC2' is your tagline referring to?
Fri 19/11/04 at 17:38
"STiLL <3 u"
WHaT iS WRoNG WiT You PeoPLe????
Thu 18/11/04 at 18:58
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I found it took longer to familiarise myself with Vice Cities layout than with SA.
Thu 18/11/04 at 17:57
"STiLL <3 u"
true.
Thu 18/11/04 at 16:42
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Ninjax wrote:
> WHAT!!! i know san andreas off by heart!! IT really is an easy layout
> i should know cos i couldnt memorise vice city at all but this i can.

If you couldn't memorise Vice City and you can memorise San Andreas, then you have something seriously wrong in your head.
Tue 16/11/04 at 19:50
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I think it's brilliant.

I didn't like Vice City
Tue 16/11/04 at 18:01
"STiLL <3 u"
i agree with Mav..but..its fkn GTA...idiots
Tue 16/11/04 at 16:32
Regular
"boom boom click"
the level design does help. anyone esle not able to memorise the first island and some of the second in vice city cos i sure as hell cant! GTA3 was easy but i hated the pointless third island.
Mon 15/11/04 at 23:43
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
I agree with AJ.

I think in the next encounter Rockstar need to subsitute in new features in place of a bigger map.

What if there was a two player mode that was actually half decent? System Link Xbox anyone? Xbox Live/PS2 Online anyone? Of course by the next game it'll probably be on a new console, and hopefully these new ideas and freshness can be achieved with more ease. The game has outgrown the PS2.
Mon 15/11/04 at 21:28
I think the problem with this map is that in the cities, the roads just seem to be grid systems, and because of the huge size it's all very similar. That's probably why Ninjax finds this layout easier, and other find it hard, there's no features to look out for etc. The only place I feel I totally know is the country, but that's because it's so varied.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.