GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Expect the unexpected!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/11/04 at 06:15
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
The surprise of this last generation of consoles is most notably the success of the Xbox. Holding its own against the GameCube, and not going the way of the 3DO or Atari Jaguar.

Microsoft had some great initiative at the start, even realising they messed up the controller fairly quickly.. releasing the controller S in response. Nintendo to be fair made a mistake with their puny sized memory cards which were unsuitable for many sport games.

Its true that both Microsoft and Nintendo have really put up a good fight against the PS2, both slashing prices and lowering game prices as a result. Gamers have never had it better with so many good games available so much cheaply... however I havent seen the blood fly yet...

...but its comming. Soon someone will go out of the hardware bussiness.

One has to admire Nintendo in all this, they havent got the resources (cash) of Microsoft or Sony but they keep plodding along... The recent release of the $99 MarioKart GameCube bundle in the USA, or Donkey Konga bundle in the UK shows how determined they are to stay in the fight. Microsoft have of course just released Halo 2, a great game... but Microsoft may lose a chance to kill Nintendo, or even Sony.

I have always wondered why game companys dont really do something great to sell a console... the MarioKart bundle is a hinting at it... but imagine what a Halo2 bundle would do for Microsoft.

Why dont they do it! Because they dont see the need to take the risk, somewhere along the line Microsoft lost its guts!

Selling a Halo 2 bundle would mean less profit from Halo2 software sales, but they could make some money back on Xbox live. In the mean time they would get people to buy more Xboxs, increasing the userbase and creating a perception of upcomming dominance.

Nintendo has managed to keep the GameCube console cheap, but has not bundled Wavebird controllers and big memory cards with its consoles.

Sony has done the least, sure the new PS2 looks nice but its hardly going to cut it.. if they bundled it with an eye toy maybe Ild pay attention.

It truely is a great time to be a gamer, however I would really love to see some killer bundles delievered for Chritmas from any of the three manufacturers.

Why give us one game, give us Four! Why give us one pad, give us two! Why not give us a memory card, eyetoy or headset!

If I as a consumer have to weigh up which console I should buy this Christmas... then the pack aint good enough!

Would The MegaCD have flopped if Sega put 35 good megadrive games on one CD and bundled it with the hardware! There was enough space for 1400 Megadrive games on a CD... but they didnt take the risk, they didnt sell us the product... we had to think.

If Nintendo was selling a GameCube with 2 WaveBird controllers a Memory Card, MarioKart DD, Zelda WW and Metroid for £100 would you think or just buy!

If Microsoft was selling the Xbox with 2 controllers, a headset, Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden and 4 free months of Xbox live for £100... would you think or just buy!

I could do a similar bundle for the PS2 but you get the point, I would love not to have to think about which console to buy... but theyre all so good its a hard decision. Someone needs to make the choice easier, by taking a loss and devouring the competition!

Im all for making bold predictions so here goes, I think the Playstation 3 may end up being the big flop of the next generation... I just got that feeling that Sony may be to greedy and underestimate the competition. In the mean time Im looking forward to a future of bloody price wars!
Mon 15/11/04 at 17:59
Regular
Metroid Prime 2 + GC + memory card seems an obvious choice.
Mon 15/11/04 at 17:17
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
What Console Bundle would you guys like to see this Christmas?
Mon 15/11/04 at 06:15
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
The surprise of this last generation of consoles is most notably the success of the Xbox. Holding its own against the GameCube, and not going the way of the 3DO or Atari Jaguar.

Microsoft had some great initiative at the start, even realising they messed up the controller fairly quickly.. releasing the controller S in response. Nintendo to be fair made a mistake with their puny sized memory cards which were unsuitable for many sport games.

Its true that both Microsoft and Nintendo have really put up a good fight against the PS2, both slashing prices and lowering game prices as a result. Gamers have never had it better with so many good games available so much cheaply... however I havent seen the blood fly yet...

...but its comming. Soon someone will go out of the hardware bussiness.

One has to admire Nintendo in all this, they havent got the resources (cash) of Microsoft or Sony but they keep plodding along... The recent release of the $99 MarioKart GameCube bundle in the USA, or Donkey Konga bundle in the UK shows how determined they are to stay in the fight. Microsoft have of course just released Halo 2, a great game... but Microsoft may lose a chance to kill Nintendo, or even Sony.

I have always wondered why game companys dont really do something great to sell a console... the MarioKart bundle is a hinting at it... but imagine what a Halo2 bundle would do for Microsoft.

Why dont they do it! Because they dont see the need to take the risk, somewhere along the line Microsoft lost its guts!

Selling a Halo 2 bundle would mean less profit from Halo2 software sales, but they could make some money back on Xbox live. In the mean time they would get people to buy more Xboxs, increasing the userbase and creating a perception of upcomming dominance.

Nintendo has managed to keep the GameCube console cheap, but has not bundled Wavebird controllers and big memory cards with its consoles.

Sony has done the least, sure the new PS2 looks nice but its hardly going to cut it.. if they bundled it with an eye toy maybe Ild pay attention.

It truely is a great time to be a gamer, however I would really love to see some killer bundles delievered for Chritmas from any of the three manufacturers.

Why give us one game, give us Four! Why give us one pad, give us two! Why not give us a memory card, eyetoy or headset!

If I as a consumer have to weigh up which console I should buy this Christmas... then the pack aint good enough!

Would The MegaCD have flopped if Sega put 35 good megadrive games on one CD and bundled it with the hardware! There was enough space for 1400 Megadrive games on a CD... but they didnt take the risk, they didnt sell us the product... we had to think.

If Nintendo was selling a GameCube with 2 WaveBird controllers a Memory Card, MarioKart DD, Zelda WW and Metroid for £100 would you think or just buy!

If Microsoft was selling the Xbox with 2 controllers, a headset, Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden and 4 free months of Xbox live for £100... would you think or just buy!

I could do a similar bundle for the PS2 but you get the point, I would love not to have to think about which console to buy... but theyre all so good its a hard decision. Someone needs to make the choice easier, by taking a loss and devouring the competition!

Im all for making bold predictions so here goes, I think the Playstation 3 may end up being the big flop of the next generation... I just got that feeling that Sony may be to greedy and underestimate the competition. In the mean time Im looking forward to a future of bloody price wars!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.