GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Banning Junk Food in Schools"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/11/04 at 00:10
Regular
Banning Junk Food in Schools

Obesity is a growing problem in the UK. Since 1982 this huge problem has doubled and it seems to get worse day by day. And the main reason behind this growing problem is the food we eat. Over 25% of us are overweight, and one in ten of us are obese. Now I don’t know what your opinion is on that, but from my point of view this is a worrying fact. And to make matters worse, one in five children at the age of 6 are overweight, meaning that this problem starts in children at a very young age. But the main reason behind this problem is the amount of unhealthy and fat food we plough through every day. And, although at home this is a major issue, one of the biggest reasons behind this growing obesity problem is the food we eat at school.

To start with, we come to the issue of Vending machines. We all know the situation. It’s a break time and you’re feeling very hungry. There are no meals on offer at dinner time, and the queues for breakfast food are so long you can’t be bothered to wait. Then you see the Vending machines, sitting there, waiting for you to put your money into them. As you look through the glass casing, you can see rows and rows of crisps ad chocolate bars, screaming at you to be eaten. The temptation is too much, and you find yourself a minute later munching through a chocolate bar. Repeat this process throughout the year and you’ll be putting large amounts of fat into your bodies, and that’s not even including lunch times. Vending machines are fast and easy ways of making money, and are fast and easy ways of destroying your health.

This is a major problem that can’t be ignored. We can’t keep giving into the temptation of Vending machines and healthier alternatives must be introduced into schools. I don’t see why we need Vending machines in schools and I feel that the best way to tackle this problem is to ban them completely. But, if schools do want to enforce Vending machines then healthier food must be available. We need less sugary and fatty food on display in that glass window and more healthier alternatives, such as ‘Nutri-Grain’ bars. But we must also make sure that these healthy foods do appeal to us, and are not the usual ‘bird-seed’ tasting food health addicts love to eat. We need to fight the temptation of these monstrous machines, and tasty, healthier alternatives need to be introduced.

But without a doubt the biggest issue on junk food in schools in School dinners. An average child’s school meal costs around 42p, and when you compare that to the fact that a prisoner’s meal costs around 60p, something has to be done. But again it’s that temptation that forces you to eat the unhealthy way. In the canteen you will see huge queues for fast and hot food, with huge stalls set up to satisfy the pupil’s needs. Then, in the corner of your eye you’ll catch the sandwich section. A small stall set up with only a few pupils buying from it. If we are going to stop this increasing problem of obesity in our schools we need to promote healthy eating and promote it soon. Schools need to start offering pupils a much larger range of healthy foods, and cut down on the amount of junk food offered in the canteen. It is down t the schools and the choices of food they offer us, and we need to stand up against the temptation and opt for a more healthier diet.

And it’s not just the food we are eating every day. Fizzy drinks also play a role in a growing population of obese people in the UK. At the canteen, schools need to stop offering huge amounts of fizzy drinks to pupils and offer healthier drinks such as water and squash. The additives and sugars in fizzy drinks are very bad for our bodies, and we need to stop consuming such huge amounts of health-threatening drinks.

To make our diets more healthy and stop ourselves becoming a ‘statistic’, we need to improve our diets and soon. Schools need to start offering us foods with much less fat and additive content, and offer us a range of foods that are required for a balanced diet. More carbohydrates and proteins are needed in school foods, and not the huge amounts of fat that are lingering at the present moment in school foods. Schools also need to offer us healthier drinks, and not the huge amounts of sugar and additives that are currently available for us to purchase.

I’m not suggesting that we ban junk food completely, because it’s up to us what we eat and if you want to poison your body with fatty deposits then that’s up to you. But if the UK are going to tackle this obesity problem then the amount of junk food available to purchase is decreased and a healthier range of food is introduced so that more people can leave the fatty foods on the stall and try healthier alternatives. Obesity is dangerous within children and can lead to type II diabetes, and if we are going to attempt to solve this problem we need to start now. For the UK, for our children and for us.
Wed 17/11/04 at 06:48
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I'm going to read this properly later when my eyes are focused.
What constitutes being overweight these days is not much, so any survey that says a huge percentage are is an overreaction.
I seem to remember reading not long ago that Pasta was the most popular food in schools now and either chips or baked beans weren't in the top ten, now pasta is healthy but it's also high carb so it's hardly going to help kids lose weight.
Tue 16/11/04 at 22:07
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Might help. Actually, yeah, would help, thinking about it. My college got rid of the vending machines recently, now I'm much more likely to get some water rather than coke and a sandwich or something rather than chocolate. Thing about vending machines is that they're so easy, that affects your choice of food.

Banning advertising of junk food would be the easiest and most effective way of tackling obeseity. Or a breakdown of civilisation causing us to return to agarian sociaty.
Tue 16/11/04 at 21:43
Regular
Pffft, I eat more junk food than the majority of the world put together, but because I exercie enough I'm not a fat pie.
Tue 16/11/04 at 02:47
Regular
"Monster kill!"
Fozz wrote:
> if adults are allowed to smoke and drink, kids should be allowed to
> stuff their faces with sweets. heh. I dont think the issue is a
> general one as each person is different. some people have faster
> metabolisms so the same rules cant apply.

Smoking on our school property was banned just 2 weeks ago, and some of the cleaners complained XD
Mon 15/11/04 at 14:45
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
if adults are allowed to smoke and drink, kids should be allowed to stuff their faces with sweets. heh. I dont think the issue is a general one as each person is different. some people have faster metabolisms so the same rules cant apply.
Mon 15/11/04 at 00:21
Regular
"cachoo"
kurt wrote:
> But a complete ban on junk food is ridiculous! You should be able to
> choose what to eat. Its not their right to cut down on fatty foods
> just because some fat little kids complain of being 200pounds
> overweight because of their school, its the kids actions to choose
> what food to eat.

Whether it's completely different now, but in my school, you never did have any choice. It was all set food every day. Beans, sausages, chips, fizzy drinks, all sorts of tasty but bad stuff. I don't remember there being any salad or fruit, or even bottled water. Suppose they were on a budget.

We can't help it if salt and sugar is addictive! Adults can control it, but I really can't understand how kids can.
Mon 15/11/04 at 00:08
Regular
"Monster kill!"
I guess this is a good idea in some areas of schools, In my school its quite balanced, some people go to the vending machines and buy chocolate, some go with the healthy foods.

But a complete ban on junk food is ridiculous! You should be able to choose what to eat. Its not their right to cut down on fatty foods just because some fat little kids complain of being 200pounds overweight because of their school, its the kids actions to choose what food to eat.

A while ago, some guy in the usa sued Mac'Donalds,
He sued them for "making" him obese, and severley overweight!
Mac'Donalds is not responsable for his weight/health/whatever! He should know his limitations, and he should have stopped eating fast food. The staff in Mac'Donalds cant refuse to sell you your food is your obese!
If this was too happen more often, then any average joe could walk in to mac'donalds, gain 200pounds, and sue them half a million pounds! It's ridiculous.

So, to sum up my post, i think it is rediculous that schools are thinking about banning junk food. If this was to happen, the kids would go out into the neighbourhood and go to a fast food shop, e.g. chinese, macdonalds,pizarea etc.

Lol, this feels like I am writing an essay! O_o;;
Sun 14/11/04 at 16:07
"R.I.P Acestar"
I live off vending machines as
A.There is always a long queue for the cafeteria
B.They serve healthy gruel in the cafeteria.Mabye if they made the healthy food a bit more..err..better than gruel I'd go in there.
Sat 13/11/04 at 20:06
Regular
I think one of the best ways to make people aware of themsleves is to take the mickey out of them.

So when each kid gets above a certain weigh, you just lock them in a room and laugh at them until they decide to diet or exercise a bit.

Banning junk food in school will just push McDonald's profits even higher from armies of deprived kids wading in after school or at the weekend.
Sat 13/11/04 at 19:33
Regular
if i were to bet against you id lose

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.